Disable Post Count in Off-Topic or all together

I see no point in excluding posts from the count...  that just means you get an inaccurate count.   It should be either disabled entirely or remain active and count everything.  

Personally I see no point in disabling it,  it's just extra effort for little to no effect except perhaps to annoy people who like the feature, which isn't a good reason to do it.

-Neelix

I voted yes, but shouldn't there also be a poll "Is Wally doing an amazingly good job as mod"?
Prime Ministers have been removed (5 PMs in 5 years) from Australian Parliament quite easily enough, so mod removal shouldn't be too hard. Am I right, Wally?
Since, I live close to you in Melbourne...maybe you should have a real life meeting with me to discuss our differences?
Nah, what am I thinking...you're only good behind your computer.

EDIT: I also pm'd you.

Realistically I could file a police report for this post as it's quite threatening. I am a nice guy and I wouldn't do that and sadly wont' be meeting you IRL for these circumstances. Probably have brushed past you a lot in the CBD though xD 

Anyway I am not targeting anyone here and it's just to try and promote more discussion around the Pyra and Pandora and NOT to curb the social aspect of this forum.

shouldn't there also be a poll "Is Wally doing an amazingly good job as mod"?

I think that to be perfectly honest such a poll would be overwhelmingly in favour of Wally as the mod who does his job best. He's friendly, he considers what he's doing and then by golly he goes ahead and gets it done. He's always been fair, he never once took offence when I told him to eff off when he warned me about trolling and he's just an all-round good egg. 

If there are people on the forum that don't see him that way then I suspect the problem is theirs rather than his.
Thank you for these words. It was heart warming to see some one that cares! It helped me get through the day that's for sure! :)

Id venture a guess that it was you that removed said thread, wally? Which proves, along with a number of other locking, removing and autosaging efforts, nothing. At least insofar as your point goes. Or what point you are trying to make of it.

Yeah I removed it. It's mostly because I wanted to experiment to see if some people would complain about it and their lack of post count and is the primary reason I created this thread. From time to time, threads need to be deleted and made non existent as there's new things that could be created and are seen as counter-productive, especially now that in the previous example:
a ) YouTube links may have been removed over time due to copyright protests by the artists as some people aren't getting royalties for said music if the music is published by an unauthorized person.
b ) There's no evidence that anyone is viewing the content thus being a distraction for others.
c ) There was significant posting from some individuals in a small period of a day or so which caused the thread to pop on-top of more important threads.

What does the op mean by 'disable' with reference to posts in off-topic?  Does he mean to hide them there, so they're not shown, or does he mean that posts there shouldn't count towards your overall post count?

If the former, I vote for hiding the post count in all contexts.  However, if it's possble to not count off-topic posts towards the post count number, it may still have some value.  We still need a way to encourage people to post useful comments in useful threads, and if that's it then it can stay.

I mostly was gauging Off-Topic content as it doesn't contribute in anyway to the on-topic stuff but defeating the post count all together is an even better idea ;)

@wally

a ) YouTube links may have been removed over time due to copyright protests by the artists as some people aren't getting royalties for said music if the music is published by an unauthorized person.
Which applies to probably 50% of the threads on this board, as there are surly a lot of links that point to nowhere now - its the internet, things get deleted / moved around all the time
b ) There's no evidence that anyone is viewing the content thus being a distraction for others.
How do you know ? And I like to decide what distracts me and what not. From what btw. ?
c ) There was significant posting from some individuals in a small period of a day or so which caused the thread to pop on-top of more important threads.
Which has exactly what consequences ? That other "very important" topics like "Super Mario Maker","Tokio Game Show 2015", etc. get moved down exactly one position in the list ?

This seems like a random act to me

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the post count is one of the main motivations for frequent posting here,

however I don't see any point in having a post count to begin with, since it doesn't really convey any useful or meaningful information at all.
(because quantity ≠ quality and because the post frequency would be a more meaningful at least, but isn't displayed)
So I won't miss it :p

One of the boards that I visit (EAB, the English Amiga Board) has a neat way to defeat the pollution of the main board with off-topic posts - instead of offering a "View new content" link, they have "new posts" and "new off-topic posts" links. This allows people who are there to get help or are there for the Amiga chat to get a concise list without off-topic cruft.

Post counts are still available and there's literally zero spamming for post counts - and the boards are really active. 

Might be worth thinking about? We have filters here but there's one real problem with that - a new user is unlikely to filter before they start reading.

D.

Why the heck posts positions are moving in this thread ?!!?

Because this subforum was designed for a questions and answers format a la stackoverflow, so individual "answers" can be voted up or down. (see the left side of each post)    At the top of the "Answers" section there is an option to sort by date, but you have to select it each time you load the "thread".  
See also: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/5600001-issues-section-post-sorting/

-Neelix

Got me by surprise too - it seems this isn't a thread, but a question.
So the site seems to handle this like stackoverflow/etc. - top rated answers go first.

So the whole thing looks quote confusing now, because you can't comment on replies like on other sides, just quote others in your post. But then it's possible your post will be on top of the quoted post, depending on the rating... ^^

Because this subforum was designed for a questions and answers format a la stackoverflow, so individual "answers" can be voted up or down. (see the left side of each post)    At the top of the "Answers" section there is an option to sort by date, but you have to select it each time you load the "thread".  
See also: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/5600001-issues-section-post-sorting/

-Neelix
It hurts !

Post count is important information for new users unaware of the community veterans. In combination with observation of the rigor and reason of one's posts, you can quickly ascertain which people are trustworthy in their replies.

I've not seen this feature disabled on any of the other forums I frequent.

Post count is important information for new users unaware of the community veterans. In combination with observation of the rigor and reason of one's posts, you can quickly ascertain and establish which people to trust in seeking answers.

This is why I would of liked the post count still enabled, but not count up on posts in the off-topic sections. 

Edit: although I understand the difficulty in doing that.

Post count is important information for new users unaware of the community veterans.

Although I agree with the rest of your post, this is one of those things I see as being unimportant and for the potential to be abused.  Someone with thousands of posts may be taken seriously by someone new, while someone with only hundreds or less may be dismissed as also being new.  If the thousander is joking and the hundreder is giving good information there could be a problem.

Although I agree with the rest of your post, this is one of those things I see as being unimportant and for the potential to be abused.  Someone with thousands of posts may be taken seriously by someone new, while someone with only hundreds or less may be dismissed as also being new.  If the thousander is joking and the hundreder is giving good information there could be a problem.

The risk they may be trusted when they shouldn't still remains, post count or not. People trusting the number by itself (on any forum!) would quickly learn their error.

That's all hypothetical anyway. The post count wasn't removed because of some weird users building up post counts and then fooling others. It was purely for spam reasons.

The risk they may be trusted when they shouldn't still remains, post count or not. People trusting the number by itself (on any forum!) would quickly learn their error.

That's all hypothetical anyway. The post count wasn't removed because of some weird users building up post counts and then fooling others. It was purely for spam reasons.
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at.  I was merely giving an example.  My point is that post count and "veteran status" don't matter, but some people might give them undue consideration.

Yeah, the stackflow voting posts up and down thing is nonsense. it's confusing and unless there is a good reason for it. Lose it.

At least replies to the threads there aren't treated as new answers... Unlike here. This very post is considered an answer!

D.

Post count is important information for new users unaware of the community veterans. In combination with observation of the rigor and reason of one's posts, you can quickly ascertain which people are trustworthy in their replies.

We still have the little dots that increase as you first start posting don't we?  Most people get to three dots rather rapidly, and there's nothing beyond three dots, but it helps identify fellow newbies I guess.

Also, as others have hinted at, having a high post count here is demonstrably not a good indicator of the expected quality of postings, in a few notable cases :eek: ;)

Not really - as you can still see the number of dots and something like "Advanced Member" below the nickname.
Post count is important information for new users unaware of the community veterans. In combination with observation of the rigor and reason of one's posts, you can quickly ascertain and establish which people to trust in seeking answers.I've not seen this feature disabled on any of the other forums I frequent.

This is why I would of liked the post count still enabled, but not count up on posts in the off-topic sections. 

Edit: although I understand the difficulty in doing that.
Actually, that's easy. I can simply configure each single forum whether the post count should increase or not there.

Back