Designing The Gp2x's Successor - Hardware Selection Poll

Select one:

• Option 1: ARM926EJ-S 266 MHz Processor, Floating Point/Vector Coprocessor, 2D/3D Accelerator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2: ARM920T 400 MHz Processor, No FPU/Vector Unit or Graphics Accelerators

• Option 3: These are both inadequate (post alternative)

• Total voters

JaqMs posted on Aug 20 2006 at 11:48 PM said:
Oh, simple. Perhaps there could be attached finger styluses, which you put around your thumb (like a circular strap with a stylus point sticking out, not the ones that point directly outwards from your finger). I guess the only really necessary buttons would be the shoulder buttons.
Way too complicated and too slow for gaming. I wouldn't buy any gaming handheld that didn't have real buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Aug 20 2006 at 10:38 PM said:
They display in a window or use a filter to skew it to fullscreen. But most consoles use a 4:3 aspect ratio and so do VGA-compliant monitors and LCD panels unless you pick some peculiar model with widescreen native resolution. In fact, an LCD monitor just has 1 resolution, e.g. mine is 1280x1024. If I use anything else I get a blurry picture as it has to scale and skew it to the new one and filter it.

Personally, I think 2xSai and Eagle look disgusting, they ruin the original graphical style of the games for me. I'd never want to use them on a handheld, that's for sure.

DaveC said:
That would be unacceptable to me on a gaming device. I would have a dead or low battery after a week of nonuse? see above post, that would be a pain in the ass. I will stick with a device that is always truly OFF thank you.

This happens to my NiMH batteries anyway, and it doesn't really bother me very much.
Ah, thanks. Same thing with my LCD, resolution goes from 800x600 to 2048x1536, but 1280x1024 is the only resolution that doesn't turn up blurry.

JaqMs, I personally believe that would be a really annoying way to play and I would not buy any gaming device which used that instead of buttons.

Yono posted on Aug 21 2006 at 01:44 AM said:
Ah, thanks. Same thing with my LCD, resolution goes from 800x600 to 2048x1536, but 1280x1024 is the only resolution that doesn't turn up blurry.
On your LCD? Yeah, of course, they're made up of individual RGB segments, not an electron gun pointing onto an aperture grille. You have to remember, some people still lack LCDs :)

Ok I got it! If you don't know about my idea, read my previous posts.

Stay with my touch screen controls/finger stylus idea, but add this design to them (quick job and pretty bad design on my part, but it gets the point across):

stylusat5.png

The red part would be a small spring-operated stylus stick so every time you you press down with your thumb the tip comes in contact with the touch screen. The tip could be flatter than pictured in my design so that the stylus does not lose balance. Here are some advantages to my method vision:

1. How well the controls register is simply up to how well it is programmed.

2. The amount of buttons (4 for NES, 5 for MD, etc) and type of control stick (digital, analog) can be changed to suit an emulator/game/program.

3. Chores such as text input and mouse control would be eliminated.

4. It would be easier to support vertical-based games (games that require you to turn the handheld 90 degrees).

5. 2 player on one handheld would become a possibility.

Of course, this would only be a possibility in the near-future if touch screen technology improves much more. But anyway, this is how a future handheld should be. Remember, every new piece of technology should be forward-looking, meaning it should be something that seems like it would never exist in the past.

If there is a company that can afford to design something so revolutionary it's not Gamepark. Either way, I could never tolerate a control system like that. It's much too abstract.

I might be able to manage it. But not how touchscreens are at the moment.

In any event, I'd just like to take this oportunity to request, over and above a d-pad, a proper *joystick*, possibly of the clicky variety. Every d-pad I've ever used has had my thump acheing after about half an hour! They're unpleasant control schemes, and apart from accuracy in fighting games compared to analogue sticks, I don't see why they're so popular.

What would be *ideal* in my opinion (apart from the clickyness, but that's life) would be to contact SNK as were and see if you can get the schematic for the NGPC joystick. That stick is without doubt the nicest directional input I've ever used barring a keyboard on a computer - and that would most certainly be sufficient for fighting games.

The only thing I didn't like about it - or more accurately, didn't like about it when playing in quiet environments - was clickyness, and I suspect that could be changed by using a different form of microswitch.

Lessons to learn for Joysticks, though, are:
- Short stick length and tight-packed microswitches are good - you get a direction fast with minimal movement of the thumb.
- Tactile response - need a little effort to move the joystick, get a click feel on hitting direction (dubious as to whether the second in good or not)
- 4 microswitches are enough, used right

I'd also like to register my vehement hatred of LiIon batteries, for one more reason not yet stated: Price. Not only are proprietary batteries harder to get, they're also not competitively priced when they go wrong. My laptop battery's knackered, and I've to pay £70 for a new one; mobile phone batteries aren't quite that pricey (around £10) but the mAh rating they pack is typically pathetic (600 or so), albeit at a higher voltage. PDA batteries, though, are back up there - $40 or so seems about standard. I do not qish to spend that much on a new battery (assuming I can even find one) when my old one dies!

I'd be willing to accept the possibile bonuses of using a LiIon backup battery - such that when it was switched to, a light flicked on to tell you you had about half an hour of ontime left - but beyond that, no. And I can't really see that being done because of the whole continuous usage thing.

Anyway... controllers and batteries... done

Batteries are so...25 years ago (guess what I'm referring to). No longer is it attractive to carry a massive-sized handheld due to the battery compartment. Nowadays the design of choice in entertainment electronics is small and flat, similar to the DS Lite closed, Ipod, and Razr-like phones. Remember, design is a crucial aspect in handhelds these days, especially for GP2X's successor. IN MY OPINION if someone was shown a GP2X and an XGP without knowing the specs, the person would most likely choose the XGP, simply because its design is very sleek.

Nope, I would ask for specs. If you wouldn't you are a n00b.

Seriously, my new computer looks like shit, but I'd rather have this than a Mac Mini.
I don't care if some n00b in the street thinks it's a brick.
It's a brick that can do portable playstation better than their playstation portable.
I don't own an iPod/Razr, I might buy a DS lite, but that's because it has good games.
Also, if the DS lite was only a smaller DS, I would buy a standard DS.
(It obviously has more than size on it's side though)

A little more ontopic, I like the way the XGP is shaping up.
The minimum specs I expect are:
*96MB+ RAM
*266Mhz+ CPU
*FPU
*OpenGL Chip
*Clock
*Powered host USB
*Hardware volume control

And it looks like all this is fufilled by the Samsung chip.

I would like:
*640x480 screen
*Touchscreen
*Wi-Fi
*Many buttons

Yes wifi would definitely be nice, since I run XP 64-bit and there are no drivers for RNDIS, so my GP2X cannot use the internet or get on my network...

If this is not going to be released for another 3-4 years wont all the hardware you listed be old and outdated by then

Craig made it sound more like 1-2 years. Outdated .. it's not like we're trying to run modern software on these machines, they aren't aging in the same way, say, Laptop technology does. We're mostly running games from 1996 and back, and original content that doesn't evolve at the same rate as the rest of the industry.

Then what's going to make it any different from the GP2X in terms of software?

iignotus posted on Aug 21 2006 at 02:20 AM said:
If we had a 640 x 480 3.5" screen and doubled the pixels for a 320 x 240 image the (4) 640 x 480 sized pixels would be NO blockier than a single pixel on a 320 x 240 3.5" screen.

What? Of course it would be blockier. That's the whole point. It would be four times blockier. Look at my images, if you haven't.

2:1 on a 640 x 480 screen would be the SAME as 1:1 on a 320 x 240 screen of the same size. It would not be 4X blockier as the pixels are 4X SMALLER on a 640 x 480 screen.. duh ;)

I don't really think this topic leads anywhere, but here are my rumbling ideas for a successor of the Gp2x:

1. Maybe is is possible to design a stick that acts both as a digital and a analog stick?
Like turn on a ring around the stick to make the useage radius smaller while (mechanically? and) by software switching to didital mode?
Na probably not a good idea since it will suck for both, but having two sticks like the PSP is equally flawed :(
Make it a normal d-pad then :-/

2. Power should come from either 2AAs as usual, or even better one of those new fuelcells you can just dump in some methanol/ethanol/wodka ;) Should be as roboust and future proof as possible... I want to play my GP3X somewhere in the middle of the jungle on self burned fruit alcohole damn it!!! But yeah AAs are fine :)

3. A touchscreen (640x480) with a normal stylus (and a place to put it inside of the case) and a tilt sensor would be definitly a nice plus.

4. Standard OpenGL compatibility is a must for the next version!

A screen with a resolution as high as 640x480 would certainly increase the volume of the GP3X as a whole. I find the current system to have the ideal proportions, why mess with success?

- Alex

You can still have a screen that has a physical size of 320x240 but a resolution of 640x480, it's just really expensive.

JaqMs posted on Aug 21 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
You can still have a screen that has a physical size of 320x240 but a resolution of 640x480, it's just really expensive.

In 2-3 years it probably will not be expensive anylonger.

Back