Did I Destroy My Front Light, Or Did It Die By Coincidence?

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Hi. I got my GP32 FLU yesterday, and all was fine with it. Today, I tried to remove the anti-glare coating with some Windex, and accidentally leaked it between the light guide and the outer plastic screen (space between light guide and LCD is sealed tight, I won't remove it 'cause I've heard the horror stories). Anyway, I pried off the grey surround and cleaned up the stuff that spilled over, but shortly afterward my front light flickered and went out. Did it die by coincidence, or did I do something that killed it? Also, is there any way to fix it? I e-mailed a company that works with light guides and backlights to see if they'd be able to do anything with it, but I doubt it.

Hopefully nothing is damaged.

Keep it switched off for a few hours, Maybe upto 24 hours, To give it time to dry out.

Then try testing it again, Say tomorrow, And see how it goes.

Worth a try.

Trooper

Anything's worth a shot...

The four hours I just spent at work didn't do anything for it though, so I guess I'll wait longer.

I'll leave the grey surround off, hopefully that'll help.

Yes the FLUs are very finicky. Mine stopped working for several months (even sent it in for repair to no avail), and then it started miraculously working again. You'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Can I tell if the LEDs are burnt out with a multimeter? Should I get infinite resistance if they are? I seem to be getting between 200 and 500 ohms of resistance right now, after desoldering the leads. I also appear to be getting exactly 3.5v across the leads. It also seems that the resistor connected to the switch is shorted somehow (though I thought if it was blown it would have infinite resistance). Hmm... Maybe I should replace that before hooking it all back up.

EDIT: :lol: On the bright side, at least I have all that annoying purple haze wiped off the screen now.

Back