CPU Settings

H

hakmanplayer

If this topic has been typed to the death, then please excuse my repetitiveness :mellow:

Specifically for pcsx rearmed and Mupen 64, i wanted to know what CPU settings are being used consistently by Pandora owners??

Is one setting used for both or are users constantly tweaking based on a specific game?

Please let me know and thank you in advance if you do ;)

Last edited:
The amount needed varies from game to game. What settings people commonly use, and the frequency that they change them depends only on their laziness. An example of the variation in M64 is that Super Mario 64 runs near flawlessly at 500MHz, while for Zelda you will want 900 or more.

For what setting people use on a specific game, look it up in the compatability lists.

I'm lazy, so I have one setting for each emu.
But then there's a tradeoff. For example, going by the Mupen 64 plus compatability list, most games work as well as they're goin to at around 800, but to play some of the real gems of the system you currently need 950+. You could just leave your OC for MP64 at, say, 1000 but then you are OC/OV'ing way more than necessary for every other ROM you play with it.

I'm lazy, so I have one setting for each emu.
But then there's a tradeoff. For example, going by the Mupen 64 plus compatability list, most games work as well as they're goin to at around 800, but to play some of the real gems of the system you currently need 950+. You could just leave your OC for MP64 at, say, 1000 but then you are OC/OV'ing way more than necessary for every other ROM you play with it.
Is there a psx list for cpu settings? I mean specifically in the same format as the Mupen 64 one you provided??

Can't seem to find one. :mellow:

Last edited:
Personally, for PCSX ReARMed, I use 750MHz. However, my understanding is that how high you can go with this emulator is dependent upon the maximum your Pandora can be clocked to, as it uses something called NEON to speed it up, and NEON is not fond of high overclocking. (Just as an example: The maximum my Pandora can hit at the stock voltage is 850MHz, so for PCSX ReARMed, I have to keep it at less than that.)

In pcsxrearmed lots of games work fine at between 500-600mhz, so it's overkill to use a high cpu speed for all games ('global' config) - best just to try a game, and gradually increase the speed until it works the way you like it, then save the configuration for that game (the option next to 'save global config') - when you next run it, it'll automatically use the saved setting.

The amount needed varies from game to game. What settings people commonly use, and the frequency that they change them depends only on their laziness. An example of the variation in M64 is that Super Mario 64 runs near flawlessly at 500MHz, while for Zelda you will want 900 or more.

For what setting people use on a specific game, look it up in the compatability lists.

I've enver found Mario 64 to run that great unless I clock it up to at least 750mhz, maybe it's just coz I don't want any frameskip and I have it rendering at 640x480 ?

I've enver found Mario 64 to run that great unless I clock it up to at least 750mhz, maybe it's just coz I don't want any frameskip and I have it rendering at 640x480 ?
My apologies, the compatability list I linked to a few posts above confirms that it's only supposed to work well at 800. My mistake, but the general point I was making still stands.

I've never found Mario 64 to run that great unless I clock it up to at least 750mhz, maybe it's just coz I don't want any frameskip and I have it rendering at 640x480 ?
My apologies, the compatability list I linked to a few posts above confirms that it's only supposed to work well at 800. My mistake, but the general point I was making still stands.

That's fair enough,it's just something I wanted to ask about, that's all. I don't remember having to overclock it as much in earlier versions, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the emulator, the current hotfix or my increasing old age causing my confusion on the matter! ;)

The compatibility list is, as with many things, inaccurate, whoever made the list has tested the games at the default settings which render at 800*640 and are not optimum.

The emulator would be better off defaulting at the original N64 settings for the speed advantage.

when running most games i set my pandora to 900 OPP3 (i don't tweak the speed per game) psx probably doesn't need all 900 but N64 needs it on a lot of less supported games.

Back