Curious Issue With Nubs

Lorkile

So I had an issue with my last Pandora that left me believing my nubs were dead and resulted in me sending in my Pandora. I'm now convinced that many of the dead analog nubs are the result of a software issue and will proceed to explain below. Here is a link to my last thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54910-left-nub-dead/

My replacement arrived yesterday, and being finals week I've had to rush back into things here a bit as it's essentially me putting off my studying a bit which should be prioritized. I tested everything out and found using the nubs really helped with menu navigation, as well as for web browsing (as often enough, such as in the mini-menu, I can't resort to stylus only as things won't launch). Today I did what last time I started off with, by connecting to my wireless network (probably unrelated, but seems curious to me on the timing of events and as mine is a hidden encrypted network it doesn't seem too odd), and after getting things set-up and a few restarts I found the nubs weren't working again.

I didn't get upset right off like last time, life has sucked too badly for too long for me to think another kick in the nuts is going to cause more then a second of pain, and after getting Alundra (PS1) to run and fairly well (at the default clock rate, after upping the CPU to 700MHz things are running smooth) I decided to go back and spend some time with the game. Lo and behold, the nubs work great inside the emulator, aside from being too sensitive everything is alright.

Back to the minimenu, and then the full menu I find the nubs aren't reacting at all. I tried it with the same game as last time and can't move the cursor let alone map the nubs as controls, so last time I think it was under-testing of the unit that lead me to unnecessarily return the unit. I mean, after reflashing the software last time and the nubs still seemed dead I can't imagine much more testing would have revealed this issue, and it is bothersome not to have access to my nubs outside the PS1 emulator.

But for now, I'm convinced it's a software issue and will probably have time to do more testing this weekend and hope to report back then. And supposing the nubs are again really dead, I guess it's still not so bad on the wait now that I know it's well worthwhile (sweet looking PS1 classics, ah yeah!).

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the nubs are stuck in joystick mode and refuse to switch back to mouse mode. Resetting the nubs doesn't help? I believe I read somewhere that you can change the nub mode via terminal too.

mali said:
I read somewhere that you can change the nub mode via terminal too.
Code:
sudo su -
echo "mouse">/proc/pandora/nub0/mode
echo "mbuttons">/proc/pandora/nub1/mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Hrmm, I probably should have waited to make this thread until I did get a chance to try the restore defaults as the nubs are working again. Doesn't convince me that my original Pandora's nubs were dead per se, but it certainly solves my current issue and without having anything further to report I think I'll have to just let this go.

Oh, but before I do, any chance someone else could see if they can reproduce this issue? It would be nice to see it not show up again and seems software based, so eventually someone should submit a bug.

Back