Could Someone Answer These Questions For Me?

Barnaby

Website
Visit site
Yes, I know these sort of topics have been done a lot, but I need answers to some questions before I buy a GP2X.

1. How well does SNES emulation run? In some places I've heard it runs awful while at other places I've heard it brilliant. Can Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger run perfectly, and at what clockspeed?

2. Is the TV out any good? I won't be buying a cable for it straight away, but I'd like to know how well it runs, as I might buy it sooner/later/not at all depending on what you say. And when you watch movies on the TV, if the movie you're watching is smaller than the TV's screen does the TV out enlarge it so it fits the TV? I hope not, as this would make some video's too blurry and pixellated to watch on the TV.

3. With games such as Sonic CD (on Picodrive) and Duke3D, do I need the orginal games to run them, or is there some place I can download them from? I used to have Duke3D but I lost it a few years ago, and I have Sonic CD on the PC and on Sonic Gems Collection, and I don't want to buy it again unless I really have to.

4. How big is the actual GP2X? Would it easily fit in your pocket? I haven't got an MP3 player, so I'd be using the GP2X as one.

5. How good are the batteries that come bundled with the GP2X @ http://www.gp2x.co.uk/ordergp2x.html, and what can I use to charge them? Can I use my charger for my Energizer batteries? And does anyone know where I can buy some powerful rechargables with a recharger?

6. How do I rip PS1 iso's for use with psx4gp2x? I want to see how well it runs Megaman X4 and X6, as well as Alundra. EDIT: I found out how to on GPnewbie. I love that site :) .

7. How good are the speakers on the GP2X, and has the joystick improved with the MK2 version, as I've heard lots of negative stuff about the joystick.

8. How easy is the SDK to use? I haven't had any experience with programming before, although I am interested and I do want to learn.

9. I'm going to downgrade to version 2.1.1. once I get my GP2X so will a 4GB SD card still work with the older firmware?

And finally,
10. How good is MSX emulation? I was dissapointed on my GP32 when Metal Gear 2 didn't run at full speed, whereas MG1 did.

Thanks for your answers.

Barnaby said:
Yes, I know these sort of topics have been done a lot, but I need answers to some questions before I buy a GP2X.

1. How well does SNES emulation run? In some places I've heard it runs awful while at other places I've heard it brilliant. Can Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger run perfectly, and at what clockspeed?

Chrono trigger works, not perfectly but at least well enough to be played, with PocketSNES at 200MHz.

4. How big is the actual GP2X? Would it easily fit in your pocket? I haven't got an MP3 player, so I'd be using the GP2X as one.

That depends on how big pockets you have ;) It's about the length of a CD jewel case, 2/3 of the width and 2-3 cases thick. ;)

5. How good are the batteries that come bundled with the GP2X @ http://www.gp2x.co.uk/ordergp2x.html, and what can I use to charge them? Can I use my charger for my Energizer batteries? And does anyone know where I can buy some powerful rechargables with a recharger?

They work very well, they can last for many hours depending on a bunch of factors (CPU clock speed being the major factor)

7. How good are the speakers on the GP2X, and has the joystick improved with the MK2 version, as I've heard lots of negative stuff about the joystick.

I never liked the joystick at all, I'd much rather have a joypad, but it still works fine. The speakers are (in my opinion) good for such a small device.

9. I'm going to downgrade to version 2.1.1. once I get my GP2X so will a 4GB SD card still work with the older firmware?

I think the compatibility is the same with 2.1.1 and 3.x, and there's no really good reason to downgrade unless you're really bothered with boot speed or have some game that clearly doesn't work with 3.x but works with 2.1.1 (I don't know of any).

I hope I've answered at least some of your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks for your answers the help's greatly appreciated, but what do you use to recharge the batteries that come with the GP2X? And I guess I'll just stick with version 3.x until I have a reason to downgrade (or upgrade if a new version comes out ;)). Can anybody else answer the rest of my questions?

Barnaby said:
OK, thanks for your answers the help's greatly appreciated, but what do you use to recharge the batteries that come with the GP2X? And I guess I'll just stick with version 3.x until I have a reason to downgrade (or upgrade if a new version comes out ;)). Can anybody else answer the rest of my questions?
Any battery charger should work, mine is a ~10 years old charger with nothing special..

Samba Pa Ti said:
do rechargables come with the 2x now ?
Value Pack comes with 4x 2500mAh rechargeables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmWGGrV9-Yk

Hey, nice video, that's quite helpful, as I can actually see what comes in the box. But Ireally need the rest of my questions answered, so if anyone can help me, please do. I've crossed out the ones that have been answered.

Barnaby said:
2. Is the TV out any good? I won't be buying a cable for it straight away, but I'd like to know how well it runs, as I might buy it sooner/later/not at all depending on what you say. And when you watch movies on the TV, if the movie you're watching is smaller than the TV's screen does the TV out enlarge it so it fits the TV? I hope not, as this would make some video's too blurry and pixellated to watch on the TV.
The TV- out is very good indeed, but there are programs that won´t wonk with it.
If you play back a movie on the tv, it will be scaled to the size of the screen, but that´s no problem since you can use videos with high resolutions of up to 740x480. Those won´t look blurry. Plus you can use mp2x to zoom in or out.

Fishbong said:
The TV- out is very good indeed, but there are programs that won´t wonk with it.
If you play back a movie on the tv, it will be scaled to the size of the screen, but that´s no problem since you can use videos with high resolutions of up to 740x480. Those won´t look blurry. Plus you can use mp2x to zoom in or out.
So if I have a video that's smaller than 740x480 I can shrink it to it's normal size? Perfect :). I would buy a TV out with my GP2X, but I won't have enough money for the adapters to make them male connections and to extend it :p.

TV out isn't too bad for games, but not as good as it could be (I'm slowly working on improving it for open2x if I can). And the resolution is 720x480 or 720x576, not 740.

Back