Del Doesn't Work

john4p

The keyboard of my Pandora works perfect except for the backspace-key. Well, backspace works but Shift+Backspace doesn't work as DELETE and Fn+Backspace doesn't seem to work as INSERT.

I assume this is a general issue every Pandora has. Is there a fix for this (having DELETE on the keyboard makes deleting files in the filemanager more comfortable)?

john4p said:
The keyboard of my Pandora works perfect except for the backspace-key. Well, backspace works but Shift+Backspace doesn't work as DELETE and Fn+Backspace doesn't seem to work as INSERT.

I assume this is a general issue every Pandora has. Is there a fix for this (having DELETE on the keyboard makes deleting files in the filemanager more comfortable)?

Hmmmm, crap, I guess this is related to having mapped SHIFT to moving windows...
I guess we need to change that one back to a different button.

You can change the key to move the windows in some XFCE4-Settings (I guess it's Window Manager or something like that).
Try to change it back to ALT to see if it helps :)

Last edited:
The more you deviate from "regular" keyboard layouts, the more such issues will crop up. Most software makes quite some assumptions about the layout of a keyboard.
I hate to say I told you so, but I did ;)

I'm gonna shut up now...

For my port of the Oricutron emulator, for example, I have noticed that the key layout of the Pandora is pretty crap and it seems only half of the keyboard returns standard key codes, the other half is some sort of custom thing I don't quite understand properly yet .. standard SDL apps don't get the " (double-quote) character, for example .. I don't know why yet .. but it seems like really a bit of a nuisance to have non-standard key codes being returned .. some keys are standard, others are weird, to say the least ..

Plus ,i must say that right nub as mouse buttons is rather strange ,why not the shoulder buttons as they do next to nothing and the right nub is too fiddily and sensitive ,also the main pandora buttons start/select don't really do anything and could be mapped to file browser or something ,right nub should be scroll ,shoulder should be mouse buttons ,dpad should be ohh well you get the idea but better still is allowing people to just do this them self's so they can have it their way through a simple gui setup much like the nub settings gui.

Not knocking you at all Ed as you have done wonders with the OS and your tastes can't be everyone's but mapping should be made as easy as possible in the future ,also we need a fix for the bin on nand as quickly as possible and we also really need usb support via windows when plugged in so we can transfer files and so on without removing the sd all the time ,i mean i am not tooo bothered as i am only using a 4gb card but if i was using an expensive 16gb or higher card then i would be really pissed off at the major possibility of damage to my sd card ,especialy when linux in general has broken quite a few of my cards via a card reader in the past.

And finaly we really do need opengl hardware support ,emulators are really suffering becase of this with no scaling and a real hit to performance ,i hope these top three issues are fixed before quickly porting and making available more emulators becase they are well in my opinion useless at the moment ,at the end of the day the pandora SHOULD be running these emulators much better and it's making the pandora look bad.

ps ,pico and snes emus are pretty dam good though ! and when i say useless i mean i won't play/use them becase theres no full screen ,sound is bad in some cases ,speed is really bad in some cases ,controls could be working much better in some cases.

Can someone explain how the emulators shown in videos months ago like psx/n64 and snes were running much better than they do now ? i know some of these are fresh ports but what about n64/psx ? not running as good as the videos from months ago.

paddy said:
Can someone explain how the emulators shown in videos months ago like psx/n64 and snes were running much better than they do now ? i know some of these are fresh ports but what about n64/psx ? not running as good as the videos from months ago.

Different firmware and kernel version back then. Linux is funny like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought we were still on the old firmware and we were going to be moving to the new firmware with graphics hardware support soon ? and as i remember it psx and n64 didn't have hardware support but then n64 did get nanogl support correct me if i am wrong as i am not exactly sure.

And i am all for betatesting but mabe closed beta's would be better and for beta testing psx with that quarter size display i really did find it hard to see the graphics bugs but there were some in ridge racer revolution on the trees and backgrounds but i can't explain them unless i get out the magnify glass ,not the best way to bug test for the author ,i get the feeling some of the authors really do not wish to release their stuff as it's just not ready in any state but are they kind of forced ? becase soo many just must see psx emulation ,i really enjoy playing n64 on pandora and to be honest it's still in a good form right now and i could easily bug test it but psx is another story ,the devs need time and peace from all us to get their work done in their own time without pressure.

Well, PSX used a 3D Plugin by Tinnus, but he lost the code due to a harddrive crash so we're a bit behind.
SNES didn't run better and N64 also didn't run better, Mario isn't as demanding as Zelda :)

But non of those use any of our acceleration features (NEON, DSP, etc.) yet. Except for N64 OpenGL. Biggest issue for N64 is the sound, and that hasn't been optimized yet.

Hi Ed ,can i request one added feature with your OS update ,would it be possible to add in a screensaver ? glscreensaver or xscreensaver ,if there is a performance hit without the driver just install one or two of the less demanding savers like picture screensaver or my fav stars screensaver ,just one or two savers would be tops and keep the file size down.

Ohh ,i tested gimp from a pnd someone made on the forum but i get errors when i open it and can't draw on anything ,could we have gimp ,and the pdf viewer built in to the OS firmware as it rocks and a big thanks for letting me try it out.

pretty please with sugar on top my friend !

Screensavers will be available through the appstore for $2.99 each, soon. hehe

$2.99 too cheap man i would pay £25 per saver ! :rolleyes:

gimp pnd is here ,if anyone knows how to get it working please let me know ,i put it in sd/pandora/menu and after i load it up i get errors that gimp can't open files or write files

creating folder /home/paddy.gimp-2.6..
cannot create folder /home/paddy/.gimp-2.6.. file exists

this is now the new eror i get as i tried to run the pnd from nand.

I would rather install gimp to nand via the methods Ed had told me in the terminal but i can't get it to install after it is downloaded ,permision denied errors.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54071-ubuntu-or-other-dist-alternative/

Wouldn't it be better to just turn of the screen such that you also preserve power?

Caine said:
Wouldn't it be better to just turn of the screen such that you also preserve power?

I do this but the screen is still powered on with the backlight ,i also tried to use the power off screen after a few minutes but still the backlight is still on so it may as well be displaying a nice stars in space screensaver ,but in anycase i just want a screensaver as it would be cool.

I am pretty sure the usual screensavers burn 100% CPU so you really do not want to run them.

paddy said:
$2.99 too cheap man i would pay £25 per saver ! :rolleyes:

gimp pnd is here ,if anyone knows how to get it working please let me know ,i put it in sd/pandora/menu and after i load it up i get errors that gimp can't open files or write files

creating folder /home/paddy.gimp-2.6..
cannot create folder /home/paddy/.gimp-2.6.. file exists

this is now the new eror i get as i tried to run the pnd from nand.

I would rather install gimp to nand via the methods Ed had told me in the terminal but i can't get it to install after it is downloaded ,permision denied errors.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54071-ubuntu-or-other-dist-alternative/

Delete the folder '.gimp2.6 etc.' from your home folder. It's hidden, so enable show hidden files from the menu in Thunar.

I had this problem too.

If you want to turn the screen backlight off, add the backlight applet on your XFCE bar and put it all the way down.

Just use the brightness keys to put it back on again.

You can set the brightness from the console too (I made some scripts to reduce this to short commands) but you need to use Sudo. Once I find out how to do it without needing privileges I'll put up some presets in PND form (same for cpu clock speed).

SomeGuy99 said:
You can set the brightness from the console too (I made some scripts to reduce this to short commands) but you need to use Sudo. Once I find out how to do it without needing privileges I'll put up some presets in PND form (same for cpu clock speed).

In a bootup-script, change the group of the relevant file(s) in /sys to wheel (chown :wheel /sys/something) (or some other group you're in, you can check with groups), and give the group write-rights (chmod g+w /sys/something)

EvilDragon said:
john4p said:

Hmmmm, crap, I guess this is related to having mapped SHIFT to moving windows...
I guess we need to change that one back to a different button.

You can change the key to move the windows in some XFCE4-Settings (I guess it's Window Manager or something like that).
Try to change it back to ALT to see if it helps :)
Thanks - that setting is in "Window Manager Tweaks"->Accessibility.
Changed it to ALT and can now move windows holding ALT - but that didn't fix the problem. DEL still doesn't work.
Must be some other setting overriding this. Well, it's not like "ohnoes I can't live without the del-key". ;)
Would be just nice to have.

EvilDragon said:
But non of those use any of our acceleration features (NEON, DSP, etc.) yet. Except for N64 OpenGL ES 2.0 and NEON. Biggest issue for N64 is the sound, and that hasn't been optimized yet graphics plugin, which has been optimized but still does way too many drawcalls *Editors-note: imo and afaik*.

Back