Will my Pandora explode if I plug it in the US?

Niriel

Still Fresh
I just brought my Pandora with me to the United States. Since it came with a power converter that accepts 110V, and a NEMA plug (US/Japanese style), I thought it would be safe to plug it here. So I did. The power LED of the Pandora started blinking red. I usually have a steady red light when it charged. Blinking things worry me.

What do you think?

I just brought my Pandora with me to the United States. Since it came with a power converter that accepts 110V, and a NEMA plug (US/Japanese style), I thought it would be safe to plug it here. So I did. The power LED of the Pandora started blinking red. I usually have a steady red light when it charged. Blinking things worry me.

What do you think?
As far as i know there is a specific charger for each region so i wouldnt try charging it in america.Not sure about usb standards and such as you can also charge the pandora via usb from say a laptop computer etc.

The power LED of the Pandora started blinking red. I usually have a steady red light when it charged. Blinking things worry me.
If the charger fits and is for 110V on the identification plate than it should be safe to use. Without a pandora and its charger on hands i could check only my cell phone power adapter which is for 100V-240V.

I crosschecked the unoffical user manual on the wiki, the only reference to a blinking LED was implemented in hotfix 3 and on. http://www.gp32x.de...fix-3-released/

* Battery-Settings: LED now starts blinking at 10% and shuts down at 5%.
So i think you battery is below 10% now and that blinking will stop after some time of charging.

Turn it on with the charger connected and check the battery status on the desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I still have 50 % of battery, so it's not warning me about the fact that I'm running low. I'm using hotfix 6 btw.

It shouldn't be blinking, as far as I know. Have you tried another plug socket?

Protip: Use a PSP charger =P 20$ and so far it works fine for me.

Edit: Make sure its non generic ( eg. SONY branded )

Never had a problem in the states.

I use my voltage valet made by wonpro.

Last edited:
That's kind of odd. Is it a bright/low blink, or a solid on/off blink? As far as I know, the only time you should get a solid on/off blink is potentially when the battery reaches 100% and the charge circuit quickly flickers between full and still charging, but it shouldn't do that in HF6 anymore since the charge circuit is more tightly controlled.

Also, there's no difference between the Pandoras shipped to the US and those delivered through Europe. The only differences are in the charge blocks, and if the one you've got says 2A, 110Volt then it should be perfectly fine. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, any (reputable) PSP charger should work.

The blinking is very regular, and it's a solid on/off, not high/low. It flashes a bit more than twice a second. It's very unlike the irregular blinking we have when the battery is almost full and only charges once in a while.

if youre on vacation in US by some famous place/building/whatnot, be sure to follow a short lived tradition of taking a picture of a pandora in front of world famous places/buildings/people/whatnot

The low battery blink is in the config as:

27 blink_interval 2 # frequency of blink

28 blink_duration 50000 # how long a blink lasts, in uSecs

So should blink every 2s, lasting for a short blip.

If its twice a second, its not the low battery one.

jeff

Probably it's the pin of the battery that don't make a good contact with the pins of the motherboard...i have experienced that similar situation with a blinking red led, resolved with a light pressure on the battery cover. :)

Back