Kid Icarus Evolution (Working Title)

Would you be interested in playing a Kid Icarus style platformer?

• Total voters

Polk1986

Still Fresh
I am considering making a clone or fan game based on Kid Icarus, the insanely hard NES game that for some reason I can't get enough of. It's been almost 2 decades since a Kid Icarus game, but I thought it might be interesting to make an SNES style game to update the franchise in a fan game sort of like the new Starfox game. Let me know what you think!

I voted option 2. on the first question because I want a game that's insanely hard (or well, it needs the standard difficulty ramp but the end of that ramp should be really high). No artificial difficulty though (aka 200 monsters on screen or the IWBTG must-know-beforehand-what's-ahead-or-you're screwed) but instead difficulty connected to exploring + difficult maneuvers.

...and option 3. on the second question because I want new graphics. No pixel art, and no choppy animation à la the NES version. Use the hardware! Be creative! It's not necessary to add game elements to add graphics quality; playing with parallax layers and 3D can be enough to get a great looking game. As for the game mechanics; well you can't change them much from the original game but innovations would be welcome.

I'd love that, Kid Icarus is fantastic (and way underrated!).

I voted option one in both parts of the poll (I did *almost* vote SNES in the second one, though, since they never made a "Super Kid Icarus") - as Mega Man 9 proved, you don't need to use unnecessary 3D where it doesn't belong in order to make a fantastic game. :p

(Just to clarify my view here: 3D where it shouldn't be is one of my biggest pet-peeves in games. :lol: New Super Mario Bros. is a great example of why not to do such things, in my humble opinion - too much poor collision-detection, and an unpleasant viewing experience which has no personality whatsoever. :p)

Neat, I just played for the first time and beat Kid Icarus recently. I'm not against making it that hard in a general sense but please don't include eggplant wizards (or make them less awful somehow)

NES level graphics are fine. I wouldn't go for more if anything because it'd detract from the basics. At the very least you should see about doing things NES level then enhancing them later. I wouldn't try to do N64 type graphics. Those don't look that great these days.

Exophase said:
NES level graphics are fine. I wouldn't go for more if anything because it'd detract from the basics. At the very least you should see about doing things NES level then enhancing them later. I wouldn't try to do N64 type graphics. Those don't look that great these days.
+1; as I said, good graphics shouldn't interfere with the game mechanics so if done correctly, better graphics are easily added later in the development process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this sounds like a really fun project.

NES platformers are still some of the best games ever made!

By the way, IWBTG is the game that got me interested in difficult, NES style platformers again after many years apart (and is also a game that I would love to play on the Pandora... yes, I know we can't).

I would like to play a fan game but I think you should make your own graphics and gameplay style rather then trying to emulate an old consoles style.

I would like to see Pit return in the style of SSBB, personally. He looked kinda bad to me in the original. It doesn't have to be that good graphics. No. Just something in that style.

Edit: There's a starfox fangame? Where?

I think this game should be made in the same way that Mario on NES turned into New Super Mario Bros on DS. Basicly the same game concept but with modern graphics.

I have some coding experience, but as this would be my first game, I was hoping to do something along the lines of NES or SNES graphics. At the most maybe Donkey Kong Country style SNES, but I wouldn't hope for anything too awesome unless someone good with graphics wants to work on that part... This was more of an interest survey as I haven't started anything yet. If anyone is interesting in helping with development that would be super.

Something like a "Kid Icarus HD" would be amazing. It would be 2D, but with 3D-ish backgrounds and characters. New Super Mario Bros. would be an example (of the concept, not the game). Also, I can't help but thinking that Nintendo may act negatively to this, as they have done with many other fan projects.

Xian Long said:
i'm fine with NES or SNES style graphics, but i prefer NES. if you're going through with this, make it harder than the original.

Someone's a retro gamer. PLEASE don't make this harder than the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't care what the graphics are like as long as the play style is largely unaffected. Although if forced to choose at gunpoint, I'd have to say... shoot for SNES quality, and leave the polygons out of it.

The deal breaker for me would be the jump mechanic/physics. Get that right and I'll be there. As much as applaud homebrew devs, of the (admittedly small) sample of homebrew platformers I've played, none seem to have got the jumping right. And I think it's such an important area. Jumping in, say, a Mario game, feels so much better than in many other platformers, and I think it's one of the major reasons why Mario games have stood the test of time. Kid Icarus had a very distinct jump mechanic as far as I can remember. I imagine trying to effectively reverse engineer that would be a major challenge I would think.

But good luck anyway. I downloaded Kid Icarus on the VC when it came out on that with the intention of playing through it again. But I never got around to it like so many other retro games I've been stung with on PSN/XBLA/VC, maybe the Pandora will be what is required for me to bother picking it up again (after all, it looks arse on a HDTV but will look sweet on the Pandora). I hope your project turns out well so I can play that as well.

Back