Dev Addons?

_DiGiTaL_

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Probably a dumb question but is there any type of development addon needed for Pandora? For various development or unbricking reasons. Like the GP2x has the BoB some people used it frequently others used it for just unbricking im sure.

you can't brick the pandora period it will always at the very least be able to boot from SD card even if the internal nand goes bad

currently development is done by cross compiling in linux, on an X86 desktop, also there may be other distros that will be ported to the pandora (but probably not at first) pandora runs the same or very similar kernel as the beagle board

check the wiki for more info

Thanx for the info just wasn't aware of the nonbrickable portion of the unit sounds really nice.
Also do you know if there is a list somewhere of the resellers that will be selling the Pandora? Currently the only site im aware of is gp2x.co.uk

I think there will be Jtag and Serial for debugging/programming purposes.

I don't know what sort of "addon" would use that, but I expect it will be a simple breakout that provides a standard Jtag header (10-pin?), and possibly a level converter that allows you to connect the serial to a PC standard RS-232 DB-9

I thought the jtag header was not exposed via a port, and was only available as pads on the pcb? Therefore requiring you to disassemble the device to get access to them.

Serial though, yes, that has been said to be available externally.

Squidge said:
I thought the jtag header was not exposed via a port, and was only available as pads on the pcb? Therefore requiring you to disassemble the device to get access to them.

Serial though, yes, that has been said to be available externally.
Well, there appear to be 14 pins available, and stereo/S-video will come out of it, that leaves 9 pins with only serial/jtag to come out (power?).

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=634353

MWeston said:
Squidge said:
We need to summon Michael and see which he has put on the board.
DSC00733.jpg

------------------ USB OTG (mini-AB) ------------------------------------------------------- AV connector

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine day-to-day application development will be done by most people using USB networking like on the pre-F200 GP2Xs.

I'm finding developing using an SD card and the serial port pretty painless to be honest. Cards are automounted, so it only takes a second or two to click the card into the Pandora and kick off whatever program I'm working on from the terminal (usually just by pressing up-arrow and return).

Firefox said:
I imagine day-to-day application development will be done by most people using USB networking like on the pre-F200 GP2Xs.

I'm finding developing using an SD card and the serial port pretty painless to be honest. Cards are automounted, so it only takes a second or two to click the card into the Pandora and kick off whatever program I'm working on from the terminal (usually just by pressing up-arrow and return).
Is there a USB network on the OMAP? I am not sure about that, I don't think they sprung for extra expensive chips like that.

couldn't it be done wifi/Bluetoooth as well as Serial?

Oh, I see you are speaking of loading the program over to the device, not just debugging.

nubie said:
Is there a USB network on the OMAP? I am not sure about that, I don't think they sprung for extra expensive chips like that.

Hmmm, I thought USB networking was planned, but now I'm not so sure... Better not take that as gospel.

Anyway, as you point out we'll have wifi! Which is betterer. I rather like the idea of completely untethered dev'ing. B)

nubie said:

chips? USB Networking is a software driver. All it needs is a USB client port, which it has.

You should be able to ssh and create nfs shares over wifi too.

Back