Cradle Sucks

g8rpal

Still Fresh
1. Can't turn the gp2x on and off easily (power switch is mostly covered by cradle)
2. Have to constantly go into system to get the usb light to come on above the connected port.
3. Have to go into system menu to turn on tv-out
4. Even though my gamepad is detected by gpfce and picodrive, I can only get the buttons to do anything, the directional pad doesn't work. (Gamemon mini gamepad)
5. Need a special power cord if you need to power it.
6. Mame freezes after the initial start-up graphic when usb joystick connected.
7. GNGeo freezes when I try to start a game when usb joystick connected.
8. None of the SNES emulators supports gamepads
9. No video or audio cables included.

In short- don't waste your money. If you want a console experience with multiple game-pads, best thing to do is get a low-cost PC w/ TV-Out.

Gamepark are you listening? Do you give a flying fork?

1. Been mentioned before (Actually you can if you got at least 0,5 mm fingernails)
2. No you haven't? At least mine lights up automatically.
3. Naturally! Not everybody wants to use a TV.
4. Your gamepad sucks.
5. Yeah...
6. Not the cradles fault (see 4.)
7. Not the cradles fault (see 4.)
8. NOT THE CRADLE'S FAULT!
9. Yaah....

TelcoLou said:
SO what exactly do you need help with ?
I guess I need to know what gamepads/keyboards work with it. I know some have posted elsewhere so I will do some digging.

I've read other people also have to go into the system menu also to get the usb to work. So you don't? Maybe it also has to do with having a proper gamepad.

Anyone want to buy a brand new cradle for $25 you pay the shipping?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I need to know what gamepads/keyboards work with it. I know some have posted elsewhere so I will do some digging.

Logitech Precision Pro - costs ~$10 and works just fine for me. Not sure about keyboards, though .. never tried one (or used an app. that had support)

I've read other people also have to go into the system menu also to get the usb to work. So you don't? Maybe it also has to do with having a proper gamepad.

Who don't ... me? I believe the entire world-GP2X-user base has to go into the settings and activate USB host stuff ...

Nope ... the Crucible™ works perfectly :)

gatorpal said:
TelcoLou said:

You need to go to the system settings and enable the USB once.

Miika said:
gatorpal said:
TelcoLou said:

You need to go to the system settings and enable the USB once.

(He may be using Gmenu2X, in which case you do need to go into the system's settings menu, then back out .. it's a glitch with Gmenu ... but not a problem with the '2X itself or the cradle (which sucks ;) ) )

Miika said:
1. Been mentioned before (Actually you can if you got at least 0,5 mm fingernails)
2. No you haven't? At least mine lights up automatically.
3. Naturally! Not everybody wants to use a TV.
4. Your gamepad sucks.
5. Yeah...
6. Not the cradles fault (see 4.)
7. Not the cradles fault (see 4.)
8. NOT THE CRADLE'S FAULT!
9. Yaah....
Fingernail length given as a vector, somebody coding a lot of 3d lately?

Sphinxter said:
Or maybe his country uses the "," as a decimal separator?

I've had to worry about that one a lot just recently, and it's a pain.

D.

Dunny said:
Sphinxter said:
Or maybe his country uses the "," as a decimal separator?

I've had to worry about that one a lot just recently, and it's a pain.

D.

Such a sheltered life I've led, always relying largely on the internationalization libraries of strangers.

Pah the . is good enough for everyone.

Also One of my PSX pad converters works FINE on my Linux box, and Windo$ze box. It does NOT work fine on the GP2X.

Perhaps some better more MODERN kernel USB drivers are needed. Open2X anyone?

gatorpal said:
Well, I don't use gamepads on the GP2X myself, but if you buy me or probably Reesy/any other snes developer a BoB, SNES emu's will most likely get game pad support :p

Can't say fairer than that :)

Cradle is a cradle. The GP2X inside is a baby. You all are just bad parents :)

gatorpal said:
1. Can't turn the gp2x on and off easily (power switch is mostly covered by cradle)
2. Have to constantly go into system to get the usb light to come on above the connected port.
3. Have to go into system menu to turn on tv-out
4. Even though my gamepad is detected by gpfce and picodrive, I can only get the buttons to do anything, the directional pad doesn't work. (Gamemon mini gamepad)
5. Need a special power cord if you need to power it.
6. Mame freezes after the initial start-up graphic when usb joystick connected.
7. GNGeo freezes when I try to start a game when usb joystick connected.
9. No video or audio cables included.

In short- don't waste your money. If you want a console experience with multiple game-pads, best thing to do is get a low-cost PC w/ TV-Out.

Gamepark are you listening? Do you give a flying fork?
Well, to answer your questions backwards:

Gamepark isn't listening, or maybe they are and they don't understand English, being Korean. No Forks, chopsticks likely.

9. Buy Artaylor's Cable, see my sig
8. Have you programmed an Emulator??
7. Hmm, well emulators do that.
6. See #7
5. Buy Artaylor's Cable, see my sig (alternatively, GPH designers are retards, or GPH doesn't believe in flying forks.)
4. My Picodrive is fine, have you tried a different USB port? Have you mapped the buttons in Picodrive?
3. So?
2. Buy Artaylor's Cable, see my sig, then buy a USB 1.1 hub for $10, problem solved.
1. Buy Artaylor's Cable, see my sig, alternatively take a knife or file to that side of the cradle until you can reach the switch. (WTF-DTC: Who The F**k Designed The Cradle?)

I hope that helps you out a little. Basically if you want to be really pissed, there is something like $0.50 worth of parts missing to have a USB jack on top next to the SD, why doesn't GPH do this themselves?? Who knows, a possible answer is the ridiculous decision to use 2 AA cells instead of 3 or 4, this means there isn't really enough power to run peripherals; or maybe the greed in their shiny Asian eyes as they contemplate ripping us off for the cradle AND power supply (2 power cables required no less); and finally, maybe they are just stupid or ignorant. If you want to attempt the mod yourself it requires $10-20 worth of parts and tools and a pretty good modchip soldering skill, because we wouldn't get the bulk discount on 100/1,000+ quantities.

Then everyone could pick up a nice mini USB 1.1 hub for $10. (yes, it is USB 1.1, I accidently pissed off a Semi-noob who thinks it is USB 2.0, check my sig for the MMSP2 specs)

Then we get into the A/V cables. Basically Artaylor will put the cables on (of the length and type you desire), and include the PSU with the hub for what you pay him. He has been making GP32 addons since before the GP2X was even announced, and so far I have only heard good things from users of his products.

quasist said:
someone call Children Services on me then, ive dropped, scratched & damaged my GP2X to the point of a battery pin flying out. But still works, just needs some spit & shes a sparklin again.

Cervante said:
quasist said:
someone call Children Services on me then, ive dropped, scratched & damaged my GP2X to the point of a battery pin flying out. But still works, just needs some spit & shes a sparklin again.

... you spit on your GP2X ?!? ... now THAT"S being a bad parent :angry: :p

Then everyone could pick up a nice mini USB 1.1 hub for $10. (yes, it is USB 1.1, I accidently pissed off a Semi-noob who thinks it is USB 2.0, check my sig for the MMSP2 specs)

sorry if this is a daft question but would a USB 2.0 hub work with ARTtaylor cable?

I decided to move my computer into the living room and hook that up to the tv to play games at home. (Now I can play my nintendo 64 emulator and psx emulator!) The gp2x is a great portable but to use it as a home console is a bit of a stretch for me when I have a pretty decent PC.

So, for everyone that offered to buy my cradle, thank you, but I decided to donate it to Squidge. He definitely deserves it for all the great stuff he has done and maybe he will add usb joystick support to his SNES emulator for you guys.

I asked him to look into updating the gp2x version of frotz (text adventure emulator) w/ a selector and the ability to cycle through available nouns and verbs with the buttons on the gp2x. These were the first computer games I ever played and I think they are a lost art.

Back