Damn Acer

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Ok, here's the thing, Acer insist on putting this program called Empowering technology on their computers and laptops, it takes ages to load up on startup, so I was wondering if there was any way to stop it loading when i boot up, cos I'm sure it's as simple as changing a boolean somewhere or other, so if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

REGEDIT is your friend :ph34r:

... I can't guide you ATM, I don't have admin rights on my work PC, but you can disable start-up crap from the registry.

Nova posted on Feb 5 2007 at 12:18 AM said:
Ok, here's the thing, Acer insist on putting this program called Empowering technology on their computers and laptops, it takes ages to load up on startup, so I was wondering if there was any way to stop it loading when i boot up, cos I'm sure it's as simple as changing a boolean somewhere or other, so if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.

I know nothing about windows, but my brother is a guru at such things and recommends "Startup control" to remove all that OEM crap at startup! I think the program he means is this one:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

And it's free (do a search or something first for spyware or whatever it is you windows guys do etc).

Anyway, anything with a name as lame as "Empowering technology" MUST go! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
there is an easier way to do this then either way stated, just I forget what the command is, all I know is you enter it in the run command prompt and it opens a program that can do it, I think...

DemonStar55 posted on Feb 4 2007 at 07:53 PM said:
there is an easier way to do this then either way stated, just I forget what the command is, all I know is you enter it in the run command prompt and it opens a program that can do it, I think...

... Ah yes, 'msconfig' will do the trick! :p

shinneri posted on Feb 4 2007 at 09:23 PM said:
Had the same problem on my fiancee's laptop, and here's my cheap fix: I located the file (it's only one file), and move it to a different folder. Doesn't load anymore. :p
:eek:

You're my age....actually over 3 months younger.......and you're engaged? :blink:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 4 2007 at 10:41 PM said:
Had the same problem on my fiancee's laptop, and here's my cheap fix: I located the file (it's only one file), and move it to a different folder. Doesn't load anymore. :p

You're my age....actually over 3 months younger.......and you're engaged? :blink:
Indeed. :) Never really planned on it.. just the way stuff worked out. Still, we're not making wedding plans at the present.

shinneri posted on Feb 4 2007 at 10:57 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 4 2007 at 10:41 PM said:

Indeed. :) Never really planned on it.. just the way stuff worked out. Still, we're not making wedding plans at the present.

Good for you man! I got married at 23, met my Wife at ~19 .. we're still on our honeymoon :wub: :wub: :wub:

TelcoLou posted on Feb 4 2007 at 11:16 PM said:
Good for you man! I got married at 23, met my Wife at ~19 .. we're still on our honeymoon :wub: :wub: :wub:
You seem to have a really cool relationship with your wife. Unfortunately, my fiancee's not a gamer... but I'm working on her (So far got her hooked on Pokemon, Puzzle Bobble, and Crazy Taxi... :blink: ).

One of the discs will have the drivers for the laptop hidden away... (I discovered this when I came to "uninstall" Vista)

The best thing you could do is format the window partition and start with a clean slate. (Make sure you have the drivers for all the laptop's devices first though!):)

No more crappy preinstalled programs.

Back