Considering A Wiz And Have A Few Questions And Concerns,

Crookedmouth, it sounds like you've already made your decision but I thought I would throw in my opinion anyhow.

I owned a PSP and actually sold it in order to buy a Wiz and I am very happy with my decision.

I had the custom firmware installed and I had a ton of actual PSP games but none of them were very compelling to me, at the end of the day I realized the only thing I was ever playing on my PSP were classic console emulators (NES, Genesis, TG16) so I asked myself whats the point? The PSP is WAY too big in size to put in my pocket, the battery life stinks, the actual PSP games were of no interest to me and to be honest, I felt really silly when people saw me playing old NES games on my big clunky PSP, but on the Wiz it's okay, because most people don't know what the hell it is in the first place, haha. So yeah I'm happy with the Wiz, and because it's so tiny I basically take it everywhere with me.

Yeah the OLED screen, size, battery life, and slight speed improvement was a seller for me. I also have PSP with custom firmware. The only reason I use it anymore is to play old PS1 games. It's actually the only reason I never sold my PSP. It's a japanese launch PSP so it besically has the worst lcd ever. So buying a Wiz and seeing MAME games, snes, TG-16/pce, and Genesis/MD on an OLED is well worth it, regardless of the screen tear. The Amiga also runs decent. Small speed increase for amiga games. Same goes for SNES. There's a nice little speed increase as well when overclocking. I can get a couple hours of SNES overclocking to about 800mhz. Also playing my whole TG-16/PC-Engine collection on the go is the main reson I bought it.

With all due respect, i think the reason dev for the wiz is slow right now is due to the fact its summer time on the northern hemisphere. When the fall season hits things will pick up and during the winter months i bet this device gets alot of love. Its just poor timing that the latest batch of units was released at the start of summer, therefore things are slow at the moment.

I ordered the Wiz on Friday and have just a few more questions.

What does everyone think is the best way to go regarding SD cards?
Should I grab something that is 133X or does high speed not needed?
I have a bunch of 2GB Sandisk and PNY MicroSD cards with the SD adapters.
Would these work just as well as the 15MB per second cards?

I found a USB AC Wall adapter that should work (since the "official" one was out of stock.
It is a 5.2V, 1000mA wall unit. Will the 5.2V cause a problem?

Thanks everyone.

Back