Deathtank Clone

Jan-Nik

Hi everyone!

I thought of creating a Deathtank clone for the Pandora after I read about it in the Saturn emulation thread.

What do you guys think of it? What would be important for you in a perfect Deathtank-like game?

One word. Multiplayer ;)

To be slightly more helpful, just make sure the physics are fun and not too realistic. Also, large colourful sprites :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think as close to the original, er, zwei(duke3d, not powerslave) as possible. MAYBE new weapons, if you guys are clever enough, haha

I didn't play Death Tank back in the day, but having looked into it I think a clone would be fantastic. :) +1 on multiplayer.

Also (please forgive the off topic) I would love to see a Pandora port of Tudi some time. ;)

In the late 90's there was an awesome tank-battle multiplayer game that I wasted many weeks playing, but I can never remember the name of it - I only played during the alpha/beta stages, as they then made it a for-pay game, but I swear that it was one of the most fun tank games I've ever played .. I really wish I could remember the name of it. Tanks had two weapon systems, could be heavy-armour/light-fast, and it was massively multiplayer - people could join the cities any time, there was a red and a blue team and it was really, really fun. I think the name started with "T-" something, but I can't remember for the life of me.. if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please pitch in.

That said, I would like to mention that WakeBreaker is half a tank game already, and I would strongly encourage anyone wanting to build such a game to look at this game demo and see for themselves if it would be worthwhile. If nothing else, a Spectre-VR clone could be made out of Wakebreaker pretty fast, I think .. http://w1xer.at/pandora/

One word. Multiplayer ;)
Yeah, that's really important :) .

To be slightly more helpful, just make sure the physics are fun and not too realistic.
I think physics would be very basic since I'm too lazy for implementing such things ;)

i think as close to the original, er, zwei(duke3d, not powerslave) as possible. MAYBE new weapons, if you guys are clever enough, haha
IIRC there are already many weapons in Zwei (never played it but saw some youtube videos). Btw: I think "Drei" would be a great name :D

I didn't play Death Tank back in the day, but having looked into it I think a clone would be fantastic. :) +1 on multiplayer.
Okay multiplayer seems to be really important. But playing on one Pandora is quite difficult, so online multiplayer is a must (can I say that in English?).

Also (please forgive the off topic) I would love to see a Pandora port of Tudi some time. ;)
Unfortunately I haven't got my Pandora yet :'(. But porting Tudi and JNTETRI will be the first things I do when it arrives ;)

In the late 90's there was an awesome tank-battle multiplayer game that I wasted many weeks playing, but I can never remember the name of it - I only played during the alpha/beta stages, as they then made it a for-pay game, but I swear that it was one of the most fun tank games I've ever played .. I really wish I could remember the name of it. Tanks had two weapon systems, could be heavy-armour/light-fast, and it was massively multiplayer - people could join the cities any time, there was a red and a blue team and it was really, really fun. I think the name started with "T-" something, but I can't remember for the life of me.. if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please pitch in.
Hm ... I don't remember that one. Another great Deathtank-like game is Cannon Hill btw.

Okay multiplayer seems to be really important. But playing on one Pandora is quite difficult, so online multiplayer is a must (can I say that in English?).

that's prefectly good english, or at least better than most british people :D (assuming that's what you meant)

But porting Tudi and JNTETRI will be the first things I do when it arrives ;)
Great news. :) I only ever played Tudi on the PC, simple but extremely addictive!

Regarding multiplayer for the Death Tank clone (or anything, really) I wonder how feasible it is to include ad-hoc networking for local multiplayer? It would certainly make your game the game of choice at any Pandora meetups!

that's prefectly good english, or at least better than most british people :D (assuming that's what you meant)
Okay thx :)

Regarding multiplayer for the Death Tank clone (or anything, really) I wonder how feasible it is to include ad-hoc networking for local multiplayer? It would certainly make your game the game of choice at any Pandora meetups!
AFAIK ad-hoc is possible with Linux but what's the chance of two pandora owners meeting in public anyway? ;) And for Pandora parties a wireless router should do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you do this jan-nik, you're basically my hero. if you get this going, maybe i'll teach the boards a drinking game my brother made up

"drunktank"

lots of rules, lots of drinking

Back