Debian On An Sd Card

trevormacro said:
I want to activate wifi to connect internet with debian how can i do ?

We don't seem to have WIFI drivers set up at the moment. :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have installed Debian on my SD card.

I want to install ndiswrapper in Debian. ( In first )

After that, i want to install TL-WN620G wifi drivers in Debian. ( In second )

Who want to help me to install in terminal (root mode) ?

I run terminal in root mode, extract "tar -xzvf ndiswrapper.tar.gz" but when i want to Make and install ndiswrapper "# make install" it don't work.

Thanks in advance.

trevormacro said:

I run terminal in root mode, extract "tar -xzvf ndiswrapper.tar.gz" but when i want to Make and install ndiswrapper "# make install" it don't work.

Thanks in advance.

Ndiswrapper doesn't run on ARM architectures I'm afraid.. you'll need to get the builtin wifi working, or use a wifi stick that has native Linux compatibility, with a kernel driver available.

My wifi stick is compatible with linux system.

How can i install my drivers with terminal please ?

otherguy66 said:
trevormacro said:

Anyone have any ideas?
how about "borrowing" kernel and modules from the official pandora firmware and using that to boot into debian arm ?

chris_c said:
otherguy66 said:
trevormacro said:

Anyone have any ideas?
how about "borrowing" kernel and modules from the official pandora firmware and using that to boot into debian arm ?

I think we were alreay doing that (gave us drivers for other things).

Stuckie said:
As far as I can remember, the kernel and the modules were copied over, but the startup scripts weren't - so that's probably all that's missing from my image at least.

I might actually have some time again soon to look at this!
Woo!
I assume there's a net install image for arm? I was thinking of ripping that apart adding the pandora kernel and modules so I could enable usb networking, but I'm not sure when I'll get time for that! :D

Stuckie said:
Possibly, I've just been using debootstrap to get a working system.
Be sure to go with sid and not lenny for Debian, or you'll be in a world of pain ;)
lol - naaah sid not that bad ! if you want real pain try upgrading angstrom packages with opkg, lots and lots of broken symlinks for libs... file conflicts oh the joy of it!
but seriously I can't see Lenny being that far out of date Angstroms not exactly bag upto date!
I do fancy checking out lxde on debian arm mind you...

Typically, just when I was starting to have some free time to look at this again, my Pandora develops a few faults :(
It's succumbed to the dodgy LCD cable issue ( seeing as it's serial number ends in 12, I guess it slipped through! ) and for some bizarre reason, my left nub's decided to become incredibly loose and is unusable. The nub wouldn't bother me as I'd still be able to do dev work on it, but the screen starting to go isn't helpful as I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing!

Hopefully I can get it sorted and continue to have some free time to look at this again, but effectively what I was going to do was drop my attempts at getting Ubuntu to work, and focus on Debian.
I did make another attempt at getting the Ubuntu Maverick ARM release running, but it didn't seem to show anything on screen so couldn't do much with it. I tried a few different kernel and module sets too but couldn't get it to boot before the faults showed up, so if someone does manage it, feel free to post which combination worked and I might have another look into it later.

Is anyone else trying to get Debian running just now? ( or indeed, is anyone bothered about getting Debian running on the Pandora? or am I the only madman that's doing it? ;) )

Stuckie said:
Typically, just when I was starting to have some free time to look at this again, my Pandora develops a few faults :(
It's succumbed to the dodgy LCD cable issue ( seeing as it's serial number ends in 12, I guess it slipped through! ) and for some bizarre reason, my left nub's decided to become incredibly loose and is unusable. The nub wouldn't bother me as I'd still be able to do dev work on it, but the screen starting to go isn't helpful as I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing!

Hopefully I can get it sorted and continue to have some free time to look at this again, but effectively what I was going to do was drop my attempts at getting Ubuntu to work, and focus on Debian.
I did make another attempt at getting the Ubuntu Maverick ARM release running, but it didn't seem to show anything on screen so couldn't do much with it. I tried a few different kernel and module sets too but couldn't get it to boot before the faults showed up, so if someone does manage it, feel free to post which combination worked and I might have another look into it later.

Is anyone else trying to get Debian running just now? ( or indeed, is anyone bothered about getting Debian running on the Pandora? or am I the only madman that's doing it? ;) )
Assuming my dodgy lcd cable holds up too... I've been looking at modifying the ubuntu arm netbook boot iso to run, however I've also got an arduino project on the go! (arduino makes pic mcu look like stabbing yourself in the face) but I digress
I think some form of stripped down ubuntu would be better than debian just alone because it is soo much more upto date

I does occur to me that if we can get just enough ubuntu to boot that has console and apt working then this would be a good base not only for a "net" install script but for people to experiment with their own "distro scripts" in addition it will be mb's of download not GB's :)

Getting Ubuntu to a console install is easy as that's all you can do with rootstock at the moment due to some bug in it. You then just copy it to an SD card, chroot into it from Angstrom on the Pandora, and start installing stuff.
However, as soon as you start adding X and friends in, there's some conflict or something that appears and it becomes unstable and sometimes reluctant to even fully boot.
It's probably some module or service they have that expects something in the kernel - which I generally replace with our Angstrom one to get driver support. So perhaps it would be fixed by doing some unholy merge between their kernel source and our kernel source and building that.
- Also, the amount of times I've had apt segfault on me at this stage just downloading and installing things! If it segfaults at the wrong time, it's got this wondrous habit of nuking itself as it's buggered up some Apt settings that I've never managed to fix short of just restarting from the base image... ARGH!

In terms of Debian being out of date - that's not exactly true if you use sid. Granted, stable releases are few and far between, but sid is usually pretty up to date. They also tend to provide packages "as-is" with as few patches as possible.
I don't know how long it's going to take for Squeeze to become stable, but that seems to be the version to aim for in terms of using Debian anyway.

As I said, I'd help with Ubuntu if someone else got it booting stably.. but I've poked and prodded at it a good few times and only had any success with Jaunty - which is quite a fair bit old and unsupported now. Ubuntu's also starting to annoy me on my desktop, which may also bias me against it on the Pandora at the moment ;)

I can provide rootstock Ubuntu base images if you want.. of both Lucid and Maverick.. as it only takes about ten minutes for me to build them here.

[edit]
Actually, here you go!
Haven't tested these as I'm about to head off for work, but I've never had any issue with rootstock building minimal installs before so wouldn't expect something to go wrong. I've additionally seeded the linux-image-omap kernel in the hope that maybe they've updated it a bit and it might just boot "out the box" so to speak. One can hope ;)

Lucid - http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid-minimal.tgz - 109MB
Maverick - http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Ubuntu/ubuntu-maverick-minimal.tgz - 108MB
[/edit]

Stuckie said:
Maverick - http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Ubuntu/ubuntu-maverick-minimal.tgz - 108MB
hmmm boots kernel and hangs after it clears the screen... :( - thanks for going to the trouble anyhow...

chris_c said:
hmmm boots kernel and hangs after it clears the screen... :( - thanks for going to the trouble anyhow...

Yep, I thought that, as I couldn't get their ARM install images working either ( though they didn't hang, they just didn't show anything on the screen.. )
You'll need to replace the kernel and modules with the Angstrom one to get any further - but then it'll become unstable later on.. I think the only way we're going to get much further with Ubuntu is if we merge kernel sources together.

Stuckie said:
trevormacro said:

Thanks in advance.

Ndiswrapper doesn't run on ARM architectures I'm afraid.. you'll need to get the builtin wifi working, or use a wifi stick that has native Linux compatibility, with a kernel driver available.

Into the first post of this thread is written : "*** IMPORTANT NOTE *** This is NOT complete, and is more of a proof of concept just now.. it is only marginally usable at the moment due to some bits not quite configured and setup yet. At time of writing, this includes Audio, WiFi, accelerated graphics, as well as the nubs and a full keymap for the Pandora's keyboard.. but it's enough to start with. *** IMPORTANT NOTE ***"

Why wifi and bluetooth isn't working? i have downloaded the tarbll and made it bootable but no wifi and bluetooth is avaiable. I hav copied the modules from angstrom to debian but it has no solved the problems... what have i done of wrong? :)

Back