cpu speed problem

joseLuís

Still Fresh
Yesterday I was reading a comic ad browsing in the pandora, rebooted and then attempted to increase the cpu speed to 750MHz. It freezed. Strange. I rebooted and tried to increase cpu speed to 650. It freezed. Very Strange. I didn't check the limits of my unit but I know have had it at 810MHz and stable while trying psx emulator.

So since I upgraded some packages and played with configuration files I thought the reason was that I misconfigured something so I reflashed the unit to be sure. But the problem is still there.

)

I'm testing it now. At speeds around 550MHz it sometimes goes on for several seconds until freezing. One time I increased it to 550MHz and the pandora freezed immediately. Another time it supported that speed, but at 553MHz it always freezes.

Anybody has an idea about why is this happening or any tests I can do?

UPDATE: Freezed at 545MHz when I was finishing a hard level in OpenTyrian. :p FFU

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about this problem before and IIRC it's because the OPP (voltage level) was accidentally set to something lower than standard and the power regulator chip is retaining it. You should try manually setting it back to OPP3 or maybe do a full power down by removing the battery.

Oooooh thankyou Exophase! I can't believe I can fix this without sending it back. You made my day :)

I'll take a look to opp settings...

There's a bug report for this. Next hotfix (or maybe the one after) it will check and fix the OPP level at boot time. Right now it's just assuming that it starts at OPP3.

There's a bug report for this. Next hotfix (or maybe the one after) it will check and fix the OPP level at boot time. Right now it's just assuming that it starts at OPP3.

Strange that the software can't automatically/dynamically set the cpu voltage from OPP1 to OPP3 (I think anything about 3 voids the warranty, right?).

Aside from that, being able to run stable at ~500MHz at OPP1 is pretty sweet. I've never looked up what voltage that amounts to, but I'm guessing it's ridiculously low. I wonder how long the battery would last at that level.

Strange that the software can't automatically/dynamically set the cpu voltage from OPP1 to OPP3
It can, if it's aware that it's started up in OPP1 :p

That's what the bug report is about: checking and setting the OPP level instead of just assuming it's at 3 to begin with.

Brilliant, this explains a problem I've been having with my development Pandora for the last week, thanks for sorting this out guys! Love ya!

Back