Crystals Of Xaz News- 12/1/2006

Atari

Still Fresh
Crystals of Xaz is a Dreamcast and Gamepark game written using Fenix. More information about Fenix for Dreamcast can be found at http://atari.vg-network.com.

Work continues steadily on the game, and it's shaped up to be really fun! I'm currently rewriting the enemy generation code to support multiple enemies, added level (now called Quadrants) transitions, bonus enemies that fly across the screen and drop items when shot, the ability to warp ahead levels, "skil-step" code (allows you to select a starting level based on the last level you finished, a la Tempest arcade game), and have found an artist to whip up some real graphics for me. There have been so many changes in the past month that the original code I worked from (Istappen, http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/html/sources.html, scroll to the bottom) has been completely obliterated and none of the original code has been retained. I've attempted to contact Chui about adding VMU saving to the fenix codebase so I could implement high score saving for the DC version, but he's extremely busy and I haven't heard back from him. High score saving will be a definite for the GP version.

Here's a current screenshot using placeholder sprites:

coxwip12-1-06.png

Timeframe for release is "when it's finished", as I don't like to toss things out there just to say I put something out, and want to create a homebrew game using Fenix that will be playable, complete, and fun.

So to summarize - you've written some code, someone else is drawing some graphics, you don't have any screenshots, and you've got no idea when you might release anything. Could this be a candidate for the worst 'news' ever?

woogal posted on Dec 1 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
So to summarize - you've written some code, someone else is drawing some graphics, you don't have any screenshots, and you've got no idea when you might release anything. Could this be a candidate for the worst 'news' ever?
hey, come on now. All news is good news :)

@Atari: sounds like an interesting project. I remember your announcement here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=268957. Are the graphics going to be all changed now?

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Dec 1 2006 at 01:56 PM said:

Actually, I added a screenshot, then saw your post :)

As the post says, the game will be released when it's finished. No "beta" or "alpha" releases, no releases to justify my work or to elevate myself. I write games for me, that I want to play, and believe in completing projects before giving them out for others to try. If others are interested, so be it. If not, so be it. Either way, it doesn't affect my work or my day.

Have a good one!

Brian (Atari)

xythen posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:25 PM said:
woogal posted on Dec 1 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
hey, come on now. All news is good news :)

@Atari: sounds like an interesting project. I remember your announcement here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=268957. Are the graphics going to be all changed now?

The motion objects ("sprites" as most call them; I'm 36 and remember them as motion objects from my Atari arcade days :) ) are being done by a guy in the PSP homebrew scene that I know from EFnet #dcemu. I was originally going to do them all by myself using the freeware modelling program anim8or, using primitives, but I'd rather have actual ship-looking objects. The crystals are also changing to a more hexagonal shape. As far as backgrounds go, I'll be using NASA shots for the playfield and piecing the background together myself. I've already got five different mode7 playfields, but I've run into a slight slowdown problem while changing between them. I think the pics I'm using are too big. Ah, the fun of Fenix limitations :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

My advices:

1.Get rid of the much text in the play area, its really annoying (atleast in that beta you sent me).

2.The enemies in that beta where hardly to impossible to avoid... you should focus more on thebalance (if you havent already).

3.Dont post that many news on something that isnt released. Really. I hate it when people post news to just show that they are working on something, which might never been released, just to show something off... oost news when releasing something with it, if it just may be a self rolling demo or a video... or an alpha.

Atari posted on Dec 1 2006 at 07:44 PM said:
As the post says at the game will be released when it's finished. No "beta" or "alpha" releases, no releases to justify my work or to elevate myself. I write games for me, that I want to play, and believe in completing projects before giving them out for others to try. If others are interested, so be it. If not, so be it. Either way, it doesn't affect my work or my day.

So why are you posting this here then if it's not to "justify or elevate" and especially if you are writing it for yourself? None of what you wrote in this paragraph makes sense to me since you started this thread :)

Other than that best of luck on the project.

You guys are being way too harsh.. zodttd does the same thing and no one ever says anything like this to him. Be happy for the guy cos he's obviously excited about his project.

Having said all that, it's probably best to keep posts like this in the General section since people expect something more tangible in here.

Way to pour cold water on Atari's enthusiasm for the gp2x and devving for it. This thread says clearly that if you have not got anything to give us we don't care.

This forum is for a device you and I can dev for so lets talk about cats in fridges and the merits of the word 'niggardly' rather than our member's efforts to contribute.

I guess this is going to be a dreamcast only project now, but may I commend you on your desire to produce an original quality game rather than rushing to get it out.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Dec 3 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
Way to pour cold water on Atari's enthusiasm for the gp2x and devving for it. This thread says clearly that if you have not got anything to give us we don't care.

This forum is for a device you and I can dev for so lets talk about cats in fridges and the merits of the word 'niggardly' rather than our member's efforts to contribute.

I guess this is going to be a dreamcast only project now, but may I commend you on your desire to produce an original quality game rather than rushing to get it out.

Nah... no biggie. It'll still come out for the GP2x. I don't let others opinions of... well... anything... in life affect what I do. I'm too old for that crap. I just thought someone may be interested in another game for the gp2x, so I mentioned it. Some are, some aren't. Like I said, when it's done I'll toss it out. If anyone plays it (or not), at least I get the satisfaction of completing a game I wanted to play. Simple as that.

B

Quiest posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:13 AM said:
My advices:

1.Get rid of the much text in the play area, its really annoying (atleast in that beta you sent me).

2.The enemies in that beta where hardly to impossible to avoid... you should focus more on thebalance (if you havent already).

3.Dont post that many news on something that isnt released. Really. I hate it when people post news to just show that they are working on something, which might never been released, just to show something off... oost news when releasing something with it, if it just may be a self rolling demo or a video... or an alpha.

The beta you played is quite old. There have been many changes to the play area of the game, and I've got a couple more that'll remove a bit more text. As far as the balance goes... I basically put in some "placeholder" parameters while I worked on gameplay elements. I've tuned the level parameters since then, and, of course, there's going to be a lot more tuning before the game is finished.

As far as the news post goes, I'm not showing off. Like I said in the post above, I just thought people might be interested in another game in development. Personally, I hate it when people release unfinished alpha or beta versions of their games to the general public, just to "get something out there" and "show off" their work. I think it dilutes the whole experience, and I avoid them until they're finished. But such is the way of things these days.

B

What do you do in this game, i cant tell from the screenshots because they use they "placeholders". It looks like all you do is connect triangles and ugly gray things. What is it really?

It makes much more sense to release something, cause people will always find more bugs, or give hints about what is bad gameplay wise, or what doesnt make any sense at all.

As long as a beta is very playable, it is okay.

I saw you removed some text, but:
Make an energy bar, no one needs to read the energy in numbers on the screen, and move the other info to a place outside of the play area (make a status bar at the top or bottom of the screen?).
Another thing is, you could let the combo/chain points/counter just pop up on the enemies whenever you hit a combo, so it will be another removed text over the play-area.

I dont really know if all that made sense, if not, ask me if you wanna know :D Other than that, good luck further on.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Dec 3 2006 at 03:59 PM said:

Hear hear, my thoughts exactly. It's not like he posted three articles each day, like that fella who was coding some Gamemaker shump.

People posted preview news before, so why be so harsh on the guy for?

- Alex

Back