Davec's Joystick Cap Mod

I got mine today. I must say, WOW, its about a hundred times better than the stock stick. I can now pull off moves in Samurai Shodown (mame) flawlessly every time. Technical explinations aside, thats all the convincing i needed. I have one of the first ones without the ridges, and its still not at all slippery with sweaty hands. Worth the ten bucks for sure! Well done.

-If there was any fault, it would be that it sat a little to far down, causing contact with the case. As per DaveCs instructions, a little paper in the hole fixed that right up.

Glad you like it. Yeah I make the hole so that it can go as low as possible (to help dead zone a bit). I figure if it goes too low you can put in paper. If it is too high though you are kind of out of luck as you would have to drill it out. I just played it safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got Dave's joystick cap today and it's great. I find it pretty good for fighting games but excellent for action games like Metal Slug, Contra or shooters. Much much better than the OEM joystick.

Suggestion is to not push the joystick cap in all the way but enough so that when you push left or right, the edges don't hit the case.

Great job Dave! :D

Do I have to glue it on? Or is it molded inside so that It stays on firmly. Cu my original one spins unless I use glue :p

I got mine today, one of the new ones with the ridges.
With the original stick I had problems getting to level 3 of R-Type in the PCEngine emu (Oh the shame of it).
With the new stick I completed it on my first attempt.

This stick kicks arse for shmups, I'm well happy :)

Thands DaveC, $11 well spent

I will be ordering my from Dave asap, the stock stick really takes away from the enjoyment of some of the emu's and really gets on my nervs.

When I get my ordered and it arives I will to post feedback on it, though im 99% sure it will be highly positive.

Yeah, I ordered mine last night too. I'll post my initial impressions when I get it, looking forward to lasting more than 10 seconds on Jumpman Jr :)

thats weird that it moves, are you sure you pressed it down as far as it will go? you have to push pretty hard

thats weird that it moves, are you sure you pressed it down as far as it will go? you have to push pretty hard

Well yeah it does clip on, but I raise it up a bit +glue so I can actually play games... If I have it clipped on, i find it hard to turn right and too easy to go in the diagonals :huh:

well, i got mine from davec and so far it is very good. It is much better than the stock stick. The two things that I think would make it better would be to coat it in a rubber-like material and to make the top of it more narrow so that your thumb fits nicely in the indentation (however, i may just have a small thumb....).

Thanks for the great work davec!

anything has to be better than the stock stick, i need to find some spare $11 and hurry up and get this thing..its driving me nuts, i'd also really like a retrocon cap...anyone got a perfect condition untouched retrocon cap they wanna sell me?

i hear the retrocon pads have 2x joysticks, so you'll only need 1...sell me the other!

Well yeah it does clip on, but I raise it up a bit +glue so I can actually play games... If I have it clipped on, i find it hard to turn right and too easy to go in the diagonals :huh:

The diagonal issue is an electronic one. There isn't a cap around that will fix that unfortunatly.

As far as glue, you won't need any. These caps fit pretty tight.

well, i got mine from davec and so far it is very good. It is much better than the stock stick. The two things that I think would make it better would be to coat it in a rubber-like material and to make the top of it more narrow so that your thumb fits nicely in the indentation (however, i may just have a small thumb....).

When I tested the sticks my thumb seemed to fit pretty well in the indentation. I am not a big guy either, just average. You could probably get some of that rubber stuff and dip it if you wanted though. You will probably get more used to it as you go.

Here's a crazy idea:

Ever think of sending GPH one of those joycap things? (or even just a picture of one?)

unless you are worried they would rip it off and never give you credit.

(I doubt they could copy it well enough :p :D )

My Joystick Cap arrived this morning, and I have to say is that the difference is fantastic! I can finally play shoot em ups properly and avoid enemy bullets with ease...thanks Dave! :D

When I tested the sticks my thumb seemed to fit pretty well in the indentation. I am not a big guy either, just average. You could probably get some of that rubber stuff and dip it if you wanted though. You will probably get more used to it as you go.
I think we have to remember age difference here, we have people of 12 and people of 30.

DaveC
I received my joystick cap today, thanks very much. Played around with a few types of games. To be honest, I wasn't convinced at first but played for about half an hour and then replaced the GPH supplied cap. Using the original cap then felt like a huge step backwards! The replacement is clearly better.
If anyone is toying with the idea of getting one of DaveC's stick caps, you really should spend the $11 while he's still making them..

Thanks mate! :D

EDIT: fat fingers

Back