Release Daphne WIP

DRAGON'S LAIR ENHANCEMENT ROM SET VERSION 2.1

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/enhancements/dle21.asp

This ROM set has been created to enhance the gameplay of Cinematronics' 1983 arcade version of Dragon's Lair. Logical reconstruction to game organization and presentation has been implemented, and the result is what is believed to be the first and only Dragon's Lair game program that plays the game the way it was intended to be played while it was being designed/animated. These ROMs also optionally access the prototype animation newly recorded at the end of the Dragon's Lair Limited Edition Laser Disc that was pressed in 2002. Once again, this is optional. The new disc is NOT required for DLE 2.1.

Any way to get Daphne to skip all that zenity rubbish and automatically launch Dragon's Lair in full screen with score overlay? It's extremely tedious to have to mouse around every time.

Any way to get Daphne to skip all that zenity rubbish and automatically launch Dragon's Lair in full screen with score overlay? It's extremely tedious to have to mouse around every time.

Create a folder called "scripts" in the appdata. In there create a file called "daphne.bin.sh" with the following content:

Code:
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="omapdss"

export SDL_OMAP_VSYNC="1"

export SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE="800x480"

./daphne.bin lair vldp -framefile "/path/to/your/framefile/yourframefile.txt" -fullscreen -homedir . -useoverlaysb 1

Of course you have to put your path and filename in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I finally got around to setting up Daphne properly, and boy this is AWESOME. Being able to play the laserdisc classics in the palm of my hand is a dream come true.

For those of you who use windows, I found 2 great programs to help change your MPEG's to the lower bit rate, and to demux the files once your done so that Daphne reads them properly. SUPER:http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html, mcobit suggested this one, and it works great. Then I used Streamclip:http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html to demux the files, once I changed the bitrate. Both programs are free, and are very easy to use.

If anyone needs any help, just let me know, and I'll try to make a tutorial to walk you thru the process.

@mcobit

Thanks for this great emu, now that I have resized everything, Daphne really runs well. I do have a few questions though. Do you still plan to make a new menu/frontend/Daphne loader for this? What is here is very functional, but most of these games have options in there dipswitches/menus that cant currently be used. Things like extra men counts, help menus in Dragon's lair 2, and Cliff Hanger, difficulty, ect.

It would also be nice if there was a way to save settings per game(clock speed, game settings, ect), and to also go back to game selection once you exit, instead of dropping back out to the desk top. Thyers Quest uses a full keyboard, would it be possible to allow the Pandora's keyboard to be used? I personally have not gotten this one to really start, so I believe the keyboard is a must.

It would really be nice to see some improvements with this emu over time, as it is a true classic, and deserves to really shine. Any updates would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

I will try to make a better frontend for it. With my limited codingskills, that could take a while though.

Maybe I will look into picklelauncher.

If anyone wants and can do it faster, be my guest!

You rock mcobit!

Just getting this up and running was great, and I understand completely how hard that must have been. Sadly, you are probably in this alone, as DAPHNE just isn't that interesting to most people. Like I said earlier, I asked for a port of this when the Pandora first arrived, and I believe maybe 1 or 2 people at most even responded to my request, and those replies where "that would be cool" and "what the hell is Daphne" :p

Hopefully there is a good programmer out there who will receive his/her Pandora soon, and can help out. I would think Daphneloader would be the best bet, as it already exist and has all the games options/bells & whistles already in place. I'm not sure if it works as a frontend to Daphne, or if it is a stand alone version of Daphne that allows access to all the in game options, but either way it seems the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wf_Z_Qv1-fE?feature=oembed

Well, even if you never get past what you have currently done, THANK YOU for this, as it is now in regular rotation on my Pandora. :lol:

Chris

Daphneloader is written in some kind of basic, that hasn't got an interpreter for Pandora right now.

That is the reason, I didn't include it in the first place.

Daphneloader is written in some kind of basic, that hasn't got an interpreter for Pandora right now.

That is the reason, I didn't include it in the first place.
I figured something must have been differant(not suited to linux/Pandora usage), as it is pretty much the standard on the PC now. Oh well, maybe something similar or better can be made at some point ;)

I'm really loving this. I've had handheld versions of Dragon's Lair before, but being able to play authentic versions of many other classics in the palm of my hand is just the best. Daphne is really one of my main reasons for wanting a Pandora so many years ago, and I was really starting to think it wouldn't happen. Thanks again for you effort in making it a reality on the Pandora.

Chris

Thanks mcobit.

At first, it was crashing out to the desktop, but then I deleted all the config folders, and let the PND create new ones, and it now works fine. This is really cool, as it allows the user to exit back to the game selection menu, instead of to the desktop. You can also turn on the cheat option, which appears to turn on unlimited lives in certain games.

Great work sir. Do you have any future plans to add in any extra options(like in game extra player count, ect. per game)? Also, what about adding in a game graphic once you select your rom?

Thanks again, as this is really nice, and seems to function well. A few more bells and whistles would be nice if and when you find the time. DAPHNE on the Pandora just got a little better.

Chris

A gamegraphic per rom is possible and I can implement that, if you like.

Please be more specific about what ingameoptions you mean and how they are called with pc daphne. I can only work with commandlineargs here.

Edit: just saw the option.

I can let you select a bank and the dipswitchsettings for this bank in the next version.

Edit 2: In DL2,try pressing and holding the swordbutton, then press 9 and let them go. Should bring you to the servicemenu ;)

A gamegraphic per rom is possible and I can implement that, if you like.

Please be more specific about what ingameoptions you mean and how they are called with pc daphne. I can only work with commandlineargs here.

Edit: just saw the option.

I can let you select a bank and the dipswitchsettings for this bank in the next version.

Edit 2: In DL2,try pressing and holding the swordbutton, then press 9 and let them go. Should bring you to the servicemenu ;)
Yeah, the dip switch settings is what I was referring to in regards to more options being included. As those control the extra player count, difficulty, ect. Also, adding in a snapshot pic would be very cool as well.

Also, would it be possible to combine the rom and framefile selection into one? All my rom and framefiles have the exact same name, so I can't imagine I will ever need to select "lair" rom, and then "ace" framefile, so it just seems like an extra step overall. Not a big deal if it's not possible(as there may be a reason for it to work as it does), but it would be nice to help streamline this emu. Thanks again for all the effort, DAPHNE ROCKS!

Chris

The roms and framefiles CAN have the same name, but they don't HAVE to.

That means, if everybody just names their framefiles like their roms and put them in tha framefile folder, this is no problem. It is just a bit more flexible as it is right now.

But thanks for the suggestions! Lets see, what is working good.

The roms and framefiles CAN have the same name, but they don't HAVE to.

That means, if everybody just names their framefiles like their roms and put them in tha framefile folder, this is no problem. It is just a bit more flexible as it is right now.

But thanks for the suggestions! Lets see, what is working good.
Having this be flexible is good, so not putting them together is not a big deal. I always assumed the exact name was required, but if it is not, the way it is currently is probably best. Daphne now saves the last rom/framefile picked, so that makes it easier as well.

Being able to access the dipswitch settings is a must, and along with a preview pic for each game will pretty much round out Daphne and make it complete(IMO). I'm not sure if it is possible(as I'm not sure if it works on the PC), but is there any way for the high scores to be saved? As that would be very cool as well, and be icing on the Daphne cake :lol:

Chris

mcobit, you are DA MAN! ;)

I'm heading out the door to run some errands, but I'll report back later today.

Chris

Hey mcobit, it appears to function as it should.

Do you still have plans to add in game pic/marquee support?

Thanks Again,

Chris

I still want to do that, but it has to wait. I use gtkdialog for the frontend right now, which is batchscript compiled to the menu at runtime. So doing that selfmodifiing is not really possible ( loading picture on romchange).

Have to make an sdl frontend or something, but I am still learning.

From a functionality point of view it should be pretty complete, don't you think?

I think I will update on repo now after some more tweaks.

Back