cps-1 on gp32

angrypants

GP OG
This could be it kids, the best thing ever for the gp32. I have my doubts though as to if it will run at a decent speed. I have my fingers crossed and I hope that this project is real and if it is I hope it is fast. It would0 be amazing to play final fight, street fighter 2, ghost ahd ghouls, cadalacs and dinosor's, Knights of the round and on and on.

It'll be fantastic, but if they get it running at anywhere near full speed with any kind of sound then they deserve a knighthood. This is a much harder nut to crack than the SNES and Megadrive emulators, and we're still waiting for them.

Not wanting to seem negative, of course...just realistic.

I'm in two minds about this... But I see help every friday, so you needn't worry about me! (The pills are helping too!) :huh:

I've just looked at the games available, and it looks good. If, as we all hope, this runs full (i.e. Pretty damn near!) speed and with sound, then we could all be happy bunnies...

The first person who calls me Mr Flopsy get's a poke in the eye! <_<

Well... There will be some limitations due to ROM sizes. Depending on executable size, and needed work space etc., I'd guess the maximum ROM size would be between 5 and 7 MB, but more likely to the lower side. Here's a list of all CPS1 titles (sans a few Japanese only quiz games) and their approx. ROM sizes in Megabytes. Keep in mind zipped size is meaningless - it's the size of the unzipped ROM images that matter.

1941 - 3.3
Cadillacs & Dino's - 7.6
Capt. Commando - 5.5
Carrier Airwing - 3.3
Dynasty Wars - 5.3
Final Fight - 3.3
Forgotten Worlds - 5.3
Ghouls'nGhosts - 4
King of Dragons - 5.3
Knights of Round - 5.3
Magic Sword - 3.3
MegaMan P.B. - 9.8
Mega Twins - 3.3
Mercs - 4.3
Nemo - 3.3
Pang 3 - 5.3
Pnickies - 2.6
Punisher - 7.6
Quiz & Dragons - 2
Slammasters - 12
Street Fighter II - 7.3
Street Fighter II CE - 7.6
Strider - 5.3
Three Wonders - 5.3
Varth - 3.3
Warriors of Fate - 7.1
Willow - 4.3

Lotsa good games should be able to fit, but some won't. How fast the emu can go, and whether that will include sound etc., we don't know yet. We'll find out, hopefully. ;)

It would be fantastic if it can be done. I doubt it can but hope someone proves me wrong. I think its just wishfull thinking to be honest

There is no reason why it can't be done, callus runs on a P90 with 8meg ram and i doubt CPS1 makes much use of divides, and i don't remember it having any fancy graphical hardware at all.

The GP32 has hardly been touched for emulation because almost all of them are written in C. A rewrite of a 68000 emu in ASM would do the scene wonders, maybe an open source rewrite.

Considering the gp32 is supposed to be open source almost no emulators supply the source code at all, meaning so many of them are abandoned, such a shame.

Look at the GBA emu progress on open source ones like nes/pcengine.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

cps-1 is an arcade emulater, it stands for capcaom system one which is a type of hardware capcome used for a bunch of arcade games back in the day. Look at the post a little bit above theis one for a list of a few of the games that it runs.

Does it use the same ROM images as MAME?

And talking of MAME, that's the emulator that the GP32 really needs ported. I know there are hundreds of games that will be unplayably slow, but there are many many more that should be quite within the abilities of the GP32.

Back