Debian On An Sd Card

i have just reinstalled ( untarred ) the image but no NetworkManager is presents on the taskbar between the process view and the clock.
I have try to add it from lxde menu clicking righ mouse button onto taskbar so now i have the network manager icon but it has a red stop incon above the two computers and clicking on it is avaiable only the lo interface...
am i alone with this problem?

can you run:

lsmod | grep wl > out.txt

and paste out.txt here (redirected to file as you won't be able to paste directly from your pandora....)

I also didn't have the network manager.
I simply used iwconfig and ifconfig to setup WiFi manually :D

ftfy
EvilDragon said:
I also didn't have to use the network manager.
I simply used iwconfig and ifconfig to setup WiFi manually :D

Last edited by a moderator:
chris_c said:
can you run:

lsmod | grep wl > out.txt

and paste out.txt here (redirected to file as you won't be able to paste directly from your pandora....)

this is the output:

wl1251_sdio 5124 0
wl1251 56544 1 wl1251_sdio
compat_firmware_class 8968 1 wl1251
mac80211 180268 2 wl1251_sdio,wl1251
cfg80211 147348 2 wl1251,mac80211

i tried to start the network manager from the shell typing: nm-applet

Now i have the correct network manager icon but it seems to not scan the wireless network.
How is possible to have different results from the same tarball? What is better to do now? It would be different if I did the installation from scratch using the wiki's guide ? ( http://pandorawiki.org/Debian_On_SD )

I have no idea how it's possible to have different results with the same tarball, on the same hardware, that works for others.. it makes no sense! :S

You would get different results from going through the Wiki guide, but only because I've caught a few more things that I missed out last time; including getting PND support working properly so that they fill out the menus - I'll do another release soon, so maybe that'll help?

Only other thing I can suggest is try a standard Angstrom rootfs bootable SD and see if that has the same issues?

Stuckie said:
I have no idea how it's possible to have different results with the same tarball, on the same hardware, that works for others.. it makes no sense! :S

You would get different results from going through the Wiki guide, but only because I've caught a few more things that I missed out last time; including getting PND support working properly so that they fill out the menus - I'll do another release soon, so maybe that'll help?

Only other thing I can suggest is try a standard Angstrom rootfs bootable SD and see if that has the same issues?

Using angstrom i can use network manager without any problem. It reveals wifi networks after 5 o 10 seconds from activation...
A quick question... Do you have a SD with only one partition in ext2 format or do you have an SD with ext2 plus swap partition ?

All releases will now be on here: http://pandorawiki.org/Debian_On_SD

I've just released 1.0.1 ... this is exactly what the guide on the Wiki shows how to do, and the files can be grabbed from there.
I'll only put new releases on the wiki page now, so I can keep tabs on where all the links are!

Still a few hiccups to deal with:
PNDs don't seem to automatically appear on desktop/menu unless pndnotify is given a manual kicking.
The filebrowser gets littered with old loop mounts for some reason.
Bluetooth is still completely untested.
libts still causes X to chew up process time.

Most PNDs probably still wont run due to library differences.. going to have to figure out a way to sort that one out.

Fixes:
PNDs should actually run properly ( the few that do! like the scripts, etc.. )
PNDs do actually appear where they're supposed to when pndnotify is kicked.
Lots of stuff stripped out; this included synaptic to keep the size down, so you'll need to install that yourself if you want it - see the wiki page for details.

If people are going to use this and want me to continue, I think the next release will be done "properly" IE: Pandora specifics will be in installable debs for ease of maintenance and upgrading alongside mainline.

Stuckie said:
If people are going to use this and want me to continue, I think the next release will be done "properly" IE: Pandora specifics will be in installable debs for ease of maintenance and upgrading alongside mainline.
I s "me" a valid answer ? ;)

I really wonder if you have debian, are pnd's needed? odd's on you're booting from SD so space is not an issue, lots and lots of things are to hand from the repo, the odd pnd there is can easily be ripped apart and manually installed - or compiled from scratch and turned into a .deb...

is me +1 any more valid an answer...

Yea that works.. just wanting to see how much interest there is as I've just been hacking Debian onto the Pandora in a rather vicious way ( as the Wiki page shows! ) whereas doing it properly requires that highly prized and valued commodity - time.

And by properly I mean a set of .debs specifically for all the special bits of Pandora to add in.
So you could add an archive site to your apt sources and pull in the Pandora specifics as and when they get updated.

But there are a couple of hiccups that need sorted first - library support being the biggie as I haven't yet been able to get a PND running under Debian that's not a script. Of the three I tested; SuperTux almost worked after installing SDL and libtiff5 ( whereas libtiff4 is in the Squeeze repository ), but errored about opening a device and died, Gravity Force just plain segfaulted without any further messages, and Frogatto had some funky warnings when copying stuff, required some boost libs that weren't in Squeeze's repository ( there's 1.42 but not 1.41 as was needed ) but still fell on it's arse.

While Debian does have it's gigantic package repository, not supporting PND would be a bad idea as it would start to cause fragmentation. I'd batter anyone who did that to me in having to potentially support two different OS's on the Pandora - PC is bad enough with various Windows flavours and Linux flavours, don't want that on the Pandora as well, so I'd not inflict that on anyone else should I continue this beyond the "dodgy hack" status!

You ha just released 1.01 and i have just installed! :)

]
Coming back to my wifi network problems....
i can reach the network manager icon typing into the terminal : nm-applet & ( & needed to send the task in background )

Using an usb to ethernet adapter i can use the eth0 and network manager seems to be fully working...

So:
Wired Network is connected but Wireless Networks has signed as "device not ready"

I have enabled the wireless from: SystemTools-->Toggle Wifi
The wifi is now enabled, and wlan0 is avaible typing an ifconfig but network manager continues to mark as "device not ready" ....

Looking into syslog it continuosly ( every 2 minutes ) writes:
localhost NetworkManager [2541]: <info> Trying to start the supplicant...

what else can i do to debug this problem? I'm going crazy!

I honestly have no idea what's going on here... the modules match the kernel and seem to work on other Pandoras, so how yours is different baffles me.
I assume dmesg doesn't have anything useful either?

I also find it strange that you have to manually start up network manager... something's obviously misbehaving somewhere, but I can't reproduce it here.
The only thing that was similar which I had was that I got the firmware loading stuff wrong, so dmesg was spitting out that although the Wifi was enabled, it couldn't find it's firmware and gave up - that gave me the network manager "device not ready" error. However, Network Manager still started for me at that point - whereas yours isn't from the outset.

Only thing I can think of is to check dmesg, and ensure the driver loads up properly - including the firmware loading, as I still think that's a bit iffy.

Building debian from scratch using your wiki, the network manager is avaiable! But i'm not be able to turn on the wifi, I do not have to do knowledges...
I'll test better during this week end!
Thank you very very much for your work and support!
Would be possible to conduct a survey on how many people have networkmanager avaiable at startup?
reading the previous posts someone else also seemed to have the same problem...

don't worry its not just you ;) I've had a bunch of problems - I had to rescue the 1.0 version from my rubbish bin - so I could actually get some testing done!

I bet the majority of people don't appreciate what hard work Stickie's been upto and the difficulties involved, I for one am very grateful I'm getting fed up with angstrom... (it hasn't improved in quality since I last used it on a zaurus and that was years ago!)

My main effort is to try and find out what the issue is with the touchscreen causing X to eat all the spare cpu cycles - odd that its still responsive while its going on mind!

Keep up the great work Stucky and don't be discouraged by the rather odd issues with 1.0.1 ....!

Sorry guys, it's not my intention to not appreciate the huge work you are doing. I can only say thank you! I recognize that the work is just beginning and that certainly within a few months we would have our Pandora debianized 100%
I hope I did not have to waste time to you!
:)

no no no! pizzulicchio I wasn't saying you weren't appreciating it! far from it, you're actively using it and trying to find solutions !

Back