Corrupted graphics

docs

Still Fresh
Sorry my first post on these boards is a bit of a downer, as I love what I've seen my pandora do so far (and if I've wrecked mine in some silly way I'll promptly join the queue again to buy a new one)...

I've had my pandora for 1 week now (no.963) and have developed a problem with the screen, but I'm having trouble determining if it's a repeat of the LCD cable problems reported by earlier users or not.

After 4 days of perfect running (albeit with the date-set problem) the graphics on boot-up were showing a drop in resolution, confused colours and everything slightly darker. This became progressively bad over several reboots and was not remedied by battery removal or hard reset. Finally the screen would go blank after the initial pandora logo on bootup and there it would hang with only the battery light on.

Reflashing the unit with the flashkit downloaded on 31-8-10 has rescued the booting up, but not the graphical problems. I've rebooted only three times since then and things haven't deteriorated further, but the graphics are currently bad enough that only ASCII-based Angband is displaying as originally intended.

Subsequent use of Hotfix 4 hasn't touched it either. But I'm worried about necessitating further reflashes until I know whether what I have needs to be returned for repairs or not. The fact that the initial reflash brought the unit back from the brink makes me worry I might have more issues than just a loose LCD cable.

Any ideas?

Closest uses of pandora to problems starting: VICE64 > UAE4ALL > Angband > ASCIIp0rtal > PandoraPanic > briefly charging a Nokia E72 off the usb (smoking gun?).

Cheers Alerino!

That's sort of what I wanted to hear :)

Going to miss the little fella!

Yes, it sounds like the lcd cable.

Yesterday the purple screen of death started happening to me too, for the second time. And since this Pandora I have, in theory had its screen cable mounted 'in the proper way', I wonder how solid the cable really is, and if its breakage its going to be inevitable at some point or another for everyone.

Well, I think I'll have to send it sooner than I thought.

That's a good question, my cable still works after months of usage, and so far only 2 or 3 from the newer batches have failed, whereas a lot from the first ones failed. The LCD cable is pretty tricky to put into the hinge properly, if it's not 100% inserted, it will fail at some time.

Using the new tool makes it nigh perfect, but some might still fail.

We're also discussing with the LCD-Cable production company if they have any ideas making this more sturdy.

Is there anything which is practical to do with a failing but still usable cable other than waiting for it to fail completely then sending it back to Craigix for some TLC? It seems the hinge fitting is one-way only, so I guess not.

Is there anything which is practical to do with a failing but still usable cable other than waiting for it to fail completely then sending it back to Craigix for some TLC? It seems the hinge fitting is one-way only, so I guess not.

Not really, no :(

I'm considering opening up the bottom and just trying to reseat the cable. It may simple have become loose in the weeks of opening and closing. But I'm waiting for it to fail a little more before trying. By then I might have my second Pandora anyway and won't mind sending it in for repairs.

I'm curious. Where along the cable does it typically fail? board end of the cable, lcd end, somewhere along the middle, where it exits the case, in the hinge, where it enters the lcd section?

And does it always (or almost always) fail at the the same/similar location?

I'm considering opening up the bottom and just trying to reseat the cable. It may simple have become loose in the weeks of opening and closing. But I'm waiting for it to fail a little more before trying. By then I might have my second Pandora anyway and won't mind sending it in for repairs.

True, might also be the case - this fixed two of my units.

Some LCD cables seem to be a bit thin and move out of the connector after a while. If that fixes it, use some tape to make it fit better.

Happy ending to my little story.

Returned my pandora on Monday and it was fixed and returned to me Saturday morning!

5 days turnaround!

Thanks Pandora Team!

:wub:

Back