Different Modes For Right-analog Stick?

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Hey gang.

There are two modes I could see being useful.

Mode 1: Leave where it left off. (Usual scenario for Analog mouse movement)
Mode 2: Snap-Back to center

Mode 1: Would be useful for Desktop Usage and FPS.

Mode 2: would be good for games like Neverball so that controlling the world would be more like Super Monkey Ball. Maybe it could help for RTS's?

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are always left up to the application, and they pretty much handle it the way they want to.

I don't see what there is to be discussed here, other than how Flight Simulator 'leaves it where it is' and is thus extremely difficult to use with a keyboard. Jerks.

Also, doesn't this apply equally to the left analog stick?

Well I figured it would be in software. But if it emulated a mouse from the get-go the developer wouldn't have to worry about adapting the (mouse) analog stick to his port.

hmm.
I know the touchscreen will be a mouse, but I don't know if they have any plans to use the analog sticks as part of the mouse.

I suppose that would be convenient if you don't want to use the touchscreen, but it would have to be in relative mode [joystick's position is mouse's velocity, not position] to be practical.
In fact, mice actually report everything in relative terms, and the X server just tracks the cursor location separately.
In the case of an FPS, the program usually gets the relative information directly through something like DirectX or SDL, and captures the mouse.

This is more complicated than I thought.

If it were my choice, I would have the touchscreen as the mouse, the left analog as a relative mouse control, and then leave it to the developer to either use the mouse or joysticks or touchscreen.

While I know it is arbitrary. The right-stick (analog or digital) has usually been the defaulting "pointing" control. The left stick is usually for navigation.

Smash TV, Geometry Wars and every console fps have the default pointing option as the right-stick. I think it is an unwritten standard.

For RTS it probably would be better to use the touchscreen. But to play any FPS in a portable fashion, the best way would to be to use the analog sticks, IMO.

To be honest, I thought the right-analog stick was already going to be a global mouse control. The only thing that would need to be mapped is WASD on the left analog stick.

But the "snap-back" mode I could see as helpful for Neverball type games and RTS style games.

Won't the D-Pad be the simplest way to control the cursor besides touch screen?

'Kekerot' said:
Won't the D-Pad be the simplest way to control the cursor besides touch screen?
Absolutely not.

minitrackball.jpg

:D

I know right analog is usually camera, but I would think moving the mouse cursor would count as movement, and so you should at least have the option of having it on the left analog.

Unless the window manager is doing something really important with the analog sticks, you could just as well have both of them controlling the mouse.

Right analog is for camera [panning/scrolling] or turning/pointing. Left is for movement [of the cursor] and menu navigation.

I've always liked the idea of mapping desktop functions to different positions on an unused analog, but scrolling is also cool (although I think the PSP's hold-button-to-scroll scheme works well, as broken as the browser is).

I kinda like the idea of using the one analog for a mouse and the d-pad for left, right, page up, page down or something like that
Id rather not use the stylus that much. I ruined my DS that way

I, personally am never going to use the analog nub as the mouse. Trying to navigate through menus, using dialog boxes, etc will be much, much easier with the touchscreen.

Large icons my friend...

Perhaps D-Pad for navigation and ABXY for left click, right click, etc?

I mean that seems like a better set up..

The touch screen will obviously be there with the stylus, but maybe an option to enable this would be nice. I'm sure there are people out there who would rather use buttons

'Raz' said:
Large icons my friend...

I mean that seems like a better set up..

The touch screen will obviously be there with the stylus, but maybe an option to enable this would be nice. I'm sure there are people out there who would rather use buttons
Well... Is mouse movement via keys going to be implemented/possible to implement via third party?

'Raz' said:
I kinda like the idea of using the one analog for a mouse and the d-pad for left, right, page up, page down or something like that
Id rather not use the stylus that much. I ruined my DS that way
I completely agree with this and would like to know if this will be done for release as an option or something.

Also as a side question related to the touch screen will the pandora's official "case" accessory have something to protect the touch screen? Maybe a soft plastic cover?

Please do pardon my off-topicness, here. :p It's just I saw Cron_'s post above and felt a link was necessary. :p

'Cron_' said:
Also as a side question related to the touch screen will the pandora's official "case" accessory have something to protect the touch screen? Maybe a soft plastic cover?
As far as I'm aware, the case is probably going to be in the vein of those airform cases for the DS, and most likely won't have anything to do with the touch-screen at all. That said, unless something has changed, the Pandora's screen is the same one as the Archos 605 WiFi, for which screen-protectors are readily available. For example, at the link below;

CODE
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DuraSec-ClearTec-screen-protection-Archos/dp/B0019RDD2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226521259&sr=8-3

I hope this is useful. :)

'Prometheus' said:
I hope this is useful. :)
haha yes that was very useful. Thanks.

So hopefully a developer will see my plea for an analog stick way of cursor control. Maybe even demo it if it is already available. :D

'Raz' said:
'Raz' said:
Does anybody have a better suggestion than any of these? I like the second one....

Back