GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

I would go for either a new case, or a remodeled retro look. But I think the idea of buying old units to open up isn't practicle!

I would too, but I suggested using a gameboy case as an option because it's a decent size(not that i know how big this thing will end up being), and they're really cheap... Also, I hadn't even considered how people with huge hands would play it... My hands aren't THAT big, and I have to intertwine my fingers on the back of the thing when I hold it... so yeah, sorry about that, bad idea. Also, I figured it would be much more difficult and expensive to design your own case than it really is.

Hang on a second... correct me if i'm wrong... but if this thing will be running some kind of OS constantly in the background(or have I just misunderstood ?), won't that drain a lot of the RAM and processor power that should be used for emulators and any other kinds of programs?

As far as the touch screen is concerned, I don't plan to use it, so I'd rather not have one, but I'm not gonna be a dick about it if that's what everybody else wants... it's not like having it and not using it will make a big deal anyway... but I'm assuming they're more expensive than regular screens, so perhaps you could offer 1 version with a touch screen and 1 without a touch screen? Just a suggestion

Also, if possible, I'd rather have it use regular batteries like AA's because they're easier to get a hold of. But again, it's not a big deal. All that really matters is that this thing does what you wanted it to do when you came up with the idea, and that whatever battery/ies it uses last a decent amount of time(try to shoot for at least 5 hours).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already an incredibly similar project called Ñ-Joy that started in GP32Spain like a year ago, but that doesn't mean that Mr. Mirko can start creating another console from scratch, encountering all the problems that the ÑJoy staff has already been dealing with ^_^

However, their project is a lot more complicated and more unlikely to be ever finished as they expected. Mr. Mirko's console sounds less ambitious and we know that he can make it.

evil spains, allways do thair own sutt fin thair own little hidden chambers and never tell any normal people :)

Fishbong: Built-in batteries can be a real pain in the ass to replace when they're too old... It can have built-in ones if they're easy to replace.

Vimacs: I meant for using as co-processor, to use instead of 3D-accelerator...

Why not be like some of the Sony et all music players - they came with a built in rechargable battery, but if it runs flat, you can fit a provided adaptor that allows you to use a couple of AA's as an alternative. It makes the unit more bulky, but it allows you to actually use it :)

I would go for either a new case, or a remodeled retro look. But I think the idea of buying old units to open up isn't practicle!

I would too, but I suggested using a gameboy case as an option because it's a decent size(not that i know how big this thing will end up being), and they're really cheap... Also, I hadn't even considered how people with huge hands would play it... My hands aren't THAT big, and I have to intertwine my fingers on the back of the thing when I hold it... so yeah, sorry about that, bad idea. Also, I figured it would be much more difficult and expensive to design your own case than it really is.

Hang on a second... correct me if i'm wrong... but if this thing will be running some kind of OS constantly in the background(or have I just misunderstood ?), won't that drain a lot of the RAM and processor power that should be used for emulators and any other kinds of programs?

As far as the touch screen is concerned, I don't plan to use it, so I'd rather not have one, but I'm not gonna be a dick about it if that's what everybody else wants... it's not like having it and not using it will make a big deal anyway... but I'm assuming they're more expensive than regular screens, so perhaps you could offer 1 version with a touch screen and 1 without a touch screen? Just a suggestion

Also, if possible, I'd rather have it use regular batteries like AA's because they're easier to get a hold of. But again, it's not a big deal. All that really matters is that this thing does what you wanted it to do when you came up with the idea, and that whatever battery/ies it uses last a decent amount of time(try to shoot for at least 5 hours).
QTopia isn't THAT advanced... It is made for cellphones and PDA, so it doesn't eat all the RAM...
But still, it's seriously cool...
Also, about the controller, it's got to have the GP32 stick... No analog...

Definitely no analog... but rather than a GP32 stick, I'd rather have a standard D-pad... the cross-shaped one like Nintendo has, except it has to be slightly different(cuz they'd probably sue otherwise).

A D-pad COULD be ok, but not the one on the GBA, in that case the GBASP is much better. But the GP one is absolutely best IMO.

What? You like the GBA SP one better? Eww... I hate that thing, it doesn't go in far enough... it doesn't feel right.

What? You like the GBA SP one better? Eww... I hate that thing, it doesn't go in far enough... it doesn't feel right.

NOOO another row about controllors from Magus!!!!

:D

But seriously, I think the tech heads should start their own thread about this project, and we non tech heads should carry on here. So we could talk about what we would like it to be like and do, and the tech heads can talk about what it COULD do!

I just feel we're clogging up the flow a bit.

omg! just had a brainwave! does anyone remember the master system model 1 control pads? they have a screw in them so that you can screw a joystick into it! really cool! maybe it would be good to have something this on the homebrew machine!

jappad.jpg

that plastic comes out and you can put the joystick in!

<UPDATED>

Does anyone remember the add on to the original nintendo controller? It was like a grey plastic clamp with a hinge on it that fit over the original controller and locked, and turned the cross/d-pad into a round d-pad/stick (sort of like the GP32). It was sweet.

You guys are pondering about the controls, and we don´t even have a rough outline for the electronics layout... :lol: thats what i call wrong priorities :lol:

Back