GP32 Development cycle

creepy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I'm just starting to develop for the GP32 so I wondered how you guys test your games.. When I try to hunt down an error in the code I often find myself changing a bit, compiling, copying to SMC, putting SMC in the GP and so on.. I know that that the Gamepark SDK supports compiling the GP code to a native W32 app, but I'd rather use DKA than MSVC. Or is there perhaps any way to test the code using the SDT? I received the ARM CD some weeks ago, it has to be here somewhere.. :unsure:

Any help will be appreciated! :)

Pretty much everyone I know who devs for GP32 uses GeePee 32, a GP32 emulator. It runs FXE, GXB and also edits/reads a virtual SMC file. Head to http://users.skynet.be/firefly/gp32/ and download a build, and his makesmc utils.

I have two makes, one for testing, one for final, and I simply configure the testing make to run GeePee with the gxb after building.

- Rico

I personally use MSVC 6 for the Win32 native build, using the GP32 SDK. I make sure things like the libmodplay etc are all used on conditional defines:

#define usemodlib_on

#if usemodlib_on
PlayMod etc etc
#endif

Then I copy everything I have in my common dir (where I store all my .h include files etc which contain gfx and music) to a dir I have in c:\devkitadv\code\game, then I turn on the defines for libmodplay, and run my make file in that dir. If all goes well I have a finished gxb file. I then dbclick on a batch file to create an fxe of my game and copy to my GP32. The devkitadv code also automatically runs after building in geepee32 :)

Should've thought before I posted. :rolleyes: Well but there is no such thing as a stupid question, eh? ;) Thanks for the fast replies, I'll try the GeePee prior to installing VC7 again..

The native code compile function doesn't allow for a lot of developer freedom.

Personally I would advise using GCC + Visual Studio + Visual Assist, and GPLink for testing (use the autorun function). Just hook your gp32 to your PC using your USB cable, run gplink and upload+run your program. No need to put program on your smc, put smc in gp32 etc. GPLink ROCKS!

/Inopia

Back