Dell Mini 10V

riosingh

Website
Visit site
well on the dell website the windows one is 229, and the ubuntu one is 199 but the ubunu one has no hard drive, and if you want a hard drive its an extra £50. What a rip off, so the same spec net book without windows is £20 more.
Where can I get the best deal on a atom based netbook without windows?

A windows refund might be an option:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=427347

Don't even try the Windows Refund. Yeah, I don't know how anyone could think this isn't a scam to make you buy windows. Even if you don't use it it gives Micorsoft numbers to throw at companies to make them buy Windows.

If you don't feel it's a moral obligation to avoid buying a computer without windows get the Windows one and install Ubuntu. If you just don't want to give Microsoft sales figures then buy the Ubuntu one and buy you HD from someone other than Dell.

What size of HD does the Mini 10V use? Still a special drive or just a notebook drive? If it's just a notebook drive then I'm sure you can either use one you already have to find a really good deal on one elsewhere.

Funny thing is 1/3 of all those netbooks Dell sales are Ubuntu even with them pulling this crap. You think they would stand up to Microsoft and tell them they'll sell the same version that they do with Windows with Ubuntu just for less cash or the same price and see which one sells more with an even playing field because even without an even playing field Linux is doing pretty well.

I went ahead and bought the windows one, I couldn't really give a monkeys about the morality of it.
It's just I thought it was a bit of a scam, and I payed the extra 30 for the hard drive, and to have it covered in the waranty.
But there is a part of me that still feels slightly ripped off.
The hard drive is a
160GB (5,400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

While the ubuntu version has a 8gb solid state.

Maybe I should of ordered the ubuntu version and put the money towards and external 1TB, there was a really nice small one for sale on memorybits a few months back for about £65(there probably even cheaper now), but hey-ho the moneys spent now.

And I know the windows refund doesn’t really work in this country, I've read that before.

I'm having a similar dilemma with getting a small desktop to use as a server.
I really wanted the System76 Meerkat, but a store near me has an Acer Something with slightly better specs for like $100 less.

I'll be contributing to the alleged market share of Windows XP, but... It's SO much cheaper. I wonder if there isn't some way to buy it, pave the hard drive, then yell at Microsoft? It seems like the kind of thing that would have a website, like "iboughtwindowsanddeletedit.com" or something.

riosingh said:
I went ahead and bought the windows one, I couldn't really give a monkeys about the morality of it.
It's just I thought it was a bit of a scam, and I payed the extra 30 for the hard drive, and to have it covered in the waranty.
But there is a part of me that still feels slightly ripped off.
The hard drive is a
160GB (5,400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

While the ubuntu version has a 8gb solid state.

Maybe I should of ordered the ubuntu version and put the money towards and external 1TB, there was a really nice small one for sale on memorybits a few months back for about £65(there probably even cheaper now), but hey-ho the moneys spent now.

And I know the windows refund doesn’t really work in this country, I've read that before.
Yeah, when you consider how well Open Source is doing when companies pull stuff like this its just amazing. I guess Microsoft can't exist on an even playing field with Linux or they would just go out of business. It's normal business I guess, do everything you need to to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
riosingh said:
well on the dell website the windows one is 229, and the ubuntu one is 199 but the ubunu one has no hard drive, and if you want a hard drive its an extra £50. What a rip off, so the same spec net book without windows is £20 more.
Where can I get the best deal on a atom based netbook without windows?

The 10V N270 (cheapest) is here (Belgium dell site) 279 *Euro* with "XP home"... they even don't offer a Ubuntu (or other linux) choise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back