Debian 11 can't write underscore symbol "_"

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Well just this. The symbol should be fn+d in Pyra's keyboard but it just doesn't work.

All other characters using fn seem to work. Can someone with bullseye confirm?

Yes it
Well just this. The symbol should be fn+d in Pyra's keyboard but it just doesn't work.

All other characters using fn seem to work. Can someone with bullseye confirm?

Yes, this is well known.

In Bookworm there are even two more characters not working like the colon : and I think it was also this one |. Quite important characters unfortunately.

Maybe the solution to this is very simple, but no one provided a solution yet.

Last edited:
Can you enter it as unicode (U+005F) ?

Yep this is known...

Sadly there is no official Bullseye release yet, It would be cool if aTc had some extra hands and there would be a focussed effort on getting pyra to bullseye. I think one of the issues is (correct me if Im wrong) that there is the nicely working letux kernel (by hns) around but not everything easily translates to the kernel that is currently in use by the pyra. These two efforts are not that correlated and seem to develop two seperate paths. And everything is still very much a voluntary effort.

Seeing the folders Bullseye and Bookworm in this link, how should anyone know these images are not official?
Also, these images still use the quite old Letux Kernel 5.6 from Buster, since the newer Kernels still have unsolved issues with the Pyra.
The lack of progress is just pitiful...

Yup. I myself wait for some kernel issues (mainly sound) to be resolved before resuming Slackware work.

I myself wait for some kernel issues (mainly sound) to be resolved
I haven't seen any wip on this in months...i'm starting to think that for the worse.
I have also asked here on forum and on discord an help on compiling kernel modules...but no response.:(

I will start to have some time to dedicate to the Pyra beginning of next month and I already have a prime on the kernel sound subsystem (updated a kernel driver for a specific DAC for a commercial audio product) - I can understand Risca's struggling on that! Not doing this regularly but I can try to have a look at it. What are the issues to look at and where is the code?

While testing Dosbox, it wasn't possible to write the colon or the underscore, even in Buster! A quick google showed the solution:
Just use the minus or semicolon keys, while holding the Shift key.
So Fn + Shift (L1) + ";" or "-" does the trick! This makes using Bullseye or Bookworm way more convenient!

I really wonder why no one else mentioned these problems within Dosbox...

Last edited:
Saw this thread a while back but apparently forgot to share how I solved it : I have a script in my home directory with these two commands :
xmodmap -e "keycode 221 = underscore" && xmodmap -e "keycode 247 = colon". IIRC colon should work on bullseye, but Im running bookworm and it doesn't work by default there.

If you're curious, I found the keycodes by running xev and just pressing the key combination. Not sure why these work and the default Xmodmap doesn't but eh.

Saw this thread a while back but apparently forgot to share how I solved it : I have a script in my home directory with these two commands :
xmodmap -e "keycode 221 = underscore" && xmodmap -e "keycode 247 = colon". IIRC colon should work on bullseye, but Im running bookworm and it doesn't work by default there.

If you're curious, I found the keycodes by running xev and just pressing the key combination. Not sure why these work and the default Xmodmap doesn't but eh.
This is very useful information. It should be pinned somewhere or sent to @EvilDragon or @aTc

Reactions: rSl
This is very useful information. It should be pinned somewhere or sent to @EvilDragon or @aTc
The keyboard mapping is a huge mess of layer after layer of translations to get to the final output. It's a miracle it works at all :)

(kernel key matrix output -> xkb pyra layout -> xmodmap , and after that funkeymonkey-pyrainput does a few things to it as well).
It's another one of those things that needs a complete rewrite to have things work properly everywhere.

Seems I can't post links. github dot com rvaiya/keyd could be an interesting solution for mapping the keyboard if it supports french/german symbols properly. It's a low level daemon so we could potentially cut out all the X stuff and get some nifty benefits, like retaining the mapping over a moonlight session.

What do I do wrong?
I I add those keycodes to my .Xmodmap file they won't get loaded.
I can source the xmodmap manually (xmodmap .Xmodmap) and that works.
So does the Pyra not source Xmodmap automatically?

I already tried what the Atch wiki suggests and put the following into .xinitrc
[[ -f ~/.Xmodmap ]] && xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

Executing that command manually does work, however it seems like it does not get triggered once I reboot.

Is there any way to add those keycodes and load them automatically?
Sure, I can make a startup script to run
xmodmap -e "keycode 221 = underscore" && xmodmap -e "keycode 247 = colon"
at each boot up. That however is something I would like to avoid and find a better solution for this.

Maybe a file is the wrong name or permissions? I seem to recall .xmodmaprc.

But these mappings would apply to terminal mode too right? Not just when running x11. There might be a better, more low level way of doing the mapping.

If your getting annoyed I'd put it in you .bashrc and call it a day.

Back