Dead F-100 Stick?

Mr. Ksoft

Still Fresh
Website
www.monochrome.yudia.net
Well, I'm late trying to find a fix for this, but I'm stuck.

Over the summer, my brother was playing Picodrive on his F100 and managed to knock the stick limp (it justs falls to the sides and does not register anything except stick click) while doing circular motions in Dynamite Headdy. This has happened a couple times before, so I figured I'd be able to work it into position again. In the mean time, I let him borrow mine... and he messed up the stick on mine within ten minutes. To make matters worse, I have not been able to get this round of stick-death fixed on either unit! I've read all the threads around here about working it up or down while moving it in circles-- nothing. And now, I'm really missing my old GP2X and want to fix mine up. I've taken a shot at it every few months, but I've gotten nowhere. I even tried opening it up and checking out the stick assembly. It doesn't appear broken or anything, but I don't know. Are there any alternate ways to fix the stick, or can I at least figure out if they need replaced completely? I'm not really in any kind of financial situation to buy a new system, Wiz, or etc, so fixing my old friend would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Ksoft said:
Well, I'm late trying to find a fix for this, but I'm stuck.

Over the summer, my brother was playing Picodrive on his F100 and managed to knock the stick limp (it justs falls to the sides and does not register anything except stick click) while doing circular motions in Dynamite Headdy. This has happened a couple times before, so I figured I'd be able to work it into position again. In the mean time, I let him borrow mine... and he messed up the stick on mine within ten minutes. To make matters worse, I have not been able to get this round of stick-death fixed on either unit! I've read all the threads around here about working it up or down while moving it in circles-- nothing. And now, I'm really missing my old GP2X and want to fix mine up. I've taken a shot at it every few months, but I've gotten nowhere. I even tried opening it up and checking out the stick assembly. It doesn't appear broken or anything, but I don't know. Are there any alternate ways to fix the stick, or can I at least figure out if they need replaced completely? I'm not really in any kind of financial situation to buy a new system, Wiz, or etc, so fixing my old friend would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
It's been a long time since I cracked the sucker open I just pulled it out of storage after about 2 years yesterday, but if i can recall you could try replacing just the cap on it. I hope there's a few places that still sell them.
http://www.chollogame.es/epages/61488288.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61488288/Products/gp2x_stick
I don't know this site at all I haven't used them before it's just an idea of what you can buy.
if you need to replace the whole assembly I don't know where you would find it exactly I'll take a look at it maybe tomorrow and see if it's a simple stick that can be replaced with a generic one and let you know. In the mean time keep browsing I recall their being some more info on this a long long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I doubt the cap is at fault, as it's not like I can get the stick to work even when I remove the cap...

I'm hoping the whole assembly isn't shot, although it seems likely.

Alternatively, I could consider a d-pad mod, as I think I've actually got the spare parts I'd need, but I have never really found a definitive guide and wouldn't trust myself to piece together information properly.

Mr. Ksoft said:
For some reason, I doubt the cap is at fault, as it's not like I can get the stick to work even when I remove the cap...

I'm hoping the whole assembly isn't shot, although it seems likely.

Alternatively, I could consider a d-pad mod, as I think I've actually got the spare parts I'd need, but I have never really found a definitive guide and wouldn't trust myself to piece together information properly.

You could be right, and a d-pad mod would work. Here's some information you may or may not have. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X_Issues#Joystick_Problems:_.28needs_input.29
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,878 - some pics of the inside of a gp2x some showing the joystick
You can see that there are 8 or so solder points on the board you just need to do some testing

This is something else you can consider
http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=seHrhfPpLDzpod%252baUG/vJA==
another poster said this was a good replacement and the legs on it look like it would fit the board perfect, doesn't look to hard to desolder and solder that one in.
Here's a UK link cause I'm not sure where your from
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2493381

most of the links are in the wiki article anyways, hope that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back