Damn it!

You may need to check the hardware settings (I think under Control Panel, System or something) to see if it features in the list under USB Controllers. If it doesnt appear that would mean that even if the files are present then its not logged in the registry. (where all software/components are registered and appear in Add/Remove Programs for example)

I think you're best bet now is to connect it to a different USB port, make sure its firmly connected at the GP32 end, reset, wait for the "found new hardware" and go by that approach. Or go through control panel "looking for new hardware" - let it search for it. (Need Darkfaders pc link on in GP32), and try and reinstall USB drivers this way.

It may also be worthwhile (although there is a chance of friggin' your computer) searching the registry to remove the tags previously generated by botched installations. Type "regedit" in "Run" and search using F3 for GP32 and see what happens. Only delete stuff associated with GP32. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS. You'll be messing with the guts of your computer and can royally screw up Windows if you accidentally delete something you don't mean to. Thats the best I can do.... When/if you do get it working. The blood, sweat, tears are worth it. It makes commuting so much easier....

Thanks lizard :)

The gp32 doesn't appear in the usb list.

also, I've tried 3 diff usb ports (2 which I know are fine.. ie printer and scanner)

After the 2nd time I got the error, I used regedit and removed all gamepark entries. no luck though :/

btw I just tried to install pclink on a friends pc and it worked fine.. no errors.. bugger :blink:

running out of ideas fast...

going to reset and try once more at installing it manually, via the device manager

The other idea I had, depending on how precious your Hard disk is, is to buy a second cheap hard disk only 3/4 GB (next to nothing and can be used as cache disk for internet as well) and shove another windows os on it and connect to it that way. Or partition your current Hard disk (risky with stuff on it).

The reason pc link doesnt work is due to the previous installations, since xp doesnt know which one to use. (I've had similar trouble with a parallel port zip drive- its annoying). You could also use some kind of virus checker/hard disk cleaner to look for botched installations. That might help also.

Anyway, Im sure you'll sort it before a meltdown occurs....

Right, time for me to do some work instead of reading these forums... :)

I have 2 hard drives, one running ME and one running XP. I have the same problem.

I eventually gave up and bought a USB card reader for 10 English Pounds and that lets me copy emulators,roms & FXE files to the SMC.

The only thing I can't do (as far as I know) is install FPK files.

I have 2 hard drives, one running ME and one running XP. I have the same problem.

I eventually gave up and bought a USB card reader for 10 English Pounds and that lets me copy emulators,roms & FXE files to the SMC.

The only thing I can't do (as far as I know) is install FPK files.
You can use the fpk extractor to install fpk files. i installed pinball dreams and gpcinema this way. once u are registered at any sites u want to buy anything, u dont need the link cable again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a screen grab of the error I'm getting.

check out http://www.something-odd.co.uk/error.jpg

it says file not found, yet I point it where the sys file and other file is. ie xp drivers.
The error message quoted in the picture you have uploaded is, despite the misleading text, the cause of a wrongly deleted registry key. Until this key is restored, you'll find most new USB hardware will fail to install, but existing USB devices will continue to function.

The solution is to either reinstall Windows, or find out what the deleted registry key is, and replace it. "Regmon" is a nice little tool for this, as it'll tell you what keys are trying to be opened, and you can then copy the key from another machine.

EDIT: Regmon can be found at www.sysinternals.com

After much faffing about with the registry and drivers last night, I finally got the sod working! yay!!

But.. I swore never to go through it again and bought a card reader today from jessops (£12)

also treat myself to a bigger smc 64mb :D (128mb was £40.. couldn't afford it)

I think its... GAMING TIME :D

Thanks again to everyone that tried to help

Well would you believe it.. the sodding usb card reader won't install..

stand outside my window in about 5 mins, you may be able to catch the pc on its way down... :angry: :angry: :angry:

After much faffing about with the registry and drivers last night, I finally got the sod working! yay!!

But.. I swore never to go through it again and bought a card reader today from jessops (£12)

also treat myself to a bigger smc 64mb :D (128mb was £40.. couldn't afford it)

I think its... GAMING TIME :D

Thanks again to everyone that tried to help
£40 ouch!!! Try somewhere cheaper like £20 + few quid postage

final news report..

after a fresh system install, the card reader and pclink are working!!

and I'm playing some COOL shit :D

:lol: :D :lol: :D

No I didn't find it.

No probs, doesn't take long to install xp pro and d/l the updates.

adsl rocks ;)

For reinstalls I prefer Ghost myself. Install XP, get all the updates, all the drivers installed, all the most common progs, then ghost the drive onto a dvd-r.

Next time I need to reinstall, just stick the dvd in, wait 10 minutes, and it's fully installed, updates, drivers, apps, and all :)

Back