Release Daphne WIP

@Budweiser

Great new avatar! :lol:

@mcobit

Yes, Daphne is very functional and works very well. Thanks again for your hard work in putting this on the Pandora, as this is not the most popular form of classic gaming, and many don't see the value in what it offers. Sorry to hear about the picture preview problem, and I completely understand. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, not a big deal, as Daphne really is a dream come true for me.

P.S. Was it possible to add in highscore save support?

Chris

Hey mcobit, what's happening with the new build?

I just got it from the repo, and tested it out, but I'm not seeing anything new. Did I download it to fast before the repo could update?

Thanks again for whatever was done.

Chris

Could you please give an example of how to change the first line of the framefile to point to the .mpeg dir.?

Could you please give an example of how to change the first line of the framefile to point to the .mpeg dir.?
Start at page one of this thread, and work forward. Almost every issue/problem with Daphne has been covered in great detail.

Chris

Jumpman: It is the same one, as from this thread. You downloaded the testversion, but I didn't update the repoversion. So now everybody can download the latest version with the frontend from the repo.

birdwithskirts: It should be something like this:

Code:
/media/SDCARDWITHYOURFILES/YOURFOLDER

Jumpman: It is the same one, as from this thread. You downloaded the testversion, but I didn't update the repoversion. So now everybody can download the latest version with the frontend from the repo.

birdwithskirts: It should be something like this:

Code:
/media/SDCARDWITHYOURFILES/YOURFOLDER
Cool, thanks for the fast reply. I never noticed that this latest version hadn't been in the Repo yet. I guess I should have looked at my version number before I updated the PND.

It's always good to give this thread a bump, so no harm, no foul. :lol:

Chris

Hello All,

The Laser Disc games have always fascinated me. I played them alot in the arcade. I even bought the versions that came out on the Atari ST. Took a long time to load, but they still were fun. I would love to give Daphne a try. Where is everyone getting their roms, MPEG's from?

I bought de DragonsLair DVD and downloaded the rest with daphneloader on pc.

Its the only legal way I know of.

If you already have those you can install pc-daphne and do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the official Android port of Dragon's Lair not long ago. I'd love to make use of those video files. They're 480x320, ~1100kbps, total folder size only 165MB. They'd probably look great stretched to fullscreen. I've unpacked the Android .apk but there's no sign of a frame file (it's not Daphne based of course). Seems there are some guides around for making your own frame files, but the video files I have seem to have nothing in common with the ones most Daphne users are talking about (ie different formats, and completely different names).

That's a bugger. Pretty much sounds like a dead end, yeah?

Daphne uses mpeg2 video files. You might want to reencode your videofiles and create the framefiles for them (I don't even know how to do that).

Another possibility would be to get the dragon's Lair DVD and get the files from Daphneloader on your MainPC.

@jumpman :

could you please give a bit of information about the use of SUPER ?

Which parameters should I choose to encode Astron ? (not sure about Output Container, Output Video Code, Output Audio Codec)

Should 'Hi Quality' be checked ?

Thanks !

EDIT : and what's Streamclip for exactly ?

@BAFelton

Damn, why didn't you ask these questions 4 months ago, when this process was fresh in my mind :p

Anyways, I will do my best to try and get you on the right path. I don't have my original video files handy, so I'm just going to give you the info from the ones I'm currently using. I also hope you already have DAPHNE up and running, as this information is just to help these clips run better. As getting DAPHNE running from sctratch is another ball of wax altogether.

Once you run SUPER and add your video file to the conversion box, you can double left click on the file to get a detail of that clip. If I remember correctly, I would keep the framrate the same as the original along with the aspect ratio. I would only ever change the video scale size, and the bitrate. I believe the video size for AstronBelt needs to be manually done for 512x480(aspect 4:3), and I would pick a bitrate around 2000(a number higher or lower, as you can't set a specific 2000).

The encoder I think I kept on MEncoder or FFmpeg, I can't remember for sure, I played with differant options, but I don't think anything really changed in that area. I also tried the High Quality option as well, and I don't remember if that does anything special either, just leave it off for now.

The output container should be "MPG" and the video code should be "MPEG-II". Lower down in the audio box, just pick "disable audio" as it is not needed(as normally your video clips should be audio-less anyway unless you are making your own clips form DL sources). Now when I say it is not needed, normally any daphne video clips should also have a seperate audio OGG file included. Even though you change the video around a bit, the original audio should still work fine with the new clip.

Now for stream clip, this is for "Demux"-ing the file. DAPHNE needs the audio and video to be in 2 seperate files, so once you change your bitrate and such, it makes the file appear to be a certain way which I believe looks like audio is included. So you use this program to seperate your new vido clip to a file that no longer includes audio. Now you may be thinking, I disabled audio so why do I need to do this? I have no idea, it just makes Daphne now use use your new video clip as it should. Now, if you have converted a dvd image over, then you would use this method to seperate out your audio clip as well, as you wouldn't already have that since you are making your own audio and video from sctatch(this was to much work for me, and it can only be used for DL, SA, and DL2).

I hope this helps, as this information was no longer fresh to me, but I think I did a fairly good job to remember. You can always play with the settings in SUPER to try and improve how well your video clips run with DAPHNE. I personally just followed the recomendations of other users in regards to bit rate & screen resolution. Once The games ran for me, I didn't bother to try to improve performance or anything else, but you can if you have the time or the desire. If you have any other problems, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer with a worhtwhile answer.

Chris

BAFelton,

You may also want to try the scripts that were in posts #98 and #100. Both methods work well for reencoding the Daphne files.

Good luck, this is an awesome emulator on the Pandora!

BAFelton,

You may also want to try the scripts that were in posts #98 and #100. Both methods work well for reencoding the Daphne files.

Good luck, this is an awesome emulator on the Pandora!
+1 for the scripts. That was out of my scope, but may be easier if you know how to run them. I'm a drag, drop, and clik kind of guy personally! ;)

Chris

Ok, I updated to the latest Daphne, and now my Dragon's Lair doesn't play :(

In my framefile directory, I have:

lair.dat - 173 KB

lair.mkv - 499,637 KB

lair.ogg - 26,853 KB

lair.txt - 1 KB

Lair.txt contains:

Code:

151 lair.m2v

There are also directories for roms (contains lair.zip) and "mpeg" which contains an empty folder called "lair".

Daphne.log contains:

Code:
--DAPHNE version 1.0.7

--Command line is: ./daphne.bin lair vldp -framefile /media/SD1/pandora/appdata/daphne/framefile/lair.dat -fullscreen -homedir . -useoverlaysb 1 -sound_buffer 2048

--CPU : UnknownCPU 0 MHz || Mem : 0 megs

--OpenGL: Not Compiled In

--RGB2YUV Function: C

--Line Blending Function: C

--Audio Mixing Function: C

Setting alternate home dir:

Setting sound buffer size to 2048

Could not initialize video display:

Video initialization failed!

Any ideas what's wrong? I have installed the community codec pack.

Edit: That was from running on the experimental kernel - I've set it back to HF7b1 and now get a load of other errors, saying that the framefile is corrupt and must contain more than 2 lines. Strange...

Edit 2: All working now!

D.

Back