Dear Lord!

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Right to make my point im gong to type out thiss part of tmy post without using abackspace ekety *keu*key. Yes, I know I am an abysmal speller.

HOWE *Hoeweb * Howvever, I hope it show how intergral a bavkspace si rto most people.

I was just lokoing at the renders for the pandora anf noticed that there isn't actuall a backsapce key to be fount. I mean sure, theres a dlete, btut thats not really thes same in my opinion.

****End crap spelling*****

I know it's a really late time to be bringing up something so hardware-based and quite a small issue, but can you imagine more posts on these forums like the above? Because, In my opinion, that's what we might end up with if we ignore this.

A simple idea may be just to re-label the delete key as backspace, and make it function as a delete key if shift is held at the same time?

End bad spelling, create a backspace key!

Yea, I'm with you. Heh, I completely missed that, more focused on the lack of CTRL and ALT and the weird space "bar".

Originally I was going to map (if they allow, and they should, mapping) CTRL and ALT to L and R but I guess one will have to be backspace.

Man, you must have really, really terrible accuracy. I'm typing this at normal speed and I haven't had to press backspace yet...

Will it be that practical to do much typing on the Pandora anyway? I really like the Eee PC but trying to write an email using it's keyboard is a little bit painful and you make lots of mistakes too. The Pandora's keyboard will be smaller than the Eee PC so I imagine it would be even less comfortable to type with.

Exophase said:
Man, you must have really, really terrible accuracy. I'm typing this at normal speed and I haven't had to press backspace yet...
Granted, I was typing far beyond the optimum words per minute, but I was trying to make a point goddammit!

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
Exophase said:
Granted, I was typing far beyond the optimum words per minute, but I was trying to make a point goddammit!

;)

Not sure what optimum is, "normal" for me is ~100wpm. I more need a backspace key because I change what I want to say a lot @_@

I guess it's moot anyway since we know it'll function as one now.

I remember the good old days we had these really strange inventions called PENS!!! they had no back space key... not even a delete key, carriage return was available though it was more of a manual operation where by the user had to physicaly move the writing page up or move thier arm down to start on a new line, and spell checking.... you had to open a whole new application and search manualy for the word you wanted to know how to spell... and know how to spell it before you could find it, then you had to start your document over if you found too many mistakes.

Oh those were the days.

End bad spelling..... Learn who to write correctly from the get go.

I agree; we need a backaspacve button right nwo 0n t6heixa bocnasoel amirite? Even thopiugh nova smel;sal;a a lot for bvbirng9i0jngk thjias up.

The delete key is primarily a backspace. Unless something has changed. *refuses to look for source*

WhizzBang said:
Will it be that practical to do much typing on the Pandora anyway? I really like the Eee PC but trying to write an email using it's keyboard is a little bit painful and you make lots of mistakes too. The Pandora's keyboard will be smaller than the Eee PC so I imagine it would be even less comfortable to type with.
I couldn't imagine trying to touch-type on the Pandora keypad, but I don't think you're supposed to. I always figured the best thing to do is thumb-type, like on a Blackberry or Palm phone. I've had several qwerty cell phones, so maybe I'm just used to it. You can't type nearly as fast as on a regular keyboard, but it's not torture or anything. I certainly wouldn't want to type a novel that way.

http://search.ebay.com/palm-folding-keyboa...scsZ2QQsbrsrtZd

I would expect that the directionals or Action keys would be very suitable backspace or Ctrl/Alt function.

For serious typing I want one of these: http://search.ebay.com/palm-folding-keyboa...scsZ2QQsbrsrtZd

I hope that Serial Keyboard support is simple and easy. Or that Bluetooth keyboard is the way to go.

Just think, you could have a small case with one of these "full" keyboards, spare SD's, a Charger, cables, and the Pandora, and it would be smaller than an Eeepc!

These folding keyboards should be plenty easy to store and carry. This assumes serious use, and of course it will get that if it is a serious system, which it is shaping up to be.

(PS, L2 and R2 pads are available, if no other options present themselves a Backspace can be added later.)

Nova said:
;)
So normally you wouldn't make those mistakes, and so, normally, you wouldn't need the backspace key? ;)

Wegg said:
Guess you might need to slap an adapter on there too. . .

http://www.vernier.com/accessories/access....late=basic.html

That is going from where to where? The USB socket is in the back, no need for an adapter.

As for those keyboards, if I am carrying one that doesn't fold, you better believe it will at least have a numpad :D.

(and on that note, it will also include a Cradle, and a HDD, and a card reader, and possibly a charger.)

nubie said:
I would expect that the directionals or Action keys would be very suitable backspace or Ctrl/Alt function.
Wow, for some reason I completely overlooked that. Yes, the B (or S as people seem to like) button I could definitely get used to for backspace. The DEL key just seems a bit too far away. Really, I doubt I'll ever get used to that number bar, but the devs seem to think it will work, so maybe it will.

Backspace? The Pandora has 2 nice Shoulder buttons. ;) One could be for space and the other for Backspace, best solution I think because then you type with 4 fingers instead of just 2 (thumbs) :)

The number pad at the top should be good for first person shooters.
Im sure the keyboard layout will be something everyone can get used to. How many people text on their cell phone with just 9 keys?

Back