Could A Neo Geo Emulator Ever Be Done On Gp32?

Short answer: no.

A NGCD emu is most likely but the potential size of the ROMs is a big stumbling block. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will fill in the details, but basically I wouldn't hold your breath if you're expecting Neo Geo emulation on your GP32. Sorry.

What about emulating 32x? We are already half way there with DrMD. Go on Reesy, you can do it :)

RatchetMan.

It would be cool, but I doubt It'll ever happen. I mean look at the snes emus.

I beleive Ryleh started one but the roms were to big to be held in the GP32's Memory, maybe possible with a Ram upgrade but I don't think that will ever take off.

I remember having Neo Geo metal slug running on my old P166MMX Laptop that had 64mb of Ram... (Playable) Albeit slowly...

Seve.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about emulating 32x? We are already half way there with DrMD. Go on Reesy, you can do it :)

RatchetMan.

The Megadrive CD add on may be possible to emulate one day, but a 32x emulator is probably impossible. Firstly, the 32x emulation is based purely on the genesis emulation, that is the genesis emulation needs to be perfect(really perfect) before the 32x emulation can be attempted. Second, the 32x is 23mhz there the genesis is only 7.6mhz, thats 3x the power(you'd need 400-500mhz), then there are the advanced graphics of the 32x capable of 50k polygons a sec and w/o dedicated graphics that is even more work for the gp32 to do. I suppose that is why the PC 32x emulator usually needs a 750-1ghz processor to run it. Honestly, the PC 32x emulatros aren't all that great either. I think SNES emulation is the peak of 16-bit emulation capable on the gp32, and that is why so many people want better emulation for it.

Don't be ridiculous guys. DrMD is written in optimized ASM and just barely eeks out full speed MD with some frameskip. While most games are smooth it is on the edge, and maxxing out the GP32 CPU. There is another CPU in SegaCD and a DSP, 32X has more CPUs DSPs etc. Neo Geo has many of the same CPUs as MD but they run like twice as fast.

So the final answer is NO WAY!! for playable emus of any of these.

Right, the 32x on the GP32 will never be emulated. As for the NEO*GEO, I think it operates with a 12.5 MHz 68K + a Z80 at about 8MHz. Throw in its specialized MVS graphics chipset and I highly doubt the gp32_console could ever emulate all of this at a decent speed (even heavily overclocked). Not to mention the massive sized roms of the more recent games combined with the GP's ram limitations.

We have had this discussion a million times and it seems like every week some one starts up a repeated topic. The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. However, while I do find this entraining have we really run out of topics to talk about?

emulating the neo should be possible as i run Metal slug 3 on my 154mhz cyrix arcade cabinet. (neorageX)

It is is not extremely smooth
BUT BUT BUT BUT,
IT HAS 128MEGS of ram!

And thats the main problem, people.

MAYBE you could run puzzle bobble1 (4mb) or puzzle de pon (1.5mb) or league bowling and stuff.....
and only if its programmed entirely in ASM

Technically (and i mean technically) we already have the emulator the neo geo would run its roms on. Its called mame (multi arcade machine emulator), I'm guessing you havent tried mame yet otherwise you probably thought twice about asking this question. I have ran Double Dragon almost perfectly with sound on a well overclocked gp32 (not recommended but who cares) at about 200+mhz. Double dragon is hardly brakeing new technilogical barriers. Infact mame on the Gp32 can and will only ever emulate early 80's arcade machines. The neo geo came in the form of a arcade machine but appeared in the early 90's if im not wrong. So mame will never support its roms. Personally im not gutted because ive played the neo geo and I really dont know why anybody could justify paying over £100 for a game in the early 90's. Most of them were crap but the neo geo was a enthusasts machine and the most powerful home 16bit console of the early 90's/ever. I guess if you owned one back then that was something to brag about !!

Personally im not gutted because ive played the neo geo and I really dont know why anybody could justify paying over £100 for a game in the early 90's.

SNK were still releasing new Neo-Geo games until 2003. Its heyday was the mid/late 90's. Also, the MVS plugs into a standard JAMMA board primarily for compatability reasons. All the power is on the MVS board itself, so MAME shouldn't be able to run those ROMs without a lot of hard work. I'm not 100%, but I don't think MAME automatically supports all JAMMA compatible devices.

emulating the neo should be possible as i run Metal slug 3 on my 154mhz cyrix arcade cabinet. (neorageX)

It is is not extremely smooth
BUT BUT BUT BUT,
IT HAS 128MEGS of ram!

And thats the main problem, people.

MAYBE you could run puzzle bobble1 (4mb) or puzzle de pon (1.5mb) or league bowling and stuff.....
and only if its programmed entirely in ASM

I do wish people would realise that some things just arent possible.

If Metal Slug 3 runs on your 154 mhz PC with 128 megs of ram it doesnt mean it'll run on a 400 mhz PPC or 166 mhz GP32.

Old MAME games used to run on processors of 4 mhz, doesnt mean that a 400 mhz PPC will run the game 100 times as quicker or better or a GP32 will.

The 'mhz' for each machine whether its a 1982 Arcade machine or a 1992 Amiga game doesnt mean it'll easily be able to run on a machine all because the mhz is much higher. Much more to it than that.

Newbies seem to think it'll be so easy to get some arcade games running straight away because 'i can get it to run on my 155 mhz PC' etc !

Back