GP32 Creating A New Game-console. Homebrew Project

sounds good, how expensive would something like this be when you buy just one or arround 100...
its planned to build one prototype and afterthat, how many units in the first batch? (ok first we need someone that produce those ;) )

[/quote]
Also, the power of a device cant be measured in mHz, there are lots of other things that are important, such as CPU type and other components, like co processor and RAM...

Cheers :lol:
Talyz Prower
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Such as the Athlon 64 FX55 is 2.4GHz, but it will knock the socks off of a 2.4ghz Celeron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too complicated? How is this any more complicated than running the connections for two SD ports?
Once again, this was in my first post that you failed to completly read. It costs $58 dollars (US), and it holds 20GB; Two 1GB SD cards cost $160 dollars (US). That's two gigabytes for 160 dollars, or twenty gigabytes for 58 dollars, now exactly which one is more costly?
I read it. It's irrelevent though. It cranks up the cost of the unit itself. It makes it impossible to recover data if something goes wrong; I'd rtaher lose 1GB of data than 20GB. If the hard drive breaks, you have a unit that is fucked up and you can't get inside. You are also restricted to the amount of memory available. Once you reach that 20GB, you can't expand your memory any more.

I read it. It's irrelevent though. It cranks up the cost of the unit itself.

It cranks up the cost of the unit itself, but it doesn't crank up the cost of the unit for the person, it lowers it considerably, making them more likely to buy it.

It makes it impossible to recover data if something goes wrong;

If an SD card breaks, you're not getting any information from it either.

I'd rtaher lose 1GB of data than 20GB.

How does this even make sense? Anything that's on your portable should be on your computer as well, and if it isn't, at least you had 20GB of stuff for a while, vs only 2GB of stuff for a while.

If the hard drive breaks, you have a unit that is fucked up and you can't get inside.

Yeah you can, people take apart their GP32s all the time. Ipods have hard drives in them, and people take them apart just the same.

You are also restricted to the amount of memory available. Once you reach that 20GB, you can't expand your memory any more.

1. Yeah you can, you could buy a bigger hard drive. 2. Call me up when SD cards get past 10 GB.

I agree with the squidge on the idea of interchangable storage, would be pretty good to do that, to be able to interface with whatever new things come about with a firmware flash and new socket.

I agree with the squidge on the idea of interchangable storage, would be pretty good to do that, to be able to interface with whatever new things come about with a firmware flash and new socket.

I guess you could say that is somewhat of an advantage. But basically you're saying that you'll get some SD cards for this new thing coming out, and then you'll stop caring about it and just switch them over to something else.

There is still the cost involved as well. The hard drive is much faster, holds ten times as much information, and costs 64% less.

Oh, i think a Harddrive would be a good thing, but it has a downside:
-Power consumption:
Many MP3 players have harddisks nowadays and if you consider the powerful batteries of those devices, they don´t run that long. Plus they don´t have a 400MHz Processor and a big backlit screen...

Other than that, i´d appreciate the big storage, but hey: 2GB are enough.

I guess you could say that is somewhat of an advantage. But basically you're saying that you'll get some SD cards for this new thing coming out, and then you'll stop caring about it and just switch them over to something else.

There is still the cost involved as well. The hard drive is much faster, holds ten times as much information, and costs 64% less.

Power consumption of SD Card, is ~1mA ( nearly nothing )
Power consumption of mini HD, is about ~100mA ( 100times more )

Oh, i think a Harddrive would be a good thing, but it has a downside:
-Power consumption:
Many MP3 playes have Harddisks nowadays and if you consider the powerful batteries of those devices, they don´t run that long. Plus they don´t have a 400MHz Processor and a big backlit screen...

Other than that, i´d appreciate the big storage, but hey: 2GB are enough.

The only think that seems wrong to me with hard drives as well is the power consumption. This is not the same kind of hard drive in an Ipod, it is smaller, and has a lower RPM. But I'm not sure about how much one of its kind uses. If it is a lot, then that surely throws it out of the window, but if it isn't, it should be considered as a great contender.

Also, 2GB should be enough if this new system will not do PSX, but damn, SD costs so much more, a lot of people would have to stick with something smaller.

Power consumption of SD Card, is ~1mA ( nearly nothing )
Power consumption of mini HD, is about ~100mA ( 100times more )

Do you know what voltage each one runs at Mirko?

i would stick with SD too... those cards are getting cheaper and cheaper now, atleast here in germany... a 256MB card is arround 19€ and for a 1GB card its arroud 50-60€... i dont need more! a harddrive will just make the unit more expensive, atleast those really small ones and bigger ones need more power and make this thing huge.. also, i haveallready several SD cards for my digicam and the cube.

758 snes roms games and emulator snes9x. All the US games ever made. = 639mb. 1 gig sd stick is plenty big for me.

Back