Daytona USA 3!

Nice. I note nobody (apart arguably the girl at the end) did a lot of drifting, which would suggest controls aren't quite there yet.

Still, I'd prefer a SCUD Race Plus sequel, but I guess the likelihood of that ever happening is diminishing on a daily basis.

Hurr, I'd love to play that

I had Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition on the Saturn - until sombody broke my disk, grrrr! It was so bad technically but still got played for hours on end^^

Shouldn't it be easy nowadays to emulate the original Naomi boards?

If you got some time to spare, dip into this video

As that video says, Daytona was never released on Naomi. Daytona USA was a Model 2 board, which is three arcade generations before Naomi IIRC. Daytona USA 2 was a Model 3 game. The first game was ported* to Dreamcast, which was a slightly cut-down Naomi board in a box.

I did post a Model 3 emulator to the ports request thread, but it never reached a non-beta state (although it seemed to be able to handle Daytona even as a 0.3 release), and it hasn't had an update in years. I doubt MAME-type cycle-exact emulation is going to be able to handle Daytona any day soon on handheld hardware, so you'll need a slightly hacky system emulator. There is a model2 emuator that's been handling Daytona on PCs for years, but it appears to be closed source.

* Well, more of a remix than a port, I guess.

As that video says, Daytona was never released on Naomi. Daytona USA was a Model 2 board
(...)
There is a model2 emuator that's been handling Daytona on PCs for years, but it appears to be closed source.
You're right I got the boards mixed up.

Didn't expect this to run on handhelds, that would be quite a surprise indeed. I'll try that emulator when I have more internets available, haven't played a racing game in ages. Last thing was GT Legends with the Altbierbude folks at a friends' place, using proper Force Feedback steering and all. Quite exhilarating stuff

Back