Damn it!

Zen

I'm in a foul mood right now.

My pc won't talk to my GP32. I've reinstalled pclink 3 times (1.2 and 1.3) and still it bitches about the drivers or connection probs. The usb ports are fine.. I even tried the ports I use for my scanner, printer and digicam but no luck.

The gp32 seems fine.. it runs whats on its SMC (not a lot, its only an 8mb card)

So atm I have a £160 FLU GP32 thats almost useless.. I also just paid for 2 Gigs of web space for my gp32 site. bah :/

btw I tried changing the batts and no, I don't have a card reader :/

Windows XP Pro (not changed any hardware or major software in weeks)

its been working fine all through xmas and yesterday... :/

Edit: The bloody thing is driving me potty every time I attempt to plug in the gp32 "found new hardware", "found new hardware", "found new hardware" Grrrrr

hav e you tried reinstialling the usb drivers or try the ones that are based on the XP S something or other?

if you have two files for the usb drivers one should end in ".sys". If the other file dosent have a letter ext than add ".inf". now you should be able to install them the way you usually would. i tell you this because i had the same prob with my win 2000 drivers, but maybe it isnt the same in the winXP drivers.

TURN ON PC
CONNECT USB CABLE TO PC
CONNECT USB CABLE TO GP32
TURN ON GP32
SELECT PCLINK MODE ON GP32

AT THIS POINT YOUR PC SHOULD TELL YOU IT RECOGNIZES A DEVICE ON THE USB PORT, IF YOU HAVE NOT INSTALLED DRIVERS, THEN POINT THE INSTALLATION WIZARD TO THE FOLDER YOU HAVE THE DRIVERS IN

ONCE THE DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED CORRECTLY

START PCLINK PROGRAM ON YOUR PC

Thanks for all the help guys.

But... I've done it and yes, I have the XP drivers. I point it to the sys file and other file and after a while it gives an error. 'hardware error has occured'

I've tried downloading the pclink installer and the XP drivers again, but I get the bloody same.

getting miffed now... :/

notice to EVERYONE- BUY A CARD READER!!

they're cheap as hell, damned easy to use, none of this connection problem bullshit.

i know it doesnt help you right now, but trust me. after you see the difference you'll never go back.

just think - for the price of 2 sandwiches, unlimited happiness! (and chips and a coke)

(they should just give them to you free when you get a GP32.. ah well)

Soooo it worked beofore? And you have freelauncher? If I'm right, I'd just get a SMC reader, then flash your FW, so you don't have to worry about connceting the GP32 to PC anymore, even if freelauncher gets wiped off the SMC for some reason...

Believe me I know how essential the SMC r/w is and i'm working on bundling one with the GP32, its something i've wanted to do for a while now, i'm trying to do it for as little cost as possible, so i'm searching HK for someone stuck with a load of SMC r/w's that I can get for a $ :)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Craig, you should give me a free card reader ;)

Reply to above: Yes, it was fine before. it was working 100% until I wanted to transfer a file tonight.. and since then its screwed.

also.. I stuck my gbax cd in and tried to install the driver from that... same smegging error.. sob :angry:

I'd love to buy a card reader, but:-

a: I don't have the money (broke atm)

b: the wife won't let me borrow her cc ;)

That happens to me obut Im on 98 all I do is reset my comp and is your smc in upsidedown/backwards that happens to me sometimes but then I realize

resetting usaly works for me

like Hando says - try squidgelink - it solved my link-problems.

Cheers

/motten

I have had the same problem (once in a while it happens)

Anyway the way that works (well for me)

Switch on GP32 select "Link Mode" (or whatever it says on the GP32)
Select Pc Link and then when it comes up with the box saying "Make sure the device is connected and then press enter" connect the gp32 and hit enter

This will work 99% of the time (with me anyway)

Cheers

Thanks again for the help guys :D

Squidgelink... hmmm I'll look for it.

EDIT:- I just tried squidgelink 0.3 but no joy. I tried to install the xp drivers that come with it, but I'm getting the same error as before.

Getting to the end of my tether now.. I feel only a system reinstall will fix this and I'm way too busy to reinstall 104gb of apps and shit.

poxy usb shit.. :p

I dont know if this is any help to anyone, but I think everyone who starts out gets problems with their USB. (I certainly did).

I use Windows ME (Yeh I know its dodgy as hell, but dont have a powerful machine) and always make sure that Darkfader's PC link is set on the GP32 (so it says waiting). Also, make sure the link is firmly pressed into the slot. (the tiny bit on the GP32, you'll know when its properly in). Its very easy for that thing to come loose. (Happens to me, and then I go about reinstalling drivers before realising etc..). Also the way in which the previous post states that it constantly says "found new hardware" makes me think this as well. The hacked version of PC link on the GBAX cd is the best since it puts all files into 8.3 format. (no hassle renaming files etc).

I've also shoved the SMC in the wrong way and thats not helpful either.

The only other thing is that if the GP32 boots into an OS you dont want it to, then hold select when you turn it on to be able to choose your OS (e.g. pc link on multifirmware)

Hope this helps you and others.

Back