A Few Questions

GoldenHarvest

Still Fresh
I've been looking at the Wiz for quite some time now, and I might be interested in buying it. There's just a few questions that I have that will undoubtedly decide whether I purchase it or not. I'm really hoping this community will be able to answer them.

1. Many of the Reviews I have read about it say that when the Wiz first came out, it wasn't a big leap from the GP2X but with the help of homebrewers it could become great. Has this happened yet? Are the emulators stable enough to play most if not all games?

2. Is the Homebrew Community for the Wiz consistent with releases?

3. I own Nintendo DS Lite, and I love the little homebrew apps their community makes. Can I expect this type of apps from the Wiz homebrew scene?

4. I heard that at the beginning the Wiz video output wasn't so great, has this been fixed with a good converter that has above decent video quality?

5. I run Linux Ubuntu 8.10, and I think I might give Homebrewing a try with the Wiz. Is the homebrew software used to make games compatible with the Ubuntu?

6. The Controls for The Wiz are a bit different than other handhelds, is it easy to get used to them or are they just terrible?

Thank you so much for your time people, and I really hope you can answer my questions. : )

EDIT: Oh, right I forgot one thing. What I'm looking for is a good handheld that has good emulation, with great homebrew support. Is this it, or would the Dingoo be an overall better choice? Thank you very much peeps 8D

Hi GoldenHarvest,

I own both the wiz and the dingoo. I would say that if the money is not an issue for you, you should get the wiz. Better quality, better screen (far better), better controls (the L and R buttons on the dingoo are terrible)... but a little fat compared to the dingoo. The wiz is also more powerfull and is better for example to play old nintendo an sega 16bits consoles. The quality of the included 2D games are also better on the wiz (the games included with the dingoo use the gba emulator and don't fit the screen resolution, and they are quite ugly). There is no 3D games included with the wiz, but i don't like very much the ones included with the dingoo (still better than nothing), they are unplayable.

The advantage of the dingoo is that the vidéo playback is better. This point has been improved on the wiz thanks to firmware 1.1.0 (hopefully). The battery life of the dingoo is better.

EDIT :

And i forgot a last point about the dingoo. A last point that made me buy a wiz... you can't use simultaneously the Y and B buttons. You have to reasign your controls, it pissed me off. It's unacceptable on a playing device, even a cheap one.

Thank you very much for answering some of my questions Jayles, I appreciate it a lot. I think I'm definitely gonna go for the Wiz, I love the portable aspect of it. If anyone can answer any of my other questions, I eagerly await : ) and thanks once again Jayles : )

Think about the controls this way, your more than likely hinting at the right side abxy buttons right? They are single buttons right? yes, so now think about this, what makes them any different than playstation and xbox360 button layout? they're not circles and they're not spaced way out from each other. Other than those two differences, same thing bud :)

Dunno about the video output, I watched righteous kill on 1.1.0 firmware which was the first and only movie i've watched on it and it was good enough for me. picture was plenty clear and no slowdowns nice loud audio too.

The emulators all run pretty damn well atm, theres a couple GBA games that don't work well but oh well. The homebrew's are starting to come out more and more but I really bought my wiz for emulators and hoping someone ports the java emulator (not ported yet)

GoldenHarvest said:
1. Many of the Reviews I have read about it say that when the Wiz first came out, it wasn't a big leap from the GP2X but with the help of homebrewers it could become great. Has this happened yet? Are the emulators stable enough to play most if not all games?
SNES, GBA, Mame, Genesis, they are all very playable, not all perfect but it keeps on getting better, so the answer is yes.

2. Is the Homebrew Community for the Wiz consistent with releases?
The release are keeping comming, ofcourse at the start it was more as at the moment, but homebrew always has those spikes of activity.

3. I own Nintendo DS Lite, and I love the little homebrew apps their community makes. Can I expect this type of apps from the Wiz homebrew scene?
Depends where you are aiming at, Emu's, homebrew games, some great apps are here already and more to come

4. I heard that at the beginning the Wiz video output wasn't so great, has this been fixed with a good converter that has above decent video quality?
The videoplayer still needs some work to do, but maybe we get a own made mediaplayer? And the converter Badack is already good to wacht movies on your Wiz.

5. I run Linux Ubuntu 8.10, and I think I might give Homebrewing a try with the Wiz. Is the homebrew software used to make games compatible with the Ubuntu?
There are serval ways to make games for the Wiz, on of them is Fenix, just have a look at Ruckage games. That will run on linux.

6. The Controls for The Wiz are a bit different than other handhelds, is it easy to get used to them or are they just terrible?
This is just my humble opinion: at first you think, damn... After a while you get used to it and it playrs pretty nice :)

Thank you so much for your time people, and I really hope you can answer my questions. : )

EDIT: Oh, right I forgot one thing. What I'm looking for is a good handheld that has good emulation, with great homebrew support. Is this it, or would the Dingoo be an overall better choice? Thank you very much peeps 8D
I don't own a Dingoo, but that was because I already preferd the Wiz above the Dingoo because OLED en size.

Hope this helps. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for answering all my questions guys, you were a really big help. I'm definitely going to buy the Wiz, I know I'll have a good time with it. Thanks once again for your help : )

Alrighty, thanks peeps. So I ordered my Wiz today, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for some Fenix tutorials for Linux Ubuntu : )

Well the GP2X Fenix wiki Here

That gives you some redirects to the official Fenix website.
Learn how to program Fenix for the GP2X, and that will be easy to convert to Wiz working software.
Need to search what you need for that but a run at the Ruckage games for Wiz will get you there ;)

Dude, you are hereby awesome xD Thank you so much for your help, I hope to be able to a good addon to this great community. Thanks everyone once again for everything, I appreciate it so much : )

Back