Cost. Ouch

not really, but any actual phone is prone to break, including the apple one, I can't count the number of Samsung and Apple with broken screen I see everyday in the train. the hate toward Apple is just related to the fact that they sell you some "quality" at gold price when in fact it's of the same level as other brands...

The "quality" of Apple is basically that both in terms of hardware as software, they have a huge amount of control about how things are done. This is hugely restrictive, but at the same time it helps a lot to create a uniform and very polished user experience. Everything about Apple is as closed as its gets though. The quality of their hardware and software is certainly nothing exceptional, but just like any big fast food chain, they offer a very consistent product: it's not the best product you can imagine, but at least you pretty much know what you can expect and for many, that's good enough. Also like fast food chains, their sales mostly depend on marketing and brand recognition, not so much the inherent quality of the product, and they make huge profits based on terrible working conditions of their employees. Unlike fast food chains, they also make huge profits with the sales of virtual products (iTunes, apps, in-app purchases), which in turn depends heavily on having very strong DRM and making their users sign absurdly long terms and conditions that essentially turn your device that you think you own into something you rent from Apple, but is still owned and controlled by them. If you try to do anything with your iDevice Apple doesn't want you to do with it, they can and will sue you.

Essentially the Apple business model (or that of any other big name, it's just that Apple and Sony are currently the most extreme ones) is the exact opposite of that of the OpenPandora.

Well, I've always seen Apple-ism as a kind of braincontrol cult... :D

The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget Steve Jobs. -Psalms 9:17

APPLE is the ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN -John 14:6

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all Windows users, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death -Revelation 21:8

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not Apple, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Steve Jobs -2 Thessalonians 1:8
I can't see the connection to Apple either. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
 (Why is there so much hate of other products on these boards?)
 My hate of Apple is enumerated below.  I pulled apart someone else's quote to separate out all the points he made about Apple with which I agree.  The bolded ones are BIGGIES for me.  The bolded and underlined ones are GRAND-ROYAL BIGGIES for me

Apple - both in terms of hardware as software, is hugely restrictive.

Everything about Apple is as closed as its gets.
The quality of their hardware and software is certainly nothing exceptional, but just like any big fast food chain, they offer a very consistent product.

It's not the best product you can imagine, but at least you pretty much know what you can expect and for many, that's good enough.

Also like fast food chains, their sales mostly depend on marketing and brand recognition, not so much the inherent quality of the product.
The above three points is where my quote about most people being too meat-headed to know what they REALLY want comes in.

They also make huge profits with the sales of virtual products which in turn depends heavily on having very strong DRM.
Apple makes users sign absurdly long terms and conditions that turn your device that you think you own into something you rent from Apple.

If you try to do anything with your iDevice Apple doesn't want you to do with it, they can and will sue you.
Apple makes huge profits based on terrible working conditions of their employees.

Essentially the Apple business model is the exact opposite of that of the OpenPandora.
You need any more reasons to hate Apple?

The biggest one is the part where you do not really own your device...you basically pay to purchase it...and instead get a lifetime lease on the product - because you do not control it - they can remotely update it to function in ways it did not before, and may be undesired...or to not function in a way it used to...and which may be undesired.

Nintendo DSi is an example of this.  In order to continue using my Acekard, I have to make sure I never allow it to "update" the firmware, because any firmware "update" is guaranteed to disable my Acekard once again.  I LIKE homebrew stuff, and can't do that stuff without an Acekard.

The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget Steve Jobs. -Psalms 9:17

APPLE is the ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN -John 14:6

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all Windows users, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death -Revelation 21:8

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not Apple, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Steve Jobs -2 Thessalonians 1:8
I can't see the connection to Apple either. :)
Just for completeness, the actual top comment on that YouTube turd-polishing video is this one:

I think the connection between that comment and Apple is pretty obvious, if not trivial.

Regarding all the software (including games like Frogatto etc...) you get for free with it, the classic Pandora (279€) is very inexpensive,

even if you ignore the background, the great sound chip, the keyboard, the two SD-slots, etc...

For 279€ you get a 3DS-XL and around 3 of the major games from Nintendo,

the screen resolution is far worse and you cannot do much with it.

Nobody cares about the background, so maybe we should argue this way.

Regarding all the software (including games like Frogatto etc...) you get for free with it, the classic Pandora (279€) is very inexpensive,

even if you ignore the background, the great sound chip, the keyboard, the two SD-slots, etc...

For 279€ you get a 3DS-XL and around 3 of the major games from Nintendo,

the screen resolution is far worse and you cannot do much with it.

Nobody cares about the background, so maybe we should argue this way.
But the 3DS has two screens, one of which is 3D, and it has two cameras!

I'm just kidding.

Yes, if you compare the cost of a Pandora to that of a 3DS or Vita with a couple of games (some games are 50 EUR or more!), the Pandora is not expensive at all. Not to mention what you save because you can use standard accessories like SD cards and USB stuff instead of having to use overpriced proprietary variants of them.

Yes, if you compare the cost of a Pandora to that of a 3DS or Vita with a couple of games (some games are 50 EUR or more!), the Pandora is not expensive at all. Not to mention what you save because you can use standard accessories like SD cards and USB stuff instead of having to use overpriced proprietary variants of them.
Yep. In the end, you have spent less money for the Pandora to play, even if you got the ultimate top notch 1GHz badass edition with custom case.

So... there is no need to rant about the price of a classic pandora. ;)

I would never hesitate to recommend a high clocked Rebirth Edition for everyone that has the money available.

Many of these overpriced effect overloaded mainstream games seem to be designed not to have a high replay value and we got quite the opposite.

I can play Pewpew2, Wesnoth, Super Geometry Dust, etc.. over and over again.

Do I need to mention 10 hours of your old SNES/NES/GB/SEGA/PSX/C64/Amiga/Atari/Whatever-games, Firefox, etc... on the go?

It is not expensive. Over and out.

Thank you.  that is another point to mention.  I REALLY HATE proprietary stuff.  It limits what peripherals you can use, and so on, when you go proprietary.

This is why, although I DO use Windows...I have my computers built whitebox custom for me.  I used to do it myself, and still could, but I generally do not have the time I once did.  I have about six computers, in various staqges of repair, in my spare room, my "project computers" and haven't had time to do much with them, either.

I don't mess around with laptops, though, I'm not really skilled at pulling them apart and putting them back together or anything, but any tower, and I can do it.

I'm actually much better at dealing with computer hardware, rather than software.

Back