Caanoo / WIZ Developing On The Wiz Itself?

CCmachined

The main reason I want a Pandora is as a mobile development machine.

Can this be done on the Wiz via an onscreen touch keyboard? Not that I have one, but I may get one...

I'm mostly interested in GL|ES and SDL with C++ and maybe a little Java since we're learning that at the moment in college. Surely the latter would be possible? :)

Both are possible, but I think G++ is a little greedy in regards to memory consumption, so Java is probably better. What you'll need is an onscreen keyboard, command line and a decent editor. The first two have already been done on the 2X, so shouldn't take long to port to the Wiz if they have not been already.

Squidge said:
Both are possible, but I think G++ is a little greedy in regards to memory consumption, so Java is probably better. What you'll need is an onscreen keyboard, command line and a decent editor. The first two have already been done on the 2X, so shouldn't take long to port to the Wiz if they have not been already.

Thanks, are the JVM and JDK running on the Wiz at the moment in a usable form? Could one create Java GUIs or is that a bit advanced for the moment?

Last edited by a moderator:
CC_machine said:
The main reason I want a Pandora is as a mobile development machine.

Can this be done on the Wiz via an onscreen touch keyboard? Not that I have one, but I may get one...

I'm mostly interested in GL|ES and SDL with C++ and maybe a little Java since we're learning that at the moment in college. Surely the latter would be possible? :)

maybe you should just buy a laptop man :) I'm sure you can find one far more powerful than the Pandora at a possible lower price quite easily on ebay, first hand stuff aren't that expensive too, and there's nothing better as "portable development machine"

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us be frank -- _coding_ using touchscreen (be it tap to type or Grafitti or someshit) is seriously unpleasant. ie: Like any form of writing, the writing itself must be passive and painless, so you can get to the work at hand.. the _content_. If you're spending 3/4 of your time tap-typing rather than coding, its not going to work :)

(IMHO of course, from someone whose been doing mobile dev since theres been mobiles :)

jeff

It would be far better to get a GP2X, a cradle, and a USB keyboard.

That said, however, the available terminals for the GP2X are a bit lacking. They are poorly coded (I've looked) so the speed is abysmal. With a solid week or two of programming work it would be possible to make them decently usable.

Without a real keyboard, forget it though.

Using a 8.9" netbook is already pretty irritating (10" models are fine though).

Typing with a touchpad is 100% pure pain. Even with a big touchscreen which allows you to use a full size keyboard it's very very painful and goddamn slow.

Back