Debian On An Sd Card

pizzulicchio said:
Building debian from scratch using your wiki, the network manager is avaiable! But i'm not be able to turn on the wifi, I do not have to do knowledges...
I'll test better during this week end!
Thank you very very much for your work and support!
Would be possible to conduct a survey on how many people have networkmanager avaiable at startup?
reading the previous posts someone else also seemed to have the same problem...

Ahh... I might have an idea with what I've buggered up!
I noticed this last night when I tested bluetooth that it kept the MAC for the bluetooth. Obviously that's device dependent, so I'm wondering if it's done the same with the wifi..

Think I'll have another day's poking at it.. as for not being able to turn Wifi on; if the option isn't there in the menu then try this from command line:
sudo /etc/init.d/wl1251-init start
dmesg
-- wait a bit --
dmesg

Hopefully you should see the wireless start up, request firmware, then boot the firmware and get addressed to phy0.
If you don't, could you let me know where it got up to? :)

As I can't reproduce this, only you and chris_c seem to have managed to catch this problem and be available much for trying to debug this... I will however, redo my setup again incase I missed something - seeing as the first release worked fine for chris_c and the second one doesn't.. so I must've tripped something up!

-edit-
My brain hurts... I'm going through the process again, while using the Debian install on Pandora.. to get a Debian install.. for Pandora..
Reason being, I'm kinda hoping that what got stuffed up was just a permission thing at some point, so by ignoring the mess of the second-stage debootstrap, it might just behave itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
stuckie -- do yo have dbusmonitor in there?

I forget the name of the tool, but libpnd is doing a lame hack to monitor dbus for SD in/out's .. running dbusmonitor and 'grep'ing some certain strings. So if dbusmonitor is missing, or dbus is using different verbiage, it could be missing it. (libpnd uses inotify for directory watching, and dbusmonitor for SD eject/insert monitoring.)

pndnotifyd spits .desktop's and icons into the standard places so shoudl work if lxde is following the spec (which it should if I recall)

Sorry I've not had time to try this .. ask me questions, but not had time to try it until.. monday probably. (working 24-7 of late it seemsa, and got a birthday party for my baby girl on the weekend :)

jeff

Here to you two interesting notes

THE FIRST ONE:

Checking into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules it's present the mac address of Stuckie's pandora ( At least I think that ... ) and an "unknow net device" that is my wifi pandora's network card. ( with its mac address) I have try to adjust the situation using my mac address and reboot but with no success... no working wifi and no network manageer avaible...
It would be helpful if udev would generate the correct values when you start debian for the first time!

THE SECOND ONE:

This is the output of my /var/log/syslog after pressing "system tools" --> "Toggle wifi" ( Do not pay attention to pandora's time that is wrong... i have tos et the clock )

Feb 26 00:05:36 localhost NetworkManager[1052]: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 1 -> 2 (reason 2)
Feb 26 00:05:36 localhost NetworkManager[1052]: <info> (wlan0): bringing up device.
Feb 26 00:05:36 localhost kernel: [ 392.411071] sdio_reset_comm():
Feb 26 00:05:36 localhost kernel: [ 392.438110] wl1251_sdio mmc2:0001:1: firmware: requesting wl1251-fw.bin
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost kernel: [ 393.465789] wl1251: 151 tx blocks at 0x3b788, 35 rx blocks at 0x3a780
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost kernel: [ 393.472473] wl1251: firmware booted (Rev 4.0.4.3.5)
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost kernel: [ 393.496948] phy0: device now idle
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost NetworkManager[1052]: <info> (wlan0): preparing device.
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost NetworkManager[1052]: <info> (wlan0): deactivating device (reason: 2).
Feb 26 00:05:37 localhost NetworkManager[1052]: supplicant_interface_acquire: assertion `mgr_state == NM_SUPPLICANT_MANAGER_STATE_IDLE' failed

Available for further testing! Let me know!

chris_c said:
whats in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf ... out of interest

I don't have this file.
I have a folder in /etc/ named wpa_supplicant with three file inside :
action_wpa.sh
functions.sh
ifupdown.sh

I've had a brief break doing some engine stuff.. so my Pandora is back in Debian fiddling mode.

I wonder if perhaps getting a loan of another Pandora would be worth it for trying to catch hiccups like this... can't quite afford another one myself at the moment.

Think that perhaps the first-boot script on Angstrom does a bit more than I thought, so I'll pull that apart and see what it's doing; along with what's in a stock Angstrom rootfs before and after first-boot is run.

I'm intending to push out a new release (1.0.2) this weekend.. I've been testing it rather extensively for a bit to try and catch everything, and while there are a couple of oddities remaining, but they shouldn't take too long to fix.

Sadly, I haven't been able to get a PND application working.. due to library inconsistencies, mostly.. but a couple seem to segfault for no reason.. so I'm not all that sure how much further to proceed once the WiFi and touchscreen issues have settled. PND support is there and does work, but it's a bit useless if all the Pandora PNDs won't actually run on the system, and Debian's repository is available to you.

... though I've just thought of something dementedly evil.. essentially a reverse OS Extend that pulls Pandora Angstrom on top of Debian... *evil cackle*

Stuckie said:
I'm intending to push out a new release (1.0.2) this weekend.. I've been testing it rather extensively for a bit to try and catch everything, and while there are a couple of oddities remaining, but they shouldn't take too long to fix.

Sadly, I haven't been able to get a PND application working.. due to library inconsistencies, mostly.. but a couple seem to segfault for no reason.. so I'm not all that sure how much further to proceed once the WiFi and touchscreen issues have settled. PND support is there and does work, but it's a bit useless if all the Pandora PNDs won't actually run on the system, and Debian's repository is available to you.

... though I've just thought of something dementedly evil.. essentially a reverse OS Extend that pulls Pandora Angstrom on top of Debian... *evil cackle*

COOL!
I'll test it as you have released! Great work!
( i'm not very interested to PND porting. I'd like to have a fully working debian system instead of a "debianized Angstrom"! :)

If all you're wanting is Debian running under Pandora, I can give you a release pretty quickly actually - I'll just clean up the one I'm currently using :)
Let me know, as I'd rather not "officially release" this one as PND stuff is a bit puggled in places.
I've also got the touchscreen working without using libts - which is different from Angstrom and causes issues with PNDs expecting libts as well... ho hum.. but no X choking.

I've been having a think and it looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do this properly.. so that means compiling all the Pandora specific patched things we have under Debian, and pushing out proper Debian archives and things.. so it's perhaps going to take a bit longer, but will be done _properly_ rather than my current "just wedge it together!" approach :D

Taking a bit longer than expected I'm afraid.. don't worry, it's coming ;)

I've been working on my engine a bit more recently; trying to juggle both projects with equal measures at the moment! I'm late with that too ( should've done a new part of my guide on Saturday, but exhaustion got the better of me... ) so I'm running behind on everything just now.
However, the Event System is finished ( and is pretty damn good, I reckon! ) and I'm just onto the Pandora-specific Input System now, so that'll be done in a couple hours I reckon.

Should have Pandora Debian up tomorrow, perhaps Wednesday at the latest.

What I'm effectively doing just now is running two copies - using one and diffing it against a "clean" setup image to see what changes, in order to catch hiccups like the WiFi thing :)
It takes a bit of time, as I've just the one Pandora, but I'm hoping I've nailed the bugger!
I've also managed to get a handful of PNDs to run after manually grabbing and fiddling with some libraries - so that's good :)
This will be the last release for a while, as the next step is literally properly packaging everything.. and that will take some time as I need to learn how to do that properly first, and sort out the repository details on my server. And again, will need to do this mad two copies thing - one to build the packages, one to install and test, wipe clean, repeat... tis tedious work, I'm afraid.

Slight update.. the thing I had been working on recently ( which was taking the time ) was getting a touchscreen driver working that wouldn't choke X.

Managed that this morning :) ( just as I was about to run out the door... yay for sleeping in )

I'm using the bog-standard evdev driver in X, using xinput_calibrator ( which I had to compile - hence the wait ) to set it up and it's fine!
Don't know if there's any pressure stuff coming through, I've got my Pandora pulling down GIMP just now to test when I get back, then it's pack and release time.. and hopefully, that's everything working and stable so I can start Debianizing it properly; keeping relatively close to mainline seeing as I've managed to get an OE bitbake system going too.

well done!

gimp is most likely borked (2.8.6 defiantly is) check its list of extended drivers - there should be a bunch of them not just TS

I'd love to be helping out but...
:( still waiting for my pandora to come back from its holidays :(

It gets updated as I work on things.. so.. it's updated to the last release, not necessarily to the one I'm working on just now.

However, someone went and "beautified" bits of it, so that's buggered me up a bit as the changes I have overwrite theirs... perhaps one reason I'm not too fond of Wikis.

What you looking for in particular?

Stuckie said:
It gets updated as I work on things.. so.. it's updated to the last release, not necessarily to the one I'm working on just now.

However, someone went and "beautified" bits of it, so that's buggered me up a bit as the changes I have overwrite theirs... perhaps one reason I'm not too fond of Wikis.

What you looking for in particular?

Nothing in particular. I was just hoping that if it had been updated, I could've given a shot at getting to where you are with your installation.

I had thought on updating it as I go along, but then I'd probably get mad requests for help when I update something that doesn't work and borks something... so decided it's probably best to update offline then post the whole lot in one go.

Though literally the only changes so far between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are:
SLIM instead of GDM.
lxde-core instead of a full lxde.
using evdev instead of libts ( though requires building xinput_calibrator and using it to get the values. )

I might just clean up the main image I have just now and release it, which also has gcc et al on it for building stuff ( built the xinput_calibrator with it, for example ) and a bunch of "Pandora Angstrom compatibility" libraries ( IE: versions of boost, tiff, SDL, etc.. ) that allow a few PNDs to run.
-edit-
Actually, it also has synaptic and epiphany ( both! the web browser and the game... cause I got confused as to which one was which *cough* )
There's probably some more stuff in there too...

Still wondering what to do with the changes the other person did... push mine over the top and clobber them, or attempt to merge them together.. I've changed a lot of it myself, though.

Anyone switch to this as their main?

How goes in actual use? Stable or flaky?

This is based on squeeze right?

I've not had time to fire this up, but seems really exciting :) I'm going hunting for 32GB SDHC cards tomorrow..... :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Anyone switch to this as their main?

How goes in actual use? Stable or flaky?

This is based on squeeze right?

I've not had time to fire this up, but seems really exciting :) I'm going hunting for 32GB SDHC cards tomorrow..... :)

jeff
I used it even when the mouse driver was screwing the cpu and it was still stable! I tested it on a 4GB card with plenty of room to spare
When my Pandora gets back off its extended holiday, it'll certainly be my main OS, using OE for developing can be a pain, broken lib sym links
,out of date packages... Squeeze beats it hands down, I'll probably go as far as not bothering with the pnd stuff as I don't really need it....

Back