D-pad, With Diagonals - Working!

You are absolutely right DaveC, and thanks for your positive feedback - there does not, at the moment, seem to be a need for a logic chip (sorry Radek - funny how the table turns...).

This reads as:

HA HA! In your FACE Radek!

Come on, can't you be at least a little civil about this? You clearly don't understand exactly what Radek has been doing, or why he is doing it. You could have teamed up to offer a non-invasive (i.e. no drilling or soldering) solution that offered a true 8-way solution fully compatable with the original gp2x design.

Instead you took every post expressing interest in Radek's chip design as a personal insult. I fail to see why to be honest. This is supposed to be a friendly community (more or less) and there's no place here for aggressive sales pitches.

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 26 2006 at 10:11 AM said:
You are absolutely right DaveC, and thanks for your positive feedback - there does not, at the moment, seem to be a need for a logic chip (sorry Radek - funny how the table turns...).

This reads as:

HA HA! In your FACE Radek!

you read this as "HA HA! In your FACE Radek!" -not everyone does.

competition helps drive innovation,

heck DaveC may get off his lazy butt (his words or somthing like that) and look into moding the joystick again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorrect, that is exactly how it reads.

The idiocy is compounded further byt the fact that it DOES NOT READ DIAGONALS! Look at the screenshots of the test app on page 1. It reads a combination of 2 directions, not a diagonal.

no_diag.jpg

A "logic chip" IS required to interpret those 2 combined directions as a diagonal before it gets to a software which has been coded to work with an 8 way stick. A lot of the software being written WILL require 8 seperate inputs from the joystick, NOT 4 inputs and some combinations.

Grab Whacky or Guyfawkes' test application. Either one of them will show if the software is receiving a diagonal or not.

To answer Davec's question: I would imagine that if the SDK did that conversion it would show up on the test app (shown above) as a diagonal. It doesn't so it looks like the stick is simply a 4 way and will be treated as such by the software.

to split hairs.

many systems being emulated expect to have 4 way control so if there is a diagonal via the gp2x joystick then it is probably being interpreted into a up+left ie a 4 way control by the emulation software.

i havent got the time to go looking through source code to confirm this though, this is how joystick/joypads used to be in the good ole days.

and i would imagine it would take all of an hour to add this control to some code.

This flaming is daft. This is an interesting subject, I want to read more about it actually, not pointless flaming!

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 26 2006 at 10:11 AM said:
This is supposed to be a friendly community.

Is this why you posted on the topic "Replying to Looking For Help: Sponsors"

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 26 2006 at 10:15 AM said:
In my experience beggers usually spend their money on drugs.

I'm not buying you $2.50 of crack.

Nice, and friendly. If you live in a greehouse, don't throw bricks.

Moz, I'd be inclined to agree with you on the emulation issue. Most systems expect a 4 way and this code could be changed if required. I'm guessign that most emulators may already have this in place.

My complaint is that a lot of the homwbrew written for the gp2x does not follow this setup. I'm of the opinion (and it's only my opinion) that the longevity of the gp2x will depend on howmebrew and commercial releases that are dedicated to the machine. Sure, emulation is good but is it really that far ahead of the gp32 in this respect? If not, then there is little reason to promote the GP2X over the gp32 if both systems emulate earlier consoles with reasonably similar capabilities. (This may not be the case, just an assumption I'm making)

Lubidog, the flaming, for my part anyway, was down to the thread title "with Diagonals - Working!". In short. It isn't. The reason for my "warm" reply was that to say "the tables are turned" and direct some attitude at Radek was uncalled for and also served no purpose as the tables have not been turned. The joystick simply does not have working diagonals.

I don't think that it is fair to expect dev's to alter the way they work to make their software compatible with 1 person's modification. This is made all the more irritating by the fact that there are other mods which have increased the useablility of the product without altering the requirements of the software. Both DaveC's cap and Radek's mod manage to fulfill this requirement. Check Dave's posts on the cap and you will see the amount of time, thought and effort that went into something as simple as that. Radek also showed that he has looked at the requirements and both have taken criticism and suggestions on board. This does not seem to be the case here.

If a shot can be posted with that diagonal lit up then I will be the first to admit that the mod "does what it says on the tin" sadly there has been no evidence of it.

It's an interesting idea, but sadly it seems it is fundamentally flawed.

chimpoid posted on Mar 26 2006 at 12:53 PM said:
Incorrect, that is exactly how it reads.

The idiocy is compounded further byt the fact that it DOES NOT READ DIAGONALS! Look at the screenshots of the test app on page 1. It reads a combination of 2 directions, not a diagonal.

no_diag.jpg

A "logic chip" IS required to interpret those 2 combined directions as a diagonal before it gets to a software which has been coded to work with an 8 way stick. A lot of the software being written WILL require 8 seperate inputs from the joystick, NOT 4 inputs and some combinations.

Grab Whacky or Guyfawkes' test application. Either one of them will show if the software is receiving a diagonal or not.

To answer Davec's question: I would imagine that if the SDK did that conversion it would show up on the test app (shown above) as a diagonal. It doesn't so it looks like the stick is simply a 4 way and will be treated as such by the software.

If people use the GP2x to play emulators, my D-pad works perfectly. I couldn't make Whacky work (before I did the mod) anyway when I upgraded to fw 1.4.

Anybody who read previous posts of mine would understand that the bottom line is if A works and B works, what is the problem? The result is the same.

There are far too many people who half-read posts and then believe they know everything on the subject.

Ok, it is obvious that the diagonals you pointed out are not set to work on my D-pad, which I expressed earlier - so what - you get diagonals working in all the emulators so all the games therefore work with diagonals. Bottom line - it works, it plays with the emulators nicely, 8 way.

the idea is nice, but what really annoys me about the whole thing is that you totally celecrate yourself as if you were some kind of a genius. This whole "the tables have turned blabla" attitude is not only uncalled for but plainly ignorant and arrogant. You behave like you were in competition with radek. While you have actually not even shown that your "product" works correctly, radek has put a lot of work into his mod and never ever claimed to be the winner of the game. Just don't take off and stay on the ground with your mod. If it's working, looking good, not damaging the gp2x too bad and compatible with the software that's out at the moment, you can be glad that you have achieved something nice and useable.
There is no need whatsoever to diss somebody elses work at all to make your efford look better...

Bacteria,
Whacky isn't working in 1.4? Odd. I checked that and built specifically for it. I'd be interested to know why it fails and I will look into it. How about you try GuyFawkes test application instead and see what it does.

With reference to the emulator thing. Reesy's DrDMX works. I don't know about other emulators. I would suggest you try and create a definitive list of which emulators work. I hope that they all do. The point I make (repeatedly) is that the topic title is inaccurate and besides emulators you will be hard pushed to make this joystick work with homebrew and commercial titles.

At present you have something which works with DrDmx, not bad by anyone's estimate. The problem is that is cripples functionality and requires dev's to reauthor their work.

Hey, I've got an idea!

Bacteria, why don't you make a deal with Radek to supply you with logic chips so you can incorporate them into your design and sell them with your packages so everybody wins? Huh? Huh?

This would make the ideal controller for me.

I am dismayed that a lot of people are 1) knocking something they haven't used and cannot therefore fully appreciate, and 2) thinks it fun to knock my character and credability and then feel justified in doing so when I defend my stand - I have had to put up with nasty comments and a hijack - why should I take it on the chin?

The bottom line is that hundreds of posts have been made complaining about the stock stick and how they need diagonals. I made something which works for the emulators (therefore over 95%+ of all software on the GP2x) with diagonals. People have been hostile in their posting from the start of my threads, presumably because they have been awaiting someone else's work to appear, and up pops someone else (first) with something cheap which works. Amazing.

Frankly, I don't need all this hassle. Why should I have to?

My original intentions were to supply some units for people to review and test, then everyone would know if they wanted one or not. Simple and sensible. I am not doing this for a job, although I was hoping to sell some units and make some money on it; but I feel so disappointed in the replies to the threads, and their hostility, that I really can't be bothered anymore. Great work guys - what will you do for an encore?

Hey, I'm not trying to be hostile!

Also, I don't think he actually hijacked the other thread, I think you misunderstood him...

Hey, I'd still like to buy your pad, I just think it'd be a good idea to incorporate both of them. If you won't do it, then I'll just buy both and put them together.

I really do respect you for being the first to fit a pad though, I'm just trying to bring a little more open-mindedness to this place.

jmetal88 posted on Mar 26 2006 at 04:14 PM said:
Hey, I'm not trying to be hostile!

Also, I don't think he actually hijacked the other thread, I think you misunderstood him...

Hey, I'd still like to buy your pad, I just think it'd be a good idea to incorporate both of them. If you won't do it, then I'll just buy both and put them together.

I really do respect you for being the first to fit a pad though, I'm just trying to bring a little more open-mindedness to this place.

Jmetal88 Thank you for your comments, my closing statement definitely was not aimed at you. Those reading the threads will know precisely who the people that I was referring to are, and why any reasonable person would have come to the same conclusion, that I have done.

Well Bacteria, an encore,

I'm not knocking your character, just your choice of pre-emptive and incorrect self congratulation. Your credibility is already limited as you are simply making things up in order to make it sound like your joystick does what you originally thought it does. ("Right on the nail DaveC"..you agreed that the GP2X SDK automatically converted two directions into a diagonal)
No-one needs to use your product to appreciate it as it clearly does not do what you state it does. That much is apparent with only a cursory glance at your posts.

Emulated software might make up 95% of the software on the GP2X but emulators alone do not (How many emulators are there? 10? 20?). If you are happy with disabling functionality to stick with emulators then go ahead.

The point I made was that your solution REDUCES functionality in the GP2X. It removes the ability to play anything other than emulators or software which has been coded to allow for this setup. It is worth noting that there is still only a few confirmed emulators that work. I, along with others I'm sure, would like to hear just how many emulators do work with your stick.

You aren't exactly dangling a carrot with your "well if you're nasty I won't let you try one", either. There will be few people who will want to beta test something that reduces the number of applications they can use and voids any warranty they may have. Those that do want to test it? Well, they say fortune favours the brave but in this case I would be inclined to disagree.

You have shown little or no respect to fellow hardware dev's, and even less respect to those who are writing bespoke applications for the GP2X. Who cares about new software provided you can use emulators? To top it off you have then went and started playing "poor little me" and claimed that others are having a go. Stop, re-read, think about it. I'm aware that you're pleased with yourself for making a mod. The problem is that it's only doing half the job it should be doing.

<edited for clarity on the number of emulators, apologies>

Cutting.

No offence but what Radek has done is so much more impressive.

god what's with the heavily negative attitude and pointless flaming?

This is supposed to be a friendly community. It's natural that bacteria wants to promote his solution and it does have distinct advantages over Radeks design.

1: much simpler installation which doesn't require case modification and is reversible.

2: sorry, a software solution that converts 2 directions into a diagonal is an easier solution than a logic chip. Aside from the additional cost and complexity there's the fact you've got 8 wires snaking around the inside of your unit, you've got to fit a circuit board in there too. As I found out when doing my battery mod, there's not a whole lot of space under the case and thin wires are pretty fragile and bare wire, which will have to be soldered doesn't take to bending very well.

A software solution can be implemented into the firmware or run on boot whilst still maintaining compatibility with all other stick types (which can't physically hit two directions at the same time)

Rather than getting aggressively negative or turning this thread into a "but he said..." can we talk about the pro's of this solution and compare and contrast in a way that isn't essentially "xxx pad sucks! yyy solution rules!!!"

Back