Could It Run Opera Unite?

Sofox

Still Fresh
Forgive my possible ignorance, but I was wondering if Opera Unite ( http://unite.opera.com ) could run on the Pandora(not mini Opera, that's different).
The site does give Linux distributions, but only apparently for 32bit, 64bit and PowerPC (not the ARM Pandora uses). At the same time, I heard that Debian distributions could just be deployed on the device so I'm not sure what to think.

For those who don't know about Opera Unite, it actually incorporates a webserver with some easy to use features. What you can do with it is extremely varied, anything from having a website on your computer that others can view to letting people stream any of your songs from your music folder to allowing you to access files on your computer from anywhere with internet access.

Nope, but it should run the Opera Minis that use Java. I don't see Opera targeting an ARM device with Unite, not many handhelds have the power for the desktop Opera + a webserver

I looked around on the dev pages, and I didn't see any links for a source download, so The answer is probably: no. If you can get the source and someone is willing to port it, then you might be able to use it on a pandora.
A Deb package is just a format of holding a description, dependencies, and the binary and or source code for something to work. They are not processor dependent.

I will forgive your not knowing every little detail of every piece of software invented.

Opera is closed-source, and although they have a lot of odd binaries (The Wii browser is allegedly Opera-based), if they don't have an ARM / X11 Linux one, the Pandora won't be able to run it, and we can't compile it ourselves.

However, the Pandora will be able to run Apache HTTP Server, and similar web websers, which are actually webservers. What you can do with webservers is extremely varied, anything from having a website on your Pandora to letting people stream any of your songs from your music folder to allowing you to access files on your computer from anywhere with Internet access.

If you're an elite command line user, you can also do all of those with SSH and SSHFS, which are a bit simpler but don't have a nice web GUI.

Well, I got ninja'ed because the GP32X boards are laggy as shit sometimes.. But no, Opera is closed-source, and there are a great deal of binary-only Debian packages that ARE processor-dependent.
Like I said, it's useless anyway because there's other, probably better web servers you can run on your own. It's not as though Opera just burst in here and invented free HTTP servers.

No. There are applications available that can do all of those things you mentioned, but not all packaged in the same program.

Regarding Opera, here's an old quote from back in January. I have a feeling that it would also apply to Opera Unite.

craigix said:
Oh PS did look in to licencing opera about a year ago but it required 50,000 units. :(

lulzfish said:
(The Wii browser is allegedly Opera-based)
Just want to clarify this: It is. ;) It's got a number of Opera logos all over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
and there are a great deal of binary-only Debian packages that ARE processor-dependent.
Only in terms of the binary contained in the Debian package. There are ARM packages, x86 and x64 packages, there may even be PPC but I have not witnessed any myself. They are not Processor dependent themselves.

I think I read somewhere Opera is doing a browser for a n900 or whatever.(the maemo thing(?))

Kloplop321 said:
lulzfish said:
and there are a great deal of binary-only Debian packages that ARE processor-dependent.
Only in terms of the binary contained in the Debian package. There are ARM packages, x86 and x64 packages, there may even be PPC but I have not witnessed any myself. They are not Processor dependent themselves.
Er.. Maybe I meant architecture-dependent, then?

Prometheus said:
Regarding Opera, here's an old quote from back in January. I have a feeling that it would also apply to Opera Unite.

craigix said:
Oh PS did look in to licencing opera about a year ago but it required 50,000 units. :(

Oddly enough I had a long converstaion about opera for the pandora at the recent symbian show at Earl's Court with the European marketing and dev people and I was told it was nothing to do with numbers of units.

They said they would be prepared to forgo or reduce licencing costs if they could have other opera based products on the machine.
(I imagine they meant ads and stuff and their widgets I imagine) - I can't see that happening though!!

just for your info really....

Rick

Getting the full Opera with Flash from another linux device may be a way to get flash on the Pandora, but as far as I know the N900's browser has Flash and is based on Fennec.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

To be honest, I knew that Opera Unite didn't do anything technically new, it's just that they make it so simple and easy to use. But I guess I'll just have to get my Geek on for this one and roll my own. It'll be tricky though, I need to ensure that no matter where the Pandora is, if it's on, connected to the internet, and the program is running, it needs to connect to an online service that will automatically ensure that all traffic sent to a specific predefined URL (with Opera Unite, this was something like username.home.operaunite.com) is rerouted directly to the Pandora itself. Any help on this on?

Sofox said:
I need to ensure that no matter where the Pandora is, if it's on, connected to the internet, and the program is running, it needs to connect to an online service that will automatically ensure that all traffic sent to a specific predefined URL (with Opera Unite, this was something like username.home.operaunite.com) is rerouted directly to the Pandora itself. Any help on this on?
DynDNS. They provide a Perl script (almost certain Perl will be available on Pandora) that communicates with their server to keep a URL pointed to a dynamic IP. Thing is, this will only work if the Pandora is either directly connected to the internet or connected through a router that knows to send web traffic to it. I imagine there's no other way to do it, even for Opera Unite.

Strictly speaking, if someone is bored enough, we could recompile it using llvm. The likelyhood of this working though, is slim to none

Tempel said:
Sofox said:
I need to ensure that no matter where the Pandora is, if it's on, connected to the internet, and the program is running, it needs to connect to an online service that will automatically ensure that all traffic sent to a specific predefined URL (with Opera Unite, this was something like username.home.operaunite.com) is rerouted directly to the Pandora itself. Any help on this on?
DynDNS. They provide a Perl script (almost certain Perl will be available on Pandora) that communicates with their server to keep a URL pointed to a dynamic IP. Thing is, this will only work if the Pandora is either directly connected to the internet or connected through a router that knows to send web traffic to it. I imagine there's no other way to do it, even for Opera Unite.
Are you sure? When I was trying Unite out on my home PC, it was able to go through two separate wired unconfigured routers to get to the internet and I and several other people were still able to connect to it by going to that url and listen to music off of it without any trouble.

They also made a nintendo ds opera.
So if we just get a ds emulator working and ik.fikohltadjoyshat.aemytsil...
Not such a good idea.
Even if i don't get unite, getting that n900 version would be cool :)

Sofox said:
Tempel said:
Sofox said:
Are you sure? When I was trying Unite out on my home PC, it was able to go through two separate wired unconfigured routers to get to the internet and I and several other people were still able to connect to it by going to that url and listen to music off of it without any trouble.
No, I'm not sure. Were those several other people all on the same subnet as you, i.e. connected to the same router? If so, that would imply that the username.home.operaunite.com address points to the local address (something like 192.168.x.x). That's believable, but it would mean no one on the rest of the internet would be able to connect to you, but I'm sure that's not an issue in this usage case. I don't know if DynDNS can handle such a thing; it's technically possible, but I don't think they're set up to do it.

Tempel said:
Sofox said:
Tempel said:
Sofox said:
No, I'm not sure. Were those several other people all on the same subnet as you, i.e. connected to the same router? If so, that would imply that the username.home.operaunite.com address points to the local address (something like 192.168.x.x). That's believable, but it would mean no one on the rest of the internet would be able to connect to you, but I'm sure that's not an issue in this usage case. I don't know if DynDNS can handle such a thing; it's technically possible, but I don't think they're set up to do it.

No, I was several miles away at work. And everyone else was in another country.

Are you saying that no other service then Opera Unite can do this?

Sofox said:
No, I was several miles away at work. And everyone else was in another country.

Are you saying that no other service then Opera Unite can do this?
Nope, I'm saying that Opera Unite is clearly black magic that I can't understand. And without figuring out how it does its voodoo, I don't know if it can be replicated!

Well, after actually reading Wikipedia, it looks like maybe the web servers are really hosted by Opera on their own hardware; Unite simply pushes info from your computer to their servers, which are then accessible from the web. This means that, to replicate it, someone would need to create a dedicated server and an API to push content to it. A neat idea for sure, but I wouldn't count on it appearing overnight, particularly considering the costs of serving content for every user (feasible for a company like Opera, less so for an open community).

Sorry to dash hopes. On the upside, though, I might be completely wrong. Here's hoping.

Edit - Further research: "A proxy server is used when no direct connection is established". So I guess what I said before holds true: it's the same as DynDNS plus any webserver EXCEPT for when you're behind unconfigured routers or the like. In those cases, it's the proxy server that does the magic, but again, the data costs would likely be too significant to have a free community-supported equivalent.

Back