Dc Questions

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
WOW
just looked into the DC , and it kicks major ass
why have I never looked into it before?
anyways, I was wondering many a thing...
to make it gp32 related, could the 32 be emulated on the DC?
I think it could......
also, Do I need to aquire a mod chip to play all emus and such like other consoles?
will it play VCD's like I have heard rumors of the Tream Cast doing ( the PSOne of DC's )
I might have more later

O ya, whats up with it saying it can be networked through an ethernet cord and stuff??

Thx , this is sweet

~Octavious

as far as i know, about 80-90% of DCs can read cd-rs without any mods, meaning you can use homebrew, emus and backups.

with regard to ethernet, there was a modem released for the DC, pso made use of it.

modem, for what games, also, is there a list of games released in english?
and any games you guys would suggest for racing, figther pilot, FPS, RPG type person?

edit
ahhhh forgot this
~Octavious

I love my DC so much, so much so in fact that when it broke I replaced it immediately and still use the old one as the single coolest door stop ever :D

anyway, onto the questions :

Almost all DC's can run CDrs, basically as far as I know there was a later batch of DCs that were made unable to play CDrs to purge piracy and such like. Effectively the older the DC you get the more likely you will be able to run CDrs with emulators on. I think it was the very last batch of DCs that are problematic so just avoid them. Oh and no mod chip is required.

there are VCD players out there yep, check out www.consolevision.com and www.dcemulation.com, they are fantastic resources for DC apps.

Most DCs have a built in modem, there was a broadband adapter released (ethernet) but the chances of you finding one of those are very minimal. If you were to find a BB adapter for the DC you are advised to buy that bad boy immediately as they are worth quite a lot to the right people!

Grandia II is a fun RPG that was origoinly released on the DC but later on the PS2I Marvel Vs Capcom and Capcom vs SNK are good fighting games
the sega thing w/ all the genesis games on it is good

EDIT: these are the games I have

Sword of the Berserk Guts Rage - very fun based after the anime Berserk

Evolution 2 - an RPG its okay

Grandia II - very good RPG

Shenmue - very nice RPG very good graphics I believe theirs a second one for X-box

Capcom vs snk - fun

Marvle vs capsome - fun

Sega smash Pack Genesis games very fun

online play is all but dead, though i have heard that there are a few private servers still being run for games, basically I dont recommend you buy a DC specifically for online play...

there are a hell of a lot of English DC games, here are my personal favourites and arguably the best ones :

Fighting : Street Fighter 3, Capcom Vs Snk 2, Soul Calibur, Dead Or Alive 2, Rival Schools 2...and if you like crazy games then Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Racing : Metropolis Street Racer, Ferrari F335, Crazy Taxi (sort of racing), Daytona.

FPS : Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, I hear Soldier Of Fortune is pretty damn good too

RPG: Im not a huge fan so Im no expert but I thoroughly enjoyed Phantasy Star Online, Grandia is meant to be good, of course Shenmue I and II are pretty legendary.

Scrolling Shooter : well most are Japanese that are any good but hey, Shikigami No Shiro 2, Ikaruge, Psyvariar 2, Zero Gunner 2(I think you can get that in English) and Gunbird is ok but a little on the impossible side...except of course the fact that you get infinite continues ;)

Ikaruga - Greatest shooter ever!!!
Sonic Adventure - Pretty Cool
Shenmue - Boring yet fun... I didnt get past the first disk ever but always wanted to :(
Guilty Gear X - Cool
Soul Calibur - Daddy of beat em ups!!!

Metropolis street racer
crazy taxi 1 & 2

plus too many other good games to mention
if you can get hold of a dreamcast at a good price get it you wont regret it

Octavious posted on Jul 25 2004 at 02:24 PM said:
WOW
I think it could......
also, Do I need to aquire a mod chip to play all emus and such like other consoles?
will it play VCD's like I have heard rumors of the Tream Cast doing ( the PSOne of DC's )
I might have more later

O ya, whats up with it saying it can be networked through an ethernet cord and stuff??

Thx , this is sweet

~Octavious
Theres not a chance in hell the GP32 can be emulated by the Dreamcast.

No Modchip is required, if the Dreamcast you are going to buy will play a cd with songs that you have made yourself then it will play Dreamcast emulators/homebrew.

Check both http://www.dchomebrew.org and http://www.dcemu.co.uk for whats available including a rather sweet treamcast review :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wraggster posted on Jul 25 2004 at 04:08 PM said:
Octavious posted on Jul 25 2004 at 02:24 PM said:
WOW
I think it could......
I might have more later

Thx , this is sweet

~Octavious
Theres not a chance in hell the GP32 can be emulated by the Dreamcast.
Lol, I remember you asking the very same thing on your boards wraggster :).

Edit: And I used to live in Nottingham... I swear I recognise your face... I lived in Cotgrave if you know it?

The DC is very nice, but the community is not as friendly as GP32. In fact I nearly despise the community because they are not tolerant of newbies. At least DCemulation.com I have tried several times over the years to post a thread requesting extra help on making a self boot dreamsnes disc and I have never gotten a reply. However I would love to play homebrew on the DC however faqs and tutorials just don't register with me.

Check out my sig...most of them are worth buying especially Shenmue, Headhunter and Rez.

As for DCemulation they are nasty bastards when it comes to newbies, I think their outlook is, if you can't code then sod off.

My Dreamcast just arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. 50 bucks for the console, a VMU, and a few games? It was too good to pass up.

Twimfy posted on Jul 25 2004 at 07:01 PM said:
Check out my sig...most of them are worth buying especially Shenmue, Headhunter and Rez.

As for DCemulation they are nasty bastards when it comes to newbies, I think their outlook is, if you can't code then sod off.
Go to dcemu.co.uk. We have a fellow Gp32er running the site and its very well made out with good people.

I agree with you that certain sites are very unwelcome towards newcomers.

One of the reasons i opened DCEmu uk was the fact that the scene had become lazy, unwelcome and not appreciative of its fanbase.

ive also took in from sites like GP32X ideas etc and basically i wanted the best site with the friendliest forum for the Dreamcast scene.

already we have made great strides towards being the king of the Dreamcast scene. When our v2 is released it will really blow the others away.

we are hoping to have a coders contest soon and hopefully it will be a joint gp32/dreamcast scene contest.

as for gp32 emulation on the Dreamcast, yeah i did ask and i got good info on why not :)

Back