Directional Control Key Problem?

stevester

Still Fresh
Hi there,

Just received my GP2x-F200 this afternoon - Woo Hoo!

Turned it on and tried the inbuilt games. 2 of them (Ghostpix and Phishy) wouldn't play properly as the selection cursor (and my fish!) kept running to the top right of the screen, as if I was holding down up and right. It seems to be intermittent - occured the first 5 times I reset the unit then happens every now and again since.

If I lightly tap the front of the case around the directional keys it seems to clear up.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same problem and whether I need to send it back (or drop it off as I only live 5 mins away from the postal address!).

[had a search on the forum and couldn't find a similar post]

Cheers,

Steve.

Duddyroar said:
Sounds a bit strange. Have you tried anything other games/emus? Is the problem present with those, too?
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I've was playing with it last night and was intermittently getting the fault but it only seems to occur when the machine is first turned on. Once it corrects itself (by light tapping) it hasn't yet jumped back to acting strange until reset.

I installed one of the spectrum emulators and the Outcast(?) Atari ST emulator and both are working without problem (I'm very impressed!!) and the keypad was working as expected. :) I didn't have much luck with Mame as it wouldn't recognise any of the roms (the ones I have are at least 8 years old!) and I've not tried it since I attempted to convert them using the CLR(?) utility as it was late last night. Will try tonight though.

Unless it starts to get worse I think I can live with it, though if it is going to pack in I'd rather it did it now than 6 months down the line.

On another issue (off this topic but still noob) it absolutely eats the batteries - went through 4 sets and the last couple I put in yesterday lasted for just over 15 mins!! Will be looking at getting a high capacity set with a recharger today! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had emulators launch as if the game pad was being pressed and the selection screen would continualy scroll. So this sounds like the same thing to me. I just press right or left on the pad and it fixes itself immediatly. It seems to me that the tightness of the dpad when it is new causes for false calibrations for the dpad if had to guess. I haven't had it happen hardly at all now though.. Just when I first got it. I think the dpad just had to loosen up a little bit or something..

Oh and by the way, you will want to have mame 0.34 roms for them to work.

prplehz said:
I have had emulators launch as if the game pad was being pressed and the selection screen would continualy scroll. So this sounds like the same thing to me. I just press right or left on the pad and it fixes itself immediatly. It seems to me that the tightness of the dpad when it is new causes for false calibrations for the dpad if had to guess. I haven't had it happen hardly at all now though.. Just when I first got it. I think the dpad just had to loosen up a little bit or something..

Oh and by the way, you will want to have mame 0.34 roms for them to work.
Thanks for the reply prplehz,

I think you're right - I've used it over the last few days and the keypad has been working without problem. It must have loosened up.

Also right about the roms :) - i eventually figured out how to use the clrmamepro program and converted them to 0.34 - out of the hundred or so I tried about 40-50% seem to work which is more than I'd expected.

On the battery issue, i bought some 2700 AAs and a charger and I'm getting a couple of hours use which is a couple of good sessions.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back