Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurent said:
MWeston said:
BT doesn't draw enough and even overclocking to 900MHz doesn't pull more than about 710mA. This is just a limitation presented by TI in the datasheet so it could be a recommendation. We shall see.

Did you charge the system when running it at 900 MHz? I mean was the CPU really pushed (using its caches, NEON unit, and so on)? Was the DSP running a program? Was the 3d graphics hardware running?

EDIT: here is an example that at least exercises NEON: http://thrashbarg.mansr.com/~mru/burn.S
For the DSP and 3d, I have nothing yet :)

This is a great idea to create a little program to test the Pandora then when we have our we can see if they can work in all case

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurent said:
Did you charge the system when running it at 900 MHz? I mean was the CPU really pushed (using its caches, NEON unit, and so on)? Was the DSP running a program? Was the 3d graphics hardware running?

EDIT: here is an example that at least exercises NEON: http://thrashbarg.mansr.com/~mru/burn.S
For the DSP and 3d, I have nothing yet :)

No, the goal was to run the system without a battery. The 4030 runs in a different mode when there is a battery attached so that would be something different all together. If I did try charging at 900MHz, more power would go to the system and less to the battery but the net current usage would have been the same since there wasn't software in the kernel to limit the current beyond the maximums defaulted to in the 4030.

I hear from some Beagle users that the processor is harder to overclock once NEON instructions are used. I'm pretty sure the emulators I tried at 900MHz weren't using NEON unless it was automatically built in there with q3-2007.

Thanks for the code. A test like this will be perfect for someone like Squidge to try if he is interested. I think he likes torturing himself with the low level assembly stuff. :p

Hi guys, sorry for the my first post to come back on the "color" subject of the plastic case.

I believe I have a pretty good argument to make the color BLACK.

Have you ever tried to compare a black and white PSP at the same time ?
The screen LOOKS BRIGHTER with a black border surrounding it, it is the way that our eyes perceive and integrate luminosity. Physically the luminosity is of course the same, but the PERCEPTION is different.

Anyway just my 2 cent, but I believe it is a valid argument.

paddy said:
i dont like the design at all now - prefered it when it didnt look very much like a nintendo DS also the curves vere something i was all for
Paddy

Actually it looks LESS like a DS now. A DS lite is boxy with small radii on the corners. The original CAD Pandora design was just like that, boxy with small radii on the corners, EXACTLY like a DS lite. It is LESS DS-y now I am not sure why people are complaining that it now looks too much like a DS lite when actually it looked more like a DS before :blink: Actually looking at it, the lid looks more like the back of an iPhone 3G.

laxer3a said:
Hi guys, sorry for the my first post to come back on the "color" subject of the plastic case.

The screen LOOKS BRIGHTER with a black border surrounding it, it is the way that our eyes perceive and integrate luminosity. Physically the luminosity is of course the same, but the PERCEPTION is different.

Actually it is a bit more than just perception. White will reflect ambient light back into your eyes more so it is actually kind of distracting too. You just want to see the image, not the border.

The good news is I am pretty sure it will be black.

laxer3a said:

It is positively, without a single doubt BLACK. Please read more than just looking at the pictures.

jakewastaken said:
laxer3a said:

It is positively, without a single doubt BLACK. Please read more than just looking at the pictures.

craigix said:
Just want to make it clear the Pandora is still black.
:)

craigix said:
On that note I'm pleased to say next weekend we will be building the first fully working Pandora with controls and keyboard and
making some videos of it for you to see - this does not mean the work is finished - there is bound to be something which needs
adjusting, but it is a major near final milestone.

is someone gona tell me that "next" meant not the coming weekend but the weekend after that, or are we due some video's any minute now as promised?

They never said the video would be ready today, just that they would assemble the Pandora. They might've run into last minute issues that need to be corrected before making the videos or merely have more useful things to do then make videos.

Some people did think it meant the following weekend, but who knows. Hey, we've got some gmenu vids to tide us over for a little while ;)

Brockway said:
The white PSP slim is far superior to the black.
Matte black is far superior to glossy black/white. No fingerprints and no dirt.

DaveC said:
Actually it is a bit more than just perception. White will reflect ambient light back into your eyes more so it is actually kind of distracting too. You just want to see the image, not the border.

The good news is I am pretty sure it will be black.

It's not nearly as distracting as you think. I have a white PSP (which is proper white - not the cream colour seen in the latest P mockup) and it isn't distracting at all, in light or dark. I' find Im more interested in what's going on in the screen myself :)

Iorgy77 said:
Matte black wears out unevenly and becomes shiny in parts and then just looks cheap. Gloss black is much nicer imo. Give me showroom shine any day. ;)

Gloss black is also a fingerprint magnet. I like matte better, can't see fingerprints nearly as much. And all the devices I've got which are matte black haven't worn out more in some places than others, they all look very nice thankyou.

Matte black (or white) FTW!

White gadgets either remind me of Essex girl's white stiletto shoes or ipod wannabes...

I like world worn, well travelled looking devices. Matt black is perfect :)

The forums are buzzing at the moment, I wonder if we will see those pics,vids anytime soon...?

I had a white DS lite... I didn't like how it was so easy to stain, I took the perfect opportunity to get it replaced at best buy when the charging mechanism in it mysteriously broke(I didn't do anything to it), and they were out of stock with white ones.
I prefer piano black gloss any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back