Custom TV-out cable

Which length you prefer (circa)?

• Total voters

I have checked the Cpost shipping fee to Italy....but is only in Czech language... :huh:
Weird, I'm sure their have English pages here: http://ceskaposta.cz/en/. If it not work, then try "English" link in the right top corner of the site. Links to pricing is from this page: "http://ceskaposta.cz/en/obcane/" and if I look to "International - Letters" it could be actually about 2.3 USD for 100 grams weight. Thought - I'll prefer "registered" variant which could cover cost if mail was lost (it is about 4.3 USD up to 100 g).

I look for material suppliers and found good source of shielded wire (stereo audio and video) for equivalent of 1.5 USD:
n192.jpg
. I'm looking for gold plated metal RCA connectors with prise below 1 USD. I was found them, but not three of the same kind and different colour (Red - White - Yellow). Something like this:
d862.jpg
d878.jpg

At the weekend I'll try to do mould for casting EXT port housing. I'll like make it in "standard" look, rather then "potato" like :)

EDIT: Oh, 4 pin 3.5 mm jack female for cable could be an issue - still looking for suppliers :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
So that I can plug it into my TV, sit on my couch, and still play and type and all that jazz.

;) Exactly
You guys don't have the cables needed already? :p (Translation: I can see Grench's point - I'm pretty sure he's referring to having a short cable with female connectors on the end, and supplying the longer cables yourself. :p )
You get it - why burden the adapter with a cable pile?

5" cable - NOT 10' cable.

Think about it people - the device fits in your pocket. Why would you want a cable you can scale the side of a building with?
So that I can plug it into my TV, sit on my couch, and still play and type and all that jazz.

;) Exactly
+ 1 million

I want some or a lot of leverage just in case. You never know, you see.

Sit back as far as you want - just bring your own 25' cables to plug into the adapter.

I ask guys from hifi board and they advice buy not sou cheap, but rather more precise and durable connectors, even without gold plating. Gold plating itself doesn't give so big signal gain as good precision and material that doesn't melt while wires are solder. I'm going to order wire, shrink insulator and some connectors samples. I'll see more at next weekend (I hope).

I ask guys from hifi board and they advice buy not sou cheap, but rather more precise and durable connectors, even without gold plating. Gold plating itself doesn't give so big signal gain as good precision and material that doesn't melt while wires are solder. I'm going to order wire, shrink insulator and some connectors samples. I'll see more at next weekend (I hope).

youknow those guys are just audio nuts right? it's a structural decision really, a half decent metal socket, with metal casing, and decent cable clamps inside etc, is better than a cheap thing that's hard to get a good solder joint on with cheap rubber to wrap it :)

\
You guys don't have the cables needed already? :p (Translation: I can see Grench's point - I'm pretty sure he's referring to having a short cable with female connectors on the end, and supplying the longer cables yourself. :p )
Fairy Nuff, guess that's another way of doing it. :p

I definitely think S-video should be preferred because it is clearly a higher quality signal. Also you easily go from an S-video signal to Composite.

Here is such adapter: https://www.dealextreme.com/p/s-video-female-to-rca-female-video-adapter-26776

I guess you should be able to find something similar locally ?

From a survey perspective I guess you should have kept a progressive scale for the length (eg. 10cm / 50cm / 1m / 2m / 3m). The current one might introduce some bias toward the first answer. Not that it matter much... just something I tend noticed.

Also 2m seems like a good length as far as I am concerned.

I think it it kind of cool if we can organized TV-out cable in the community. One thing that should definitely be considered is what is happening with the official TV-out.

I don't know what the status is but I guess they still want to build them... or maybe not any more ? Seemed like they needed to produced quite a large run which would be costly for them. Again I don't know the situation at the moment and if they have started putting money into it.

Definitely would like to have to team input about this.

To me doesn't matter what OP does, once i have the WizardStan / peca connector in my hands.

I really do admire what peca is doing but I don't think any hand-made cables can really replace mass produced ones. As for now we are jut a bunch of people who peek the boards on a regular basis. Imagine what would happen if all the people who originally ordered a TV-out cable at OP + those who changed their mind or bought Pandora recently want peca to do a cable for them. I quess he'd have to spend all his free time for thne next months on soldering to fulfill those orders.

you know those guys are just audio nuts right? it's a structural decision really, a half decent metal socket, with metal casing, and decent cable clamps inside etc, is better than a cheap thing that's hard to get a good solder joint on with cheap rubber to wrap it :)
Yes, I know what some "bat-ears-hifi-nuts" can say about (in example) burned CDs :) - You know, if You burn them at higher speed than 2x You never get good copy :-D

But this is other kind of guys. I say "hifi board", but it is board about electronics overall. An they just warn me about the cheapest pieces that could be melted during soldering. It is true, I melted several connectors already so I know that this is good note.

I definitely think S-video should be preferred because it is clearly a higher quality signal. Also you easily go from an S-video signal to Composite.
Yes, but I think that for someone (ie I personally) that never saw S-Video IRL is RCA with composite video good choice.

From a survey perspective I guess you should have kept a progressive scale for the length (eg. 10cm / 50cm / 1m / 2m / 3m). The current one might introduce some bias toward the first answer. Not that it matter much... just something I tend noticed.
I decided to buy 100 meters of wire to get better price. So I can set length of cable on demand. I can try, but 10 m will be really overkill. The longest cable I saw in shop is 15 m. I use 10 m audio cable from TV to headphones and I think it is on the edge. But I'll cut it as long "As You wish my lord..." :)

I really do admire what peca is doing but I don't think any hand-made cables can really replace mass produced ones. As for now we are jut a bunch of people who peek the boards on a regular basis. Imagine what would happen if all the people who originally ordered a TV-out cable at OP + those who changed their mind or bought Pandora recently want peca to do a cable for them. I quess he'd have to spend all his free time for thne next months on soldering to fulfill those orders.
OK. I can build few tens of cables. I hope that most of them will be short adapter with females or 1 - 3 meters with males, just video out and RCA endings. So (after some training) easy job. The biggest work will be packaging and shipping (I hate visiting of post office). I think that I'm able build cables in good quality, even if I will not be able to make nice housing (let's see later). I think that I'm really not be able to build thousands of cables. So initially I'll try to cover demand in this very forum.

I'm wonder how much pre-orderers ordered TV-out. If it worth to build just 1 thousand of them. Maybe for OPT would be better to order only plastic housing for connectors and hire some workers to build them in Craig's...

I'd be very interested in a cable Peca but your price seems absurdly low for the amount of time and effort involved. These will be a seriously useful piece of kit in either long cables (3m Male S-video) or short (female S-video) for use with ones own choice of male cables. I'd be interested in both for a higher price to justify your time, if you haven't already taken on too many to cater for.

I'd be very interested in a cable Peca but your price seems absurdly low for the amount of time and effort involved... These will be a seriously useful piece of kit in either long cables (3m Male S-video) or short (female S-video) for use with ones own choice of male cables. I'd be interested in both for a higher price to justify your time, if you haven't already taken on too many to cater for.
Till now I was counting lowest prices and USD was pretty low. Now CZK go down CZK/USD rate changing. I didn't count about PayPal fees which I can't afford to pay myself. I'll rather avoid cheapest options, but I'll revised several RCA connectors to choice good quality and price ratio. Final price I'll know when I'll have all parts stocked at home.

- bare cable (3 shielded lines = 2x audio and 1x video = it is good for RCA solution only) is 23 CKZ (cca 1.3 USD) per meter (20 CZK (1.14 USD)) if I buy 100 meters in one). I must look for cable to build S-Video cables (I just realize and noting)!

- RCA connectors costs 15 to 50 CZK (cca 0.9 to 2.9 USD). I have to buy samples and sort out which are good and what will be final price. S-Video, males, females are all similar.

Then I must count other material after I gather it (solder, rosin, shrinking insulator, silicon rubber or clay for housing...). Some spare time and postage on the very end.

I see 10 USD will be barely costs. Audio in or other "special" option goes even higher and still without postage, PayPal fees... This is why I employed, not employer - I'm not good busyness man :)

I really do admire what peca is doing but I don't think any hand-made cables can really replace mass produced ones

This, due to quality issues, though i suppose if you've got a decent soldering setup and a couple of people you could pump out a decent amount, would just take an age...and more connectors than anyone's bought so far XD

Who vote for serial line: What is Your intended use of it? I mean:

- What connector(s) on ending serial line(s) You want?

- Do You like just UART lines?

- Do You want levelling of signal (TTL, RS232)? - I need point to some solution, schema and/or appropriate IC.

- Do You think that combination TV-out and serial lines is good option for use You are intended? I mean, if You like serial line for (ie) driving robot, Arduino or PIC programming, it may be better to have separate serial cable. Just think about it and post a note.

Similar for those that want bare lines: Do you like some connector on the GPIO wires ending or just keep them as they are?

------

For other than TV-out and audio in cables I'll have to set up some tests. AV out and in is simple, I'll connect it to TV/VCR and look what I can see and hear. For other output / input I'll need send something to it and test somehow that it work right. It could take more time than just solder and test few "standard" cables. :)

Back