Did I Bork My Nubs?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
All of a sudden my right nub stopped going back to the centre, I cannot reset it in a nice way. I hope it isnt borked :(

The thing is it is very warm here 30+ degrees celcius and the rubber inside felt a lot less responsive all of a sudden and now once in a while it keeps at a spot. I hope it will somehow go back to 'normal' anybody else with this experience?

Unfortunately it has been reported by others and the only real solution was to send it back :(

This has happened to me twice. :( I'm awaiting instructions for sending back my second unit.

Prometheus said:
This has happened to me twice. :( I'm awaiting instructions for sending back my second unit.

With all these broken nubs, I'm not sure to start playing (I mean games) with my pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let you guys know ,on both my old units my anologs were bad (not calibrating properly) but they were not totaly off centre and possibly with changing the dead zone and a proper realtime software recalibration tool those anologs would have been ok (mabe).

now since i had these problems i did man handle the anologs quite a bit to try and work them in but all this did was make the anologs feel slightly less responsive (less smooth) but they still remained exactly the same in calibration terms so to let you all know ... i could not for the life of me break any of those anologs to the point where they would not go back to centre and work in a normal fashion (incase people are now scared to use the anologs and thinking they will all break as this is NOT the case.

could we be having the same problems as these guys on ubuntu forums ? it seems that ubuntu or other linux distros could be having problems withg calibration in general ,other possibilities are conflicts with alsa sound and (joystick) software driver ,i think we need software writen just for the pandora anolog controls and i think this is important as we could all be damaging those controls without realising it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=55173&page=2

I gather that this issue is to do with a manufacturing error. What happens is that in spite of very normal and non-rough usage (to clarify: In my case, mouse usage only - not even gaming!), the nubs will very suddenly become excessively loose, will permanently stop returning to their centre and in some cases will physically stick in certain directions (and I know what I'm talking about - it's happened on both of my units :p ).

Unfortunately, software solutions won't help in cases where the nubs came off of the production line faulty in the first place. ;) This is why they're being checked more thoroughly now, and I gather that the nub company will be covering the costs of rectifying the problem that has occurred.

Prometheus said:
I gather that this issue is to do with a manufacturing error. What happens is that in spite of very normal and non-rough usage (to clarify: In my case, mouse usage only - not even gaming!), the nubs will very suddenly become excessively loose, will permanently stop returning to their centre and in some cases will physically stick in certain directions (and I know what I'm talking about - it's happened on both of my units :p ).
yes I also mainly used it as mouse and I would say the same thing one nub became loose and doesnt centre. It was a very sudden thing.

Bosbeetle said:
yes I also mainly used it as mouse and I would say the same thing one nub became loose and doesnt centre. It was a very sudden thing.
My right nub (that was supposed to be faulty, but at first only required proper centring to be used as mouse buttons), did that recently. But yeah now i really have a one-nub unit... (I'm going to replace it manually when they come available).

Similar problem here. I was told to send it back. Basically you pay to ship it back anyway you want and they use the same shipping method you chose the first time to send it back. I'm kinda irked about paying any more money and having to send it back but I really have no choice because I also have the screen flicker problem and I'm not comfortable taking my pandora apart to fix it myself. I'd really have a problem sending it back twice though. Have the people that send it back twice paid for shipping twice?

I have not sent it back twice yet but I plan on doing so, especially if the nub issues are really fixed. Then I dont mind paying for shipping 2 times. OPT also pays for shipping these 2 times so its split evenly and I think thats fair.

My left nub is showing a similar fault. It works fine at first (and stays fine as long as you don't exceed 50% of its threshold) but after doing a few full cirles when you go 10-20% to the left the cursor goes to the right then when you go up 100% it drifts diagonal left. I will probably leave it as it is until they are available to buy

Does anyone know when this may be?

I would love to buy it and sort it myself. there is no way I'm sending it off at this time. I use it too much to justify it

Bit devastated but oh well, I only use it for mouse ATM and have swapped them over in nub settings for now.

Maybe Craigix has some insight as to when we could order them or maybe we can order them now?

This thread disturbs me. Do we have any idea about ratio of defective nubs (or any other defects)? I know it is really hard to keep track of all these things with all of the units being shipped out, but I would like to know how likely it is for my Panda to arrive with a defect. I have waited so long I would be very upset to get a unit with something wrong with it. I know there have been other issues as well, and I am starting to get nervous about the condition my panda will arrive in. I know manufacturing defects are unavoidable in ALL products, it just seems like the ratio of shipped units to defects is high (from my perspective as a forum member not privy to the inner working).

^ Prometheus' link in post #7 is a good read. Hopefully all nubs will work from now on.

I have to say that my nub worked fine till this point, they are pretty nice to use. I used them as mouse a lot. Ive played to day of the tentacle and broken sword just with nubs. I think the percentage of nubs showing what mine does now is not super high otherwise there would be far more people replying here, its just 3 and 3 of the very early units (mine is number 135, and my previous #61) I havent seen any higher numbers (we should be close to 1000 now) being defective. I guess these are the children deceases that a lot of companies have to deal with (look at all the iphone 4's that are out now I think they will fix it as well) OPT just didnt have the money to make a pre-run of 1000 units to iron these things out (and it would have been 2 months extra for the early users) I have to say that the user support has been outstanding and I know I will enjoy my pandora for many more years! Ive been using it dayly and I cannot remember how I got through my train travel without it :p (I do read less books now sadly :( the haruki murakami i got for my birthday lies still untouched in my bag)

Like i said before ,this issue the op has does not reflect the general condition most nubs have (BUT) most nubs do not seem to calibrate properly at all ,i am amazed some people actuly have fully working nubs without calibration issues ,the reason i am amazed at this is the alternative would be that all nubs have a hardware/firmware fault as most people have been reporting nubs not totaly working without calibration errors. (don't quote me on that)

As i also said before ,i think with the calibration issue we should look into better software calibration settings and deadzone tweeks,this could really help ,i get my 3rd unit today so if both those nubs are like my last two units (in that) they do not calibrate properly then that will be a total of six anolog nubs all with the very same faulty characteristics and those are units from the begining,mid and end of batch.

The calibration issue is that when you boot up the nubs work fine until you use them 100%left 100%right 100%up 100%down then the calibration goes off to the point they are no longer useful ,i do see this as a software fault but i could be wrong and it could be the anolog onchip memory or something hardware related to the anolog nub firmware or even a conflict with other pandora hardware.

I hope OPT take note of this becase currently they are trying to locate and fix the issues with anolog nubs that no longer work in the phisical form but there is more to it ,for you guys that really want to test your nubs out,goto nub settings and make both nubs as mouse movement ,try a few full circles clockwise or anticlockwise then move in diagnals ,does your mouse still move properly or has it stopped going up/down/left/right or just simply moving slower in any of those directions ?

Back