Current State Of Emulation

Optimistic

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have a Wiz and like it but I hate the buttons. The d-pad is ok, but the other buttons are too small, too close together, and quite uncomfortable. So, I'm thinking about selling it and picking up a Caanoo. I'm just interested in emulators and all of the ones I have on the Wiz work wonderfully and would like to know how they compare on the Caanoo. So, how do the following compare? Same, better or worse?

SNES
Genesis/Megadrive
NES
Gameboy Color
GBA
NeoGeoCD
FinalBurn Alpha
PC Engine

How is the analog stick for retro games?

SNES - Seems about equivalent to me.
Genesis/Megadrive - Equivalent.
NES - GPFCE has no tearing but I have noticed rare "stuttering" that I never noticed on the wiz.
Gameboy Color - Haven't messed with OhBoy. Lemonboy doesn't work through Ginge. Sad panda.
GBA - GPSP doesn't seem to perform as well on Caanoo.
NeoGeoCD - Haven't bothered with it.
FinalBurn Alpha - Never used it.
PC Engine - Temper for Wiz runs well via Ginge.

Edit: I was really surprised at how well the analogue stick worked out. I expected something clumsy like a Playstation pad's sticks, but the caanoo feels very natural and I only really miss a digital pad when doing double-taps.

Just a little addition to SML´s post
SNES - running fast and compatible mode should be the same, compared to wiz (don´t expect no wonders like FX-Chip Compatibility, just slightly slower than Wiz)
GBA - GPSP 0.91 works better than 0.92 (zx-81 my hero, why not implemting a frame-limiter on 0.92?)
NeoGeoCD - runs fine
FinalBurn Alpha - not working at all (that´s a real takedown)

Hello guys :)

You know I've just ordered a Caanoo recently from ebay... and I'm really worried about how little this console has been developed in terms of emulation. From what I've read in this and other forums seems like this thing is dead. So... please don't kill me for writing that please, buy I really loved the idea of an open platform handheld; but with no development work behind it... it's just like a rock... it just sits there.

Can I help in any way? Maybe coding something, optimizing, testing? ... I have some experience with C++

Let me know... I believe that it's better add up our efforts rather than each one of us writing independant projects.

Best.

E

the Caanoo is DEAD!??? :angry: :angry: what??
there are a lot of emulators, we have UEA4ALL,we have Frodo and Vice is coming, we have PCSX4ALL a very great emu for caanoo/wiz, we have Pocketsnes, the last version.... we have a lot of emulators, who run great;
naturally, if you want, you can learn an very easy language for dev something good, like Bennu, NLOVE... ;) ;)

What pisses me off is GPH`s Lack of support on firmwares ect.... how many times have I posted on there wall on FB asking for better dimming function
To save battery life as on the lowest its still very bright - also native joypad support aswell,

BTW - I wonder why no one as ported Final Burn Alpha, I must say I do like the console though...

ruffnutts ;)

idarwin said:

You know I've just ordered a Caanoo recently from ebay... and I'm really worried....

You've just got buyer's remorse, don't fret until you've got the thing in your hands and loaded with emulators.

I'm on my 3rd GP device (GP32blu+, GP2Xf100 and now Caanoo) and haven't regretted buying any of them.
In fact I spent some time last week 'cleaning up' my Caanoo (doing those emu uprages I'd missed, finally getting around to installing custom title bars etc) and I'm even more stoked on the thing than when I first got it.
It's a lovely little thing.

For me, the only unforgivable fault is the bezel, but one thing you learn with GP is they always, always make some little mistake with the hardware. Call it character!
However the Caanoo, to me anyway, is by far and away the cleanest, easiest to control and most user-friendly iteration yet.

But to get back to my point, you're just freaking out because you don't have it yet. You'll love it once you've got it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say you r right my friend. I got caught with buyers remorse as you say. Thank you for the confidence.

Anyway there is a question missing... I know no emulator is the real thing... If I wanted to be perfect I would just play it on the original console. But the thing is that it seemed to me that there where several performance issues with SNES, NES and other major emulators. Is this correct?

Best and thx again for the patience.

E

alyinsanfran said:
idarwin said:

You know I've just ordered a Caanoo recently from ebay... and I'm really worried....

You've just got buyer's remorse, don't fret until you've got the thing in your hands and loaded with emulators.

I'm on my 3rd GP device (GP32blu+, GP2Xf100 and now Caanoo) and haven't regretted buying any of them.
In fact I spent some time last week 'cleaning up' my Caanoo (doing those emu uprages I'd missed, finally getting around to installing custom title bars etc) and I'm even more stoked on the thing than when I first got it.
It's a lovely little thing.

For me, the only unforgivable fault is the bezel, but one thing you learn with GP is they always, always make some little mistake with the hardware. Call it character!
However the Caanoo, to me anyway, is by far and away the cleanest, easiest to control and most user-friendly iteration yet.

But to get back to my point, you're just freaking out because you don't have it yet. You'll love it once you've got it!

NES and Genesis have no performance issues at all and 95% of the roms for SNES run very fine as well, just to name these three major emulators.

Yes I agree, pretty much all emulators work at or close to 100%, except for SNES. This is common though - even on my PSP and my XBox SNES is not quite perfect.

The others we're eagerly waiting for are Amiga and C64. You'll find Ginge helps with some - it makes the Caanoo think it's a GP2X, so you can run some GP2X emulators through it - so Atari ST works fantastically as a substitute for the Amiga.

hehehehe... so funny... flame wars :p

I'm a C64 lover myself so I hope to see the working emu soon. I think I saw something on the testing forum saying it's almost functional.

Anyway, what do you know about Mame emulation for the Caanoo. I've read that the romset is old 0.35bsomething and that the emu works fine, is that right? Are there any known issues with mame? Why don't the update the emu to be able to read newer versions of the romset?

Too many questions.

Thx guys!

idarwin, for the c64, there is already a version of frodo.and rikku is working for port vice ;)

idarwin said:
Anyway, what do you know about Mame emulation for the Caanoo. I've read that the romset is old 0.35bsomething and that the emu works fine, is that right? Are there any known issues with mame? Why don't the update the emu to be able to read newer versions of the romset?

The MAME authors generally aim for higher accuracy over performance, so the newer versions are a bit too processor intensive for the Caanoo. If you have the right ROM set though (0.37b), most of the supported games work great :)

Mame seems to work O.K. Just some Minor Screen Sizing Problems that Scaled and Scaled Rotated doesn't seem to clear up on some games. The Only Emulator I have problems with is GPSP Gameboy Advance Emulator. The Clock speed is Pre-Set to 700 MHz which is too fast for most games and causes Issues. You can go to Options and kick it down to 550 MHz which seems fine, but the Emulator doesn't keep the settings. There is NO Option to keep current default settings like in other Emulators. PicoDrive is still in Beta with 32x Games so those run like Molasses uphill in February. Maybe version 1.90 will fix this. (or maybe its a Caanoo thing). The NeoGeo Emulator GnGeo seems to work the best but I need to modify the CFG settings for each and every game to start the Emulator up in US and Europe Mode with Sound. It Natively starts in Japanese Mode with sound, but the current Crop of CFG Files for each game turns OFF the sound. Working on that. I wish it had a Universal setting for All NeoGeo Games to start in USA or European Mode. (I hate the Title screen for "Bust A Move" but love the "Puzzle Bobble" Title Screen) Why American Game Companies feel the need to change each and Every title of each and every foreign game (and Character Names) to something that has No Relation to the Game is beyond Me. Damn Copyright Name Restrictions.

Back