Cpu For Pandora 2 ?

chris_c

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a15.php

a 2.5ghz quad core!!!! :-o someone get TI onto this!

chris_c said:
someone get TI onto this!
They are one of the first who already jumped on the train. Don't you read any news articles about stuff like that? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Craigix's post on the official boards.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/208-cortex-a15-5x-faster/page__pid__3767#entry3767

And before you get your hopes up. You should know, that it takes minimum a year an a half before there are usable socs, and an other year before devices with such socs get announced, let alone shipping.

Take a look at the Cortex A9. It's been announced almost two years ago, and how many released devices out there use it? None? Or near none.

Besides, I recommend that you read more about that. Such speeds will only be available to the miniserver market, and after a year or so after the launch of the cpu. For the mobile market it will stay 1,5 ghz for a while (though still a huge jump considering the massive amount of architectural improvements between the A8, or even the A9).

No wonder, considering as much efficient they may be, they will need a fair amount of juice to power such monster (compared with the other arm cpus, that is), and they'll have to tweak it before it reaches such speeds for the mobile market.

I expect a full 2/3 years before we see some usable socs.

They can't just switch in the new chip when it comes out? How about an aftermarket mod?

typs lik dis said:
They can't just switch in the new chip when it comes out? How about an aftermarket mod?
I'm not sure the chip pin-outs will be compatible. Besides, soldering those chips is HARD.

I once replaced the CPU of a desktop computer. How much harder would doing so on the Pandora be?

It said quad core 2.5ghz for servers, but 1.5ghz for handheld devices, still pretty good though and I wouldn't mind 1.5ghz on the Pandora 2 but maybe a bit more and we could have PS2 emulation.

mind you I would *not* like 1.5ghz+ if that meant 1.5hr battery life!!

typs lik dis said:
I once replaced the CPU of a desktop computer. How much harder would doing so on the Pandora be?
Near impossible I'd think.

Jdbye said:
It said quad core 2.5ghz for servers, but 1.5ghz for handheld devices, still pretty good though and I wouldn't mind 1.5ghz on the Pandora 2 but maybe a bit more and we could have PS2 emulation.
No, PS2 Emulation is still shit on PCs with better processors and graphics cards, so this would likely do worse.

Ball Grid Array soldering is near impossible for humans. The good part is you can always start over if you screw up..You just need to re-apply tin paste on every or some contacts.

^ Considering that is ARM almost only selling point, I doubt they'll make such sacrifice on any of their processors anytime soon.

Even the server processors they are touting will probably consume less than the lightest of atoms while outperforming it several times.

also, take into consideration the trend that is following this in the area of modularity and modification capabilities... it is quite possible, by the time A15 comes out (or maybe sometime shortly after) that ARM processors will be as easy to chagne out as x64 processors. They may come up with a way to lock it in place and be contact-based similar to the Xeon (I think) or i3/5/7 processors. Has been a while since I read up on that last, so I don't know exactly how it works and I refuse to buy Intel processors (plus I personally own a laptop and nettop, so I am not really dealing with standard desktop processors at the moment) but that development is not necessarily impossible... I would post it as somewhat or fairly (but not highly) improbable... the last 10 years has shown many quantum leaps in computing technology, so you never know what's next until it gets here... Standard progression USUALLY (but not always) follows the quantum leaps, so you can get an idea of where it will go for a short while, but then comes that next leap and you're stuck sitting there thinking "COOL" and "WTF" at the same time. :p

Crunchwrap said:
typs lik dis said:

Jdbye said:
No, PS2 Emulation is still shit on PCs with better processors and graphics cards, so this would likely do worse.
I could run PS2 games fine on my old PC with Core 2 Duo and a XFX 8600GT, not a very good gfx card, i mean sure ARM won't get close to core 2 duo in speed yet, but I'm not sure how much less is actually required since my last PC before that one was 1Ghz and definitely couldn't run PS2 games :p

For PS2 emulation it's not a power issue... it's a multiplier issue... this was touched on in another topic not long ago, but being able to clock to a proper speed for PS2 games to run smoothly is not a simple feat, and that is the primary design flaw (or security feature) of the PS2... I'm sure someone will chime in here with a link to the thread in question... I just can't remember the topic of it at the moment...

Crunchwrap said:
typs lik dis said:

Thanks, but I didn't ask "how hard" it would be; I asked "how much harder?". Can you give me some sort of analogy for the difference in difficulty between the two types of replacement?

replacing a bike tire vs replacing a boeing 747 tire.... I'd guess that's a pretty good analogy...

same general purpose, but entirely separate beasts, indeed...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
For PS2 emulation it's not a power issue... it's a multiplier issue... this was touched on in another topic not long ago, but being able to clock to a proper speed for PS2 games to run smoothly is not a simple feat, and that is the primary design flaw (or security feature) of the PS2... I'm sure someone will chime in here with a link to the thread in question... I just can't remember the topic of it at the moment...

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying :(

Back