Did You Get Your Retail Wiz? Post About It Here!

DurTahar posted on May 22 2009 at 05:52 AM said:
Going by GPH's website, the Wiz never claimed to be able to play mp4 movies.
what format do they need to be in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R posted on May 22 2009 at 07:46 PM said:
AVI is just a container format.
I was just about to step in! I'm a real video/audio nut ;)

Sparx posted on May 22 2009 at 07:50 PM said:
AVI is to big a file. Does it not support compressed formats?
You are saving an AVI file in which the video (and possibly) audio streams have no compression. Use MP3 compression for the audio and XviD compressions for the video (512kbps should be sufficient for most videos on the Wiz).

It's a container format! Divx and Xvid should show you that not all avi is big. Think of avi as a genre of video format. then think of this genre having several sub generes DIVX Xvid. even some MP4 FLV MKV. these are all sub generes.

Devilmandex posted on May 22 2009 at 11:54 AM said:
It's a container format! Divx and Xvid should show you that not all avi is big. Think of avi as a genre of video format. then think of this genre having several sub generes DIVX Xvid. even some MP4 FLV MKV. these are all sub generes.
I am using handbrake and trying to convert my mp4s to a avi Xvid but it does not work.

Sparx posted on May 22 2009 at 12:03 PM said:
Devilmandex posted on May 22 2009 at 11:54 AM said:
I am using handbrake and trying to convert my mp4s to a avi Xvid but it does not work.
will i have to reconvert all my videos from the original source.

Lack of codecs is likely the problem. Google CCC codecs. community combined Codecs. you'll find it. it has everything you'll need codec-wise

Devilmandex posted on May 22 2009 at 09:06 PM said:
Lack of codecs is likely the problem. Google CCC codecs. community combined Codecs. you'll find it. it has everything you'll need codec-wise
Well, I just got my Wiz about an hour ago and I'm liking it :). The video player isn't good. Well, I only tried a one file (american dad) and I didn't convert it. So the video was choppy and pixelated. At the moment I'm trying to the emulators running. The photo, comix viewer and music are ok. Put some pictures on they look very nice with the oled screen.

Regards

André

Devilmandex posted on May 22 2009 at 12:06 PM said:
your website is communist.

I have received it yesterday, and after 5 minutes showing it to my wife, I have no more opportunity to get it in my hands again :eek: she is in love with it :D , but the most curious is that with one friend of mine we have bought it together, call me today telling me his wife also has kidnapped his Wiz too :)
Seems DHG has created a too much sexy irresistible thing. Will wait when my wife goes to sleep to see if I can install all those funny things out there, but I'm afraid this will be the last time I see my long desired Wiz while my wife is awake.
Well seems I will have to wait to the Pandora to have a toy to play with, I hope my wife wasn't able to play with both at time <_<

Seems DHG has created a too much sexy irresistible thing. Will wait when my wife goes to sleep to see if I can install all those funny things out there, but I'm afraid this will be the last time I see my long desired Wiz while my wife is awake.
Well seems I will have to wait to the Pandora to have a toy to play with, I hope my wife wasn't able to play with both at time <_<
haha thats funny :D
at least yours has been delivered. I have to wait til sometime in june ugh!

Got mine a few days ago, took less than a week after ordering at Dynamism (Gizmine).

Re video, I had attempted to view an MP4 but was unable; wouldn't even show up in the Wiz's menu. Used AVS Video Converter 6.2 to wrap it in AVI (and scale down to 320x240) and it plays fine.

My first impressions (I received it a week ago or so):

The touchscreen seems nice. I drew a few lines with my finger nail before realizing that the bulge underneath the unit holds a stylus.
So I pulled it out and was immediately disappointed. Why is this oval? (I suppose to fit into a limited space slot).
However it has to be the worst stylus I've used and I've used a few PDAs and touchscreen gaming devices over the years.

Boot speed is okay.
Screen is nice - haven't tried it in daylight yet. Contrast looks excellent.
I haven't noticed the screen tearing (yet).
The controller is passable, much better than the original GP2X but with the DaveC mod, the GP2X feels nicer to me.
The buttons are not my cup of tea - the shape and the little chrome bits are both ugly and not practical.

Hey, check it out, it's got a clock in it - hooray! Finally date-stamps for files! The first Gamepark handheld with a clock that keeps it's time.
I really wish the GP2X had this.

Non-standard connector for the USB cable isn't great. Yet another cable I need to have lying around.
I now have 2x GP32 (BLU and FLU), standard mini-USB (PSP and GP2X), Canon digital camera cable and now the Wiz. <_<
As least it charges from this so no batteries to worry about (for a while).
The bad thing is that when it runs out, it's out, you can't easily carry a spare (or can you?)

So far, battery life seems good.

Probably the biggest weakness is it's clock speed.
Casual users will think that "800Mhz" will be really fast (wow, as fast as the Pandora?)
No way, the benchmarks are different. Looks like it's almost a 2:1 ratio (compare to the GP2X).

Overall verdict - typical Gamepark release. Sounds like it's amazingly good on paper but has a few flaws though none of them are critical.
I'm still mainly using my GP2X at the moment.

QUOTE (skeezix)
No way, the benchmarks are different. Looks like it's almost a 2:1 ratio (compare to the GP2X).

2:1 meaning a 533MHz Wiz is like a 266MHz GP2X? Because my benchmarks are showing something like that too, but Franxis's paint a very different story. Surely it has to be dependent on how the memory does. A cache line reload on Wiz takes less than twice the cycles it does on GP2X, but I think a line replace + writeback is taking a huge amount of time, as if it's not going on the writeback buffer. I'd have to do more tests I don't really feel like doing..

With tightened memory timings on Wiz you should get slightly better performance too. This only affects timings for row crossing, not for column address latency which I think is 100% pipelined and masked when writing off of the writeback buffer. So upping these timings didn't show any benefit in my cache miss tests since those were running around blocks of memory very linearly, but in a real world program they might give a boost, similar to how they have on GP2X.

I wonder if Temper is getting hit harder by the difference in memory because it's mostly running in highly optimized ARM ASM. Maybe I should compare the C core versions on GP2X vs Wiz just to see how it stacks. The theory being that less optimized code would be burning more in register to register code or in very well cached memory like the stack. A lower number of frames per second also means a smaller percentage execution time where the application is writing things to the framebuffer, which is a compulsory speed loss.

Since I'm going to be hitting the Wiz tonight for sure let me know if anyone has any specific benchmarks in mind >_> If I fix my problems with Temper then I'll be firing up the GP2X too to make sure the GP2X version works so I can release both. So I can do benchmarks between the two.

Back