Little Update

thx for the update, I'm sure you know what this project means for all of us, and even more important, what it's gonna give you guys :)

Tor said:
If the wi-fi antenna design isn't finished yet (as was indicated in another thread), then I would prefer a delay to get it 100% right.. :D The Nokia N800 has an amazing wi-fi sensitivity and I would like the Pandora to be the same - it makes the device so much more useful when on the move.
yes, this is crucial for other-than-gp2x-scene public, having a nice wifi range

Last edited by a moderator:
TaG said:
Masses: Give us an update.

Its easy to forget that around 3000 (I'm assuming most people only bought 1 unit) pre-ordered. The 'masses' are in fact sitting quiet and enjoying the ride. Its only a (admittedly vocal) few who are spitting dummies.

Craigix - good luck with the old bank and hope they start doing as they are meant to... I guess that as you are leaving them they are rather slower on the refunds than should be. But I'm sure they will get there and most of us are understanding of the problems.

Ah -

I can honestly say that update really helps....I am glad you are starting to get more normal sleep....Sleep deprivation due to stress can be horrific.....strange ways it can manifest in your body.....but, godspeed Craig! We await!

OK, not to mutch news but i really like it that you keep us updatet

I also like to say thank you for the small update. I like to hear you don`t sacrifice quality regaring the LCD.
And Its really great to get twice as much RAM! :)

I'm not going to be one of the ones who complains about an update... Thanks for updating us with whatever you have or can! Very impressed with the LCD decision and the RAM upgrade. Can't wait to see the assembled controls!

I really appreciate the update (a little reassurance from the main man goes a long way) and am glad to hear it's all moving along. I'm still really hyped about the Pandora and it can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned but I'll take it right over fast any day.

andyB911 said:
TaG said:
Masses: Give us an update.

Its easy to forget that around 3000 (I'm assuming most people only bought 1 unit) pre-ordered. The 'masses' are in fact sitting quiet and enjoying the ride. Its only a (admittedly vocal) few who are spitting dummies.Agreed - masses was perhaps the wrong word, but I was trying to be polite and could not think os another word... ;)

No I guess there wasn't much news, but that is what Chip etc have been saying and it does seem a fair update. Some people want updates even when there is little to say.

it's nice to see some update, but i'm wondering if craigix did actual effort not to mention any numbers or other things that might actually be interesting...
it was a nice way of saying nothing though...

yeah, we know about the lcd problems, how about saying about how much lcd's you already got, and at what rate they're arriving?

same for other things, give some rough numbers so we can also get a view on the current situation ^^

andyB911 said:
Its easy to forget that around 3000 (I'm assuming most people only bought 1 unit) pre-ordered. The 'masses' are in fact sitting quiet and enjoying the ride. Its only a (admittedly vocal) few who are spitting dummies.
Thats a silly comparison. I remember not to long ago, that people where noting that how few people are registered on the forum in comparisons with the amount of preorders.

On this forum, there is a only a select base active of people who pre-ordered. Whats to say that most people don't directly mail Craigex? Do most people who ordered even know this board? We don't have any stats to support the idea that all the preorder people are actually here...

I for one find it good, that there is finally a scrap of information, how little it is, there is at leased some official information. Better then all the weeks of second hand information, and speculation.

The reason that some people complained that there is "no news" is because Craigex hardly ever gives detailed information. And i'm willing to bet, thats why there response was like that.

re. silent majority:

Not all of us feel the need to post. Just happy to lurk and enjoy the ride.

Nothing the guys have said has worried me, they are just trying to manage a very complex project with limited resources and difficult suppliers - all in a very short timeframe.

It'll be ready when it's ready. Much rather wait an extra few weeks for a quality device. If there really isn't any 'interesting' news, I'd rather they kept working than stopping to tell us that there is no news.

Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree. I read a comment on another board from someone who is not involved in this project in any way (he is not a developer and did not preorder the Pandora) and he wrote that getting software to work properly usually takes much longer than is assumed in the beginning. He thinks that the developers have not finished the software for the Pandora yet and have no clue when it will be. So instead of saying, well, you know this isn't working yet, they just sell the delay in a more attractive way by using the pretext of having to wait for top quality screens. This is easier to swallow for the people he preorderd. He thinks that there are enough parts available but the software is what keeps them from releasing the handheld. Now, considering the fact that there is never a concrete time line and numbers mentioned, I am beginning to think he may be right. The Whiz is also delayed because the software was buggy and GPH is much more experienced in these matters. So instead of asking about the number of available LCDs we should concentrade on videos of the finshed software.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree. I read a comment on another board from someone who is not involved in this project in any way (he is not a developer and did not preorder the Pandora) and he wrote that getting software to work properly usually takes much longer than is assumed in the beginning. He thinks that the developers have not finished the software for the Pandora yet and have no clue when it will be. So instead of saying, well, you know this isn't working yet, they just sell the delay in a more attractive way by using the pretext of having to wait for top quality screens. This is easier to swallow for the people he preorderd. He thinks that there are enough parts available but the software is what keeps them from releasing the handheld. Now, considering the fact that there is never a concrete time line and numbers mentioned, I am beginning to think he may be right. The Whiz is also delayed because the software was buggy and GPH is much more experienced in these matters. So instead of asking about the number of available LCDs we should concentrade on videos of the finshed software.
All they need to do really is:

A: Make sure the core drivers are in place, maybe with one or two apps
B Make an easy automatic update system to improve the software as they go along.

Provided they can do this, there's nothing more they need to do.

I honestly don't think the dev team would lie to the community like that... They'd probably rather give users the option to buy assembled units w/o the finished OS, as long as the BIOS is working right.
Besides, why would they take the risk of having somebody find out the truth and thus loosing all credibility? There's really no reason to, imho

Seriously, what a nonsense. We know that the software will be beta or even alpha state, when Pandora is delivered. That's part of then fun ;)
Let's just paste some former discussions here, that would be equally useful :rolleyes:

mali said:
Seriously, what a nonsense. We know that the software will be beta or even alpha state, when Pandora is delivered. That's part of then fun ;)
Let's just paste some former discussions here, that would be equally useful :rolleyes:

It's easy to tell that this isn't the case - or it will be once the Pandoras start shipping, given that they'll be shipped out in the same pattern as the LCDs are received...

Back